Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Too bad people don't understand marriage is more than the wedding day-it's actually work.

I think people do it because they are trying to keep up with the Jones' I worked with a woman who had a 6 caret ring-she would always talk about it...too bad her husband was banging anyone with a pulse.
I've been to some over the top weddings...none of the couples are still married...and I barely survived-

Here's some of my favorites ..I got to watch my friends sing to eachother-for the love of everything that is holy-can you say TACKY?
I had one friend get married at Walt Disney World-why do you want Goofy to be your best man? Why on earth do you want Sleeping Beauty as your maid of honor?
Oh yes and my favoriite one...let's get married at a ski resort in the middle of winter and watch the bride and groom ski down the mountain...
Yup. But nowadays the highest possible value is entertainment. So that's why people have stunt weddings like that.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Thanks to all--I've had some laughs reading some of these posts, and I can only be thankful that I've never had to participate in any really extravagant weddings; they can get simply ridiculous, if you let them.....

Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Here's some of my favorites ..I got to watch my friends sing to eachother-for the love of everything that is holy-can you say TACKY?
I had one friend get married at Walt Disney World-why do you want Goofy to be your best man? Why on earth do you want Sleeping Beauty as your maid of honor?
Oh yes and my favoriite one...let's get married at a ski resort in the middle of winter and watch the bride and groom ski down the mountain...

Some interesting friends you got there.

Out of all the $$$ weddings I've attended/particpated in, only one of those couples is divorced.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Some interesting friends you got there.

Out of all the $$$ weddings I've attended/particpated in, only one of those couples is divorced.
Same here ... mostly. ALL of the fancier weddings I've been to in the last 15 years are still intact.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
As far as rings go, the guys see it as a way to express their love.
I guess the more you spend=the more you love a woman...or some women and men think.
I personally don't want a ring if I ever find myself engaged or married.

As far as expensive weddings go, it's all about keeping up with the Joneses and trying to impress family, friends, etc.

I'd much rather spend all that money for a wedding on a very nice honeymoon.

A co-worker of mine married her husband months before they had the wedding and I personally wouldn't have gone through a wedding if we were already legally married. Why spend all that money on a wedding reception for your family and friends? Just tell everyone you're married and call it a day.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 AM

130 posts, read 336,193 times
The backlash against those who want fancy weddings is unsettling. If one has the financial means to afford such a wedding and both parties agree to it then who cares? People have different tastes. Some want a rodeo themed wedding, some want to be married on the beach, others an elvis themed wedding....the list could go on. If the issue is purely a monetary one then that isn't fair. People buy expensive sports cars, big screen TVs, expensive sporting event tickets, the latest iPhone, etc. all the time. Do these things not cost money? It is just a matter of deciding what you want the most in your life.

Plus, people earn different incomes. Therefore a $600 ring would be a huge sacrifice for someone with less financial means but absolutely nothing for the guy making six figures. On the other hand, some people prefer not to do rings. Again, that is their decision so who cares?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post

Like, a future husband will buy an expensive ring 4 his future wife and pay for aa BIG wedding.

To me about 96% of the time those marriages don't even last long.

Why can't couples can jus be simple and just get a ring that's REALLY worth something with substance in the inside than just or having an enormous price tag and having a simple wedding than big weddings.

No offense about/to people buying BIG weddings and all, but all or most of marriages these days are being emphasizes on how big a wedding was than on the marriage itself. If You know what i mean?

Who cares? If they can afford afford it why not?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
actually u gota read the fine print on that cliche. money cant buy love it can encourage it.
they say the same stuff about money and happiness. what they dont tell you b4 you go off to paris to become a mime, is that with money, 80% of your problems instantly evaporate.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:07 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,525 times
Personally I picture myself having a barefoot wedding on a sunny day on a hill out in the wilderness, have mom and some other very close people to me and my future wife there and keep it private.

But I can definatly see the party-people neighbors of mine wanting huge weddings. I think it has to do with that they value a great party, while I'm more of an introvert... I don't need half a nation to confirm I love my future wife.

What I want to say is I think the wedding style should mirror the personality of the lucky couple.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 PM

479 posts, read 835,960 times
I knew a young guy that had no debt and 44K in savings. He was going to buy a house.

Then he got lasso'd by his future wife.

The savings and the dream of a house "vanished" writing checks for her wedding wish list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships