Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I simply think that lifestyle is a fairly selfish way to live, and that is hard to respect.
Most people have mortgages because it's what they want. Most people have children because they are what they wanted. Does that make them selfish?

I mean, are you going to have children because it's what you want? Or because you feel like it's your duty to procreate?

If you have children because you want them, doesn't that make you selfish?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,639 times
Quote:
I think the world is in pretty rough shape, and if I can leave it a bit better for future generations then that is worth all of my effort. I do think that living only for yourself is a selfish way to be. When I see the national debt skyrocketing, people starving, corporations taking advantage of employees, etc. I have a hard time living only for myself rather than doing something about those problems. Again, that isn't to say everyone should be like me, but I probably won't choose to hang out with/date/marry people who feel differently.

I might not make much money but I am a philanthropist for many good causes. I give whatever I can spare and I make a point of getting the word out there. Especially when it comes to those who don’t have a voice so we have to speak for them – animals. I know they aren’t future human generations but they still need our help.

If I was rich I would love nothing more than to help those in need. I wish I could do more about those problems. It breaks my heart to see those less fortunate than me suffering. It’s so unfair.

Just because I live for myself, it doesn’t mean I take it for granted. I appreciate the life I have been given more and more every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I want your job.
I’ll give you a job if you give me one.

Wait.. what?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
That’s something that has always puzzled me!!! People have children because it’s something they WANT, then they call the childless selfish for NOT wanting kids. What the?!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Most people have mortgages because it's what they want. Most people have children because they are what they wanted. Does that make them selfish?

I mean, are you going to have children because it's what you want? Or because you feel like it's your duty to procreate?

I simply gave my opinion. No more, no less. Please don't take my words to an extreme. I am not saying someone shouldn't do what they want, however blatant disregard for those around you is not an admirable quality to me. Do I want a 3000 sqft home? Yes! Would a 1000 sqft home fit my needs, and can I do something useful with the money I save? Absolutely. Do I want children? Yes I do. Can I afford children? Would I have to rely on other people to take care of them? Then maybe I should delay that want until it is a more realistic solution.

Do I want to go out drinking on friday night? Yes I do. Does my company/friend/family/whatever need someone to put in some extra effort to finish a project/talk about marital problems/etc, maybe. If so, maybe I should delay that want to help someone else with a greater problem. Life is about balance, and sometimes working 10 or 20 hours per week overtime to help co-workers out is a good thing (and an admirable quality), and sometimes not going on a vacation so you can help a friend who really needs help is the right thing to do. That is how I see the world, and I simply saw a different attitude (one which focuses a bit more on instant gratification) in the OP's post. Hopefully this explains what I mean a little more. If not, let me know and I will do my best to clarify.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I am not saying someone shouldn't do what they want, however blatant disregard for those around you is not an admirable quality to me.
I take offence to that hnsq. My friends, family and loved ones mean the world to me.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I take offence to that hnsq. My friends, family and loved ones mean the world to me.
From your original quote:

Quote:
I like shopping sprees and being able to go on holidays whenever I please.
This is the attitude that I just don't have a lot of respect for: valuing shopping/vacationing/indulgence above other things. I am sorry if you don't like what I said...but you asked for opinions and I gave mine.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
This is the attitude that I just don't have a lot of respect for: valuing shopping/vacationing/indulgence above other things. I am sorry if you don't like what I said...but you asked for opinions and I gave mine.
Just because I indulge that doesn’t mean I have a blatant disregard for all those around me. I am just not going to alter my life to what they want it to be, to make them happy.

Vacationing/shopping/indulgence is what makes me happy in life. I am not hurting anyone, neglecting anyone or sending myself broke. I get my rent, bills, responsibilities out of the way first and foremost, THEN I indulge. There are people blowing their money on a helluva lot worse things than a few holidays and manicures I’ll tell you that!

I hate it when people blow their money without getting their adult responsibilities covered first. I have lived with people like that and they’re a nightmare.

While I am on these holidays I usually text my parents at least once a day. They never respond (don’t want to spend money on overseas texts, they’re a bit tight my folks) but at least I stay in contact.

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 11-10-2010 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
The leading figures of most major religions / philosophies of living led simple lives, yet inspired millions.

Hardly simpletons...
I was talking about "ignorance is bliss" type of happy-go-lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post

Hehehe I work on reception for a small country legal firm. There are only 7 of us here so we’re like a little family. Fortunately this small firm can still afford such things as weekly massages for their staff and taking us to extravagant dinner/lunch establishments for Christmas and other occasions!
Sheesh, can't say I've heard of anybody getting weekly massages as a job perk!

Do you live in the UK...? 'Cause you mentioned the word "holidays" (instead of vacation) many times below and it's hardly ever used here.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sheesh, can't say I've heard of anybody getting weekly massages as a job perk!

Do you live in the UK...? 'Cause you mentioned the word "holidays" (instead of vacation) many times below and it's hardly ever used here.
Yep, 30 mins each, once a week!

This is where I live and work just around the corner from:

Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Live your life for you and no one else. It is no one else's business whether you want responsiblities or not. Too many people try to please everyone but themselves, and one day they wake up and they are old and they never lived. If you are happy, forget everything else. People who do not want children should not have them. The world would be a better place if only the people who want to be parents had children. Have fun...and don't worry about what other people think or say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships