Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times

Advertisements

Morning Campers.

Good for you Jody-start the year off right.

Stoy-did the washer get fixed?

I know Tex is chilling' and sipping.

NJS where are you??????

Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,445,732 times
Morning out there............
JODY>....Congrats on the first contract of the yr., here is to many many more. I am beginning to think that if just half of the agents/realtors answered there dang phones we wouldn't be in this mess, lol

Sitting here trying to get brave enough to go to the barn, lugging water again of course. Not fun first thing in the a.m.. Craziest thing....my swimming pool is iced over!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,150,125 times
OMG Painter...can't believe it's that cold down there. I guess from hearing everyone's heating bills, that gas is the cheapest. We were all electric in NY, (heat, dryer, oven, hot water heater) with a wood stove and a pellet stove that we ran constantly. Our friends had oil heat. They would sometimes have to fill their tanks up a few times during the winter months...500-1000 gallon tanks x price of heating oil...not cheap, especially when it went up over $4. It's funny, even with gas for cars, for those of you who know New Jersey, it's always much cheaper than NY. So glad to be out of NY. Crazyma, sound like you have your house all bundled up and air tight.

Here's raising my cup of coffee to Texas, who's probably sitting out on the deck in a lounge chair looking at the beautiful dark blue water all around her. Jody, great news about your first sale! Dogmom, you have quite a collection of decorating possibilities. It's so hard not to be sentimental about our things. Stoy, sounds like the washer problem fixed itself...great news. Joy, has the wind died down yet? What is Martyrs Day based on? Lacey, what are you cooking today? Hi to everyone else. It's minus 4 this morning, but should be in the 40s by Thursday.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Hey there Tambre...Are you loving' the cold yet? Yes it is unbelievable how cold it has gotten here. Breaking ice for the horses was a distant memory until now....even my pool has ice in it!
I have all electric and I dread the bill for this month...we had gas yrs ago and I thought it was high and I hated waiting for the guy to come fill it, we had horrible service back then and occasionally would run out. If I get to build I will be looking into it again...along with a wood burner for back up.
Have you finalized any barn plans or do you have to wait for Spring thaw?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Hey there Tambre...Are you loving' the cold yet? Yes it is unbelievable how cold it has gotten here. Breaking ice for the horses was a distant memory until now....even my pool has ice in it!
I have all electric and I dread the bill for this month...we had gas yrs ago and I thought it was high and I hated waiting for the guy to come fill it, we had horrible service back then and occasionally would run out. If I get to build I will be looking into it again...along with a wood burner for back up.
Have you finalized any barn plans or do you have to wait for Spring thaw?
Well, as far as the pole barn, my dh now wants scissor trusses and rafters on part of the roof, so he can make extra storage on a raised platform and have extra high ceiling height. The guy suggested putting two rafters, eight feet apart, and putting 2 x 8's spanning between them...this sounds like a recipe for sagging to me. What do you think? He's got the price down to $19,000, which is higher than any of the competitors. The price is including: a reinforced concrete slab (4,000 psi), four windows, a 12 x 40 lean-to (to park our cars under), insulation, a steel walk-in door, and a 10 x 10 insulated roll up door. That's not including leveling the ground.

When is your cold weather going to let up? Hauling water for the horses...now that'll heat you up. Think the gas/wood combination sounds like a great way to heat. Are you going to be moving to another rural area?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,191 times
Morning campers..I slept in, but I was up for a while during the night..I am trying to not come out into the living room if I wake up..go potty or whatever and crawl back into bed and read for a while..seems to work better than if I have to get up. We have the doggy door so little man can let himself in and out if he needs to go out during the night...

Where IS NJ? Hope she is ok and having fun with the kidlets..will email her. And Tex is having a blast, I just know it..something about being out at sea that clears your head and eases your mind..awww...guess I am missing 'the sea'.

Our son coming out at some point today, he threw a birthday party for a buddy last night so I don't expect to see him anytime soon, lol..need to get dressed and try to dig out more 'stuff' for the boy to take home...lol

Will check in later, you all try to stay warm, geez I cannot believe there is 'Global Warming'. BAH.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,049,410 times
Morning girls - getting a late start and still windy. I'm almost afraid to open emails as I answered a few yesterday morning then went F it. I work every dang weekend, including trying over New Years so said to heck with it. Well I'm going to pay for it when I finally look

Carol, that's just crazy about the swimming pool That's dang cold sister and especially having to haul water out to the barn for horses. I don't blame you for dreading your heating bill. I can deal with the winds and cool temps, but . . . stay warm!

Jody, congratulations! That's a great way to start 2010 and boy do I know what you mean about dealing with PITA on the other side of a deal. Want to smack some of them sometimes trying to get a deal closed and have them be so unresponsive. Have to restrain myself from whipping out the ole machete lol

Hey Amy, at least you're getting good advice on heating (4 below now) - dang can't believe some of those bills, course I don't have a heater (it's called socks and a hoodie lol), but some are paying more to heat houses than I pay in rent, electric, Direct TV, Internet/phone COMBINED! I too am raising a cup of coffee to Shel sitting the the deck of the cruise ship and man I would like to be there - after noon now so I'll be raising a cerveza lol. RE Martyr's day, on 9 January 1964 a group of PA students wanted to hang the flag of Panama next to the Stars & Stripes in the Canal Zone and, to avoid violence, a deal had been worked out to let them do it. However they were met by some Zonians who started singing the Star Spangled Banner and the Panamanian flag got torn. Course all he## broke loose in the City and throughout the Republic as news spread. Pretty sad actually because if they would have just been allowed to hang the Republic's flag, then the violence/deaths would be have been avoided. In some ways reminds me of what happened at Kent State during the war protests. http://www.duke.edu/~rrc7/violence.html gives a short description of things, some info that came when docs were declassified. This is one holiday I always close my offices.

Barb, glad that table is getting cleaned up - dang it I want that goose lol I know it would scare the crap out the chickens, though one of the roosters might try to, well . . . That's so cool you're giving those ornaments to the boys and other stuff (except that dang goose lol) will find a nice home! Hope you're having a good day and somewhat pain free girl.

Sara that's a great idea for keeping heating costs down - if it wasn't for Misty a/k/a The Shredder I would too during 'windy' season (January - 1st part of February), but she'd just play with them so it's like why bother.

Lacey, hope you and Mr. L. having a great Sunday and weather giving you somewhat of a break. I need to work on my keyboard 'cause my 'M' is sticking so need to find out what's under the darn thing so it doesn't keep sticking - guess that's what I get for eating and typing at the same time. Probably a bit of rice lol

Well, girls now the dreaded task of checking emails. Ugh. Not sure how many I'm going to answer 'cause I've needed one darn weekend without working all the time - too old to keep doing the 7 day a week thing. Got through some yesterday morning, but then stopped. Sure I have 30 or 40 new ones in there I'll pop back later and everyone try to stay warm!

OH and I got the coolest Christmas present from an attorney I work with a lot 'cause he actually knows what he's doing and I've become friends with him and his fiancee - it's a laptop stand with a cooling vent that sucks out heat and just needs to be plugged into one of my USB ports. Once I plugged it in yesterday (yeah, took me a while to get around to it lol), noticed an immediate difference in performance.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 PM

311 posts, read 916,101 times
HI everyone,

Just a quick stop in, I am on my way to the sewing studio. Starting a new project today...the last thing I need to do, but my creative side is itching for some play time!

Painter, hope that you are starting to warm up some. Its still very cold here, although they are saying Tues/Wed/Thurs will be above FREEZING here...wooohoooo....soon...very soon...we will be looking at the pretty posies again. Did you hear anymore from your agent about that showing?

Joy, glad you at least held out til Sunday...girlfriend you are right, this biz can chew your life up and spit it back in your face...be kind to yourself!
The way other agents work sometimes just drives me crazy..but I try to be tolerant..I dont know whats going on in their lives that might be distracting them...but its hard, especially when you have to fight like a tiger for every deal/dollar you make! WTG on the cooling pad for your laptop. I would not own a laptop that didnt have one. The biggest threat to all computers is heat...and when you have all that stuff crammed into a tiny little spot..keeping the laptop cool when running will extend its life and make it run better!

Barb, I hear you on the Hobby Lobby! I LOVE that store. Not only for the quilting fabric, but all the other dangerous things it has in it. Are you sick? I must have missed that...hope you feel better soon!

Tambre, sounds like a GREAT barn/garage...wow...you could put a kitchen in and live in it too, it sounds so nice...

Stoy/ CMa...hope you are doin good today too...stay warm and I hope the washer got back to working ok Stoy! I have been doing laundry today too.

Have a good week everyone....I hope it warms up for all of us
Attached Thumbnails
CRAZY Camp #6: for Sellers, Buyers, Agents & Friendly Folks-read post 1 or better... post 2 :)-crabapple.jpg  

Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Well, as far as the pole barn, my dh now wants scissor trusses and rafters on part of the roof, so he can make extra storage on a raised platform and have extra high ceiling height. The guy suggested putting two rafters, eight feet apart, and putting 2 x 8's spanning between them...this sounds like a recipe for sagging to me. What do you think? He's got the price down to $19,000, which is higher than any of the competitors. The price is including: a reinforced concrete slab (4,000 psi), four windows, a 12 x 40 lean-to (to park our cars under), insulation, a steel walk-in door, and a 10 x 10 insulated roll up door. That's not including leveling the ground.

When is your cold weather going to let up? Hauling water for the horses...now that'll heat you up. Think the gas/wood combination sounds like a great way to heat. Are you going to be moving to another rural area?
YOU are right! 2 at 8' is a recipe for sagging.... He can do it that way IF he puts in cross supports and reinforce the 2 rafters to accommodate the weight and ties into the rafter on both sides. What is he recommending for the rafters in that area, dlb 2x10 or 2x6s? My only concern is the weigh load on that area of roof system, it has to be spread out. Also depending on what you will be putting up there, if you have to walk on it, you need it to support ALL weight, also double up on plywood if needed and if you do that you need to lay it opposite directions....4x8 direction and top with 8x4 direction so your edges are not in the same spot....make sense?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Hey everyone,

Dogmom or Lorrie, were your kids near the 6.5 earthquake? Joy, that is so sad about Martyrs Day riot. Thanks for the informative link. The 60s were such a violatile time. Do you close the office due to possible anti-American sentiment stirred up by the memory of the incident? Painter, just talked to dh regarding the polebarn, and he said, they would double up the scissor trusses on either end of a 16 foot span. Then fill between with 2 x 8 x 16 purlins, 24 O.C. Any warmer in FL? Jody, have fun with your creative time. Sounds like a relaxing way to forget all about life's problems and get in the zone. Stoy, what are you up to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate