Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Everyone is different, and it also depends on your stage in life. At some point I'd love to have kids, but right now I'd rather go to happy hour, and maybe Peru.
Haha this is like a classic quote from a celebrity or something, love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Be happy and move on with your life.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Be happy and move on with your life.
Thanks, Jasper. Slowly but surely I am becoming happier with the person I am, and trying really hard to ignore what others say. It’s hard but it’s a wonderful feeling!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
In many cases, the easy life is best because you have little to no responsibility which means less drama for you to deal with. That being said, keep doing you Vanilla. If that's what you want, go for it.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
I chose/am going to choose the easy life. Why make things hard when you don't have to?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am 30 years old and have no children. I don’t think I ever want children, or to own a home, because I would rather do without the responsibility of either. I like shopping sprees and being able to go on holidays whenever I please.

I have a very cushy job which includes massages every week and requires next to no really hard work.

I find that others often make me feel guilty for the life I lead. They make me feel lazy, irresponsible and immature because I have not chosen the same 2 kids, big house, mortgage, years in college to work a 12 hour a day job, that they have.

They tell me there “comes a time, when you have to settle down”.

Oh…?

I'd like to be introduced to whoever is making these rules for my life.

Is this just jealousy?
Do what makes you happy. Life is too short to be miserable. Other people need to mind their own business. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I chose/am going to choose the easy life. Why make things hard when you don't have to?
Well said, and exactly how I feel!

Some people might want the responsibility and stress that comes with something like raising a child, but I don’t.

I don’t care how “worth it in the end” it is.

Each to their own, that’s just how I feel!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
I am 30 years old and have no children. I don’t think I ever want children, or to own a home, because I would rather do without the responsibility of either. I like shopping sprees and being able to go on holidays whenever I please.

I have a very cushy job which includes massages every week and requires next to no really hard work.

I find that others often make me feel guilty for the life I lead. They make me feel lazy, irresponsible and immature because I have not chosen the same 2 kids, big house, mortgage, years in college to work a 12 hour a day job, that they have.

They tell me there “comes a time, when you have to settle down”.

Oh…?

I'd like to be introduced to whoever is making these rules for my life.

Is this just jealousy?
I totally think it is okay to choose the life you have. Not sure why you'd call it is the "easy life" since life is what one makes of it.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
It’s not always friends though, people I meet in general seem close to appalled when I tell them my age, and that I am unmarried with no children, no home – and have no plans for any in the future. It’s like they say oh…wow, well, what else is there???

I know myself. I like my freedom and my material things and I would become resentful if I e.g. had a child who I had to give everything to. I don’t know if that makes me a selfish person but that’s just the way I am. I think it’s best I don’t produce offspring and I am glad I can recognise and accept that.
I think you can do what you like. I wonder what part of the country you live in???? I live in California and I can't imagine people looking down on anyone just because they're 30 & single with no kids

In any case, the only issue I might have with your lifestyle is if you're not putting any money away for hard times or for retirement. I think that's irresponsible, and could quickly turn your "easy" life into a very difficult one.

But if you can afford your shopping sprees but are still putting money aside (you know, like 10% for emergencies & 10% for retirement), then that's fine in my book.

I would add, though, that some people start to find a life of shopping sprees gets a little boring and empty. You're only 30, so that feeling might not have crept in yet...but just realize that a lot of people use materialism as a way of filling something that's missing in their lives. I'm not saying you're doing that...just something to be aware of.

I'd also say being single gets harder as you get older (at least for most people, men in particular). At 30, you're not feeling that yet, but you might start feeling it at 35 or 40. And then you might start wanting to have a mate only to find out that the dating pool is really thin by the time you hit that age.

I am a little suspicious of that term "easy life". That indicates to me you don't see the downside of the way you're living (and there's always a down side to any lifestyle choice). I thought the same way as you when I was 30...but my perspective changed when I hit 35, and I started seeing that the life I'd chosen for myself DID have a downside that I wasn't aware of. This is not to say you should't be doing exactly what you're doing...just that you need to be aware that there's a downside to your lifestyle that may not be apparent to you now.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 11-12-2010 at 12:43 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
So you think someone choosing to live to make themselves happy rather than living to make others happy, makes them a selfish person?

I am not wanting to start a fight here by the way, I am just trying to understand your point of view better.
There is some truth to the idea that life shouldn't be ONLY about doing things that make oneself happy. Typically, happy people do some kind of service to others (formal or informal).

However, to say those who don't get married, buy houses, & have kids are somehow more selfish than those who do is overly simplistic, to say the least. There are lots of different ways to be selfish and lots of ways to be giving. One of the worst things people do is have kids to please other people and then neglect and resesnt them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships