Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I understood what you meant. Some people simply are not the right fit, even if they do love each other. Love alone isn't enough to make a marriage work.
Me and my fiance recently broke up after nearly 7 years together. We were planning on getting married early next spring. I can absolutely empathize with what the OP is going through right now.... I do love him. A lot. But we both realized that we're on completely different planes and it just wasn't working. Our families and friends were very disappointed (and very vocal about it) but it's our lives, not theirs.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
2. I bet the fiancée is not American grown. So quit thrusting American fianceehood on her.
That's actually a good point.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's actually a good point.
Let's bet on it

Chinese
Japanese
Filipino
Cambodian
Kazakhstani
Sudanese

Only these parents can't speak English, the rest of the world is catching up

Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
read the posts. she is guna hate you either way. if you marry the wrong person, she will hate you for it, if you bail, she will hate you, either way your name is mud. now that i am old i regret 1 thing, i did not listen to my instincts until i was old. i listened to what others thought i should do, big mistake.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM

512 posts, read 1,435,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I'm wondering about that. If she's not American and doesn't have citizenship, that might account for a lot of the desperation to get married and the child care center in Sharpie's basement. Could be that she needs the marriage for permanent residency. (Hence why I'd never consider marrying a non-U.S. resident.)

This is a train wreck waiting to happen. I think we all know by now that he's going to go ahead with the marriage. How long he'll stay in it is anyone's guess, but I'm guessing less than a year.
no, she's already a citizen.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
it seems like the option with the least amount of immediate pain :-( I fully know and understand that it may not be the ideal thing to do given the circumstances, but i feel like i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. -Sharpie

Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,972 times
Wow, it took me 2 sittings to read every single response.

Firstly, I'd really like to say that I've noticed that you are a really nice and caring person.

If you weren't such a nice guy you would've kicked this woman out of your home and life by now.

You know that you don't belong together - I won't bother to quote your posts to back up my conclusions.

I will say some things though - she sounds abusive and she doesn't love you.

I know what love is, I love my husband for example - if we were still engaged and he kept approaching me with fears and doubts about the wedding I'd NEVER attempt to minimise or dismiss his feelings. Or even worse, put pressure on him to go through with it anyway.

In fact, he would only have to express doubts once and I'd let him off the hook immediately.

Because I LOVE him properly, and want him to be happy in life, even if it's not with me.

True love isn't selfish.

I also think her waking you up to yell at you for snoring is outrageous. Seriously, who does that?

She's supposed to love you.

I think you're right to have doubts about your future happiness based on this. Abuse always escalates.

You sound like a really great catch from a financial standpoint, you're also very nice (but kind of a doormat, sorry). I think you can do better and you know you can too.

Quote:
the "pretty/younger" statement may have been stated poorly, or taken out of context a bit. Right or wrong, it's a feeling that i have. a feeling that there's something better out there, and that i shouldn't be 'satisfied' with something i currently have, given the flaws and issues i'm having with it. come to think of it, it's not right or wrong....it's wrong.
Pfffttt, there's nothing WRONG with these honest thoughts of yours.
This is your life partner you're considering - you SHOULD be discerning and very very careful.

This relationship is doomed to fail - find someone to back you up - not necessarily your parents (they are letting you squirm too much) and cut the ties NOW you have got too much to lose.

You can't ignore the truth, it keeps coming back.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Any choice the OP makes has the potential to cause pain. #1 shouldn't be an option at all, calling off the wedding and going to counseling is a waste of their time. I don't care how much counseling they get after that point the damage is done, its over.

So, the options should have been to end it and be completely done or move move forward with the wedding, as long as he follows thru with his prenup and counseling they have a chance and hes protected himself financially.

No matter how you chose to look at it, there could be regrets, but where I see the biggest potential for regret, would be ending it at this very moment calling off a wedding, without ever having counseling with the maybe and what if lingering in his mind eternally. I can only wish him well in his choice.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Any choice the OP makes has the potential to cause pain. #1 shouldn't be an option at all, calling off the wedding and going to counseling is a waste of their time. I don't care how much counseling they get after that point the damage is done, its over.

So, the options should have been to end it and be completely done or move move forward with the wedding, as long as he follows thru with his prenup and counseling they have a chance and hes protected himself financially.

No matter how you chose to look at it, there could be regrets, but where I see the biggest potential for regret, would be ending it at this very moment calling off a wedding, without ever having counseling with the maybe and what if lingering in his mind eternally. I can only wish him well in his choice.
I know one thing - I don't wanna be that bride! Can't believe she does...

Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I know one thing - I don't wanna be that bride! Can't believe she does...
Its a mutual deserving of each other in my opinion, but who am I to make judgments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships