Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
1) Because people don't think

2) Because people are taught that you need a big wedding and you need a diamond (which supports some major atrocities in Africa, regardless of what De Beers says)

3) People are taught that diamonds are an "investment" and hold their value, which makes people more okay with buying them than say a depreciable assett. (They don't, q.v. Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? - Magazine - The Atlantic)

4) Intense family and societal pressure

5) Keeping up with the jones
^This. I don't really understand the big expensive wedding, giant rock thing. I guess it's just not my style. I have a beautiful ring, that I never wear. I prefer my small "work" wedding band. I don't understand these couples/parents who literally go in to debt for these obnoxious shindigs. Sheer madness.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, no, no...according to some guys on this forum, what you really want is for your man to go into debt financing your fairy princess event, topped off with a $20k engagement ring.
Ha, I do know a few women who demand this, and a few who have received it. My best friend had a 'small, cozy wedding' with 300 of her closest friends and family and didn't understand when I told her it wasn't small or cozy. Ugh, I really don't like weddings and the only reason I'm not going to elope is because it will be nice to prove to my family that I can indeed get married. They all think I'm either a lesbian or a spinster

Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post

Like, a future husband will buy an expensive ring 4 his future wife and pay for aa BIG wedding.

To me about 96% of the time those marriages don't even last long.

Why can't couples can jus be simple and just get a ring that's REALLY worth something with substance in the inside than just or having an enormous price tag and having a simple wedding than big weddings.

No offense about/to people buying BIG weddings and all, but all or most of marriages these days are being emphasizes on how big a wedding was than on the marriage itself. If You know what i mean?

So if a guy can afford to spend $20,000 on an engagement ring it has less "meaning" than a thin gold band? Or if a couple has a big expensive wedding they are less in love than a couple who have puch and cake at the K of C hall? What people spend doesn't have any bearing on anything other than how much money they spend.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:25 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that most of these marriages that begins expensive weddings turn into divorces, and those divorces happen in a short period of time.

Those BIG weddings by the couple make it seem like that their marriage is going to last....then later on they get a divorce. All that for nothing which they should've focus more on the marriage itself for the whole marriage rather than just one day at the alter.

It's like a football player that goes to the NFL Combine and has a all the NFL scouts look at him, and when he after he gets picked from the #1 overall draft pick in the 1st Round he looks promising. Then later on it becaomes irrelevent because after a year or 2 you don't hear from that player again, which means that pick turned out a bust.
Sooo...what exactly is the connection between big weddings and the divorce rate?? How does having a big wedding make it seem that the marriage is going to last? What's the connection?

By the way, having a big wedding does not decrease the focus on a marriage any more than having a small wedding increases the focus on a marriage. A wedding is an event. A marriage is a relationship. The size of the event has nothing to do with the quality of the relationship. Where do you get this?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
If I was going to blame anyone for thinking they need to have an expensive ring I would blame Tv more then likey. Same for those people who think a wedding should cost $50,000. My ex wife picked out her ring and I paid for it. It cost $150.00 from Wal-mart I felt bad at first but she liked it because it was different. If people truly believe that they need these things to show that thier furture spouse loves them, then in my opinion they are stupid and I would not see a point in marrying them. That money could go for a home or something of that nature.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:48 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If I was going to blame anyone for thinking they need to have an expensive ring I would blame Tv more then likey. Same for those people who think a wedding should cost $50,000. My ex wife picked out her ring and I paid for it. It cost $150.00 from Wal-mart I felt bad at first but she liked it because it was different. If people truly believe that they need these things to show that thier furture spouse loves them, then in my opinion they are stupid and I would not see a point in marrying them. That money could go for a home or something of that nature.
I wouldn't be too hard on the media.

Its simply a female thing that began long before the medias influence.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I wouldn't be too hard on the media.

Its simply a female thing that began long before the medias influence.

This is true. Someone started it before the media came around. I mentioned Tv because some women tend to buy into the hype. And tend to be younger. As some guys do. My wedding band was originally a ring I found at our first place together.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:19 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
This is true. Someone started it before the media came around. I mentioned Tv because some women tend to buy into the hype. And tend to be younger. As some guys do. My wedding band was originally a ring I found at our first place together.
I would advise any guy to steer way clear of any women who is influenced by TV, for a variety of reasons.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times
Quote:
This is true. Someone started it before the media came around. I mentioned Tv because some women tend to buy into the hype. And tend to be younger. As some guys do.
My wedding band was originally a ring I found at our first place together.
Couples have gotten married in Walmart and Home Depot, where they first met.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Couples have gotten married in Walmart and Home Depot, where they first met.

My Ex wife and I got married outside & it cost us a total of $1100. No one helped us pay for it, we didn't expect anyone to we wanted to get married so WE paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships