Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 04:42 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yea, that speaks to what I was saying a few posts above. If you wanted, you could conquer those fears. I was initially worried about electrical stuff. I didn't want to burn my house down. Getting a shock or two? Eh, not really. I'm exposed to far more dangers at work. But fire is a scary thing. I've learned that it's not a big deal, especially in newer homes. A good, comprehensive DIY book could become nightly reading and Youtube, halleluiah for youtube. There's a vid on how to do everything. You can take it play by play. When my dryer broke, no problem. I pulled up a few vids and set to it, saving myself $60 in labor. And labor for what? It was a snapped belt.

I still have a fear when it comes to plumbing and I need to get over it. I have a huge issue with possible mold, mildew, water running in places I don't know about. A lot of the stuff I need to deal with is in the basement, too. Lots of bugs, and spider webs. Yuk. I want to rip out the basement kitchen wall where we have leaks to check things out. God knows what critters I'll find. I want to patch, water resist, install removable paneling, and then jack hammer the basement floor around the perimeter for a french drain and then put in a sump pump. Do I know how to tackle it theoretically? yes. But, I'm scared of the ick.
All this work would pass inspection and be up to code if an inspector happens to pop in, right? You know they like to do that when you least expect it.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Exactly. But I see now I put my foot in my mouth.

Things worked out for you even though you had two very different parents. Now, I wont be so worried for my daughter. I know my husband means well.
Well, we can only lead by example. Don't let her become defined by the assumptions of others. It's such a hindrance to women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
I'm a mechanic for fun. I build hot-rods. The "job" is more complicated, dangerous and PRESSED for time than that. You should be able to handle it? I'll let you try first!
I don't have a hot-rod, but a Nissan Versa. I don't really have to do anything to it other than body work. As far as the I'll let you try first boloney, what's up with that? Does it threaten you in some odd way that a woman is not concerned about tackling tasks? I'm no mechanic, but I could be one if I wanted to. So?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Yea, that speaks to what I was saying a few posts above. If you wanted, you could conquer those fears. I was initially worried about electrical stuff. I didn't want to burn my house down. Getting a shock or two? Eh, not really. I'm exposed to far more dangers at work. But fire is a scary thing. I've learned that it's not a big deal, especially in newer homes. A good, comprehensive DIY book could become nightly reading and Youtube, halleluiah for youtube. There's a vid on how to do everything. You can take it play by play. When my dryer broke, no problem. I pulled up a few vids and set to it, saving myself $60 in labor. And labor for what? It was a snapped belt.

I still have a fear when it comes to plumbing and I need to get over it. I have a huge issue with possible mold, mildew, water running in places I don't know about. A lot of the stuff I need to deal with is in the basement, too. Lots of bugs, and spider webs. Yuk. I want to rip out the basement kitchen wall where we have leaks to check things out. God knows what critters I'll find. I want to patch, water resist, install removable paneling, and then jack hammer the basement floor around the perimeter for a french drain and then put in a sump pump. Do I know how to tackle it theoretically? yes. But, I'm scared of the ick.
Well, those seem like justified fears. I have those, too.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
All this work would pass inspection and be up to code if an inspector happens to pop in, right? You know they like to do that when you least expect it.
Code for replacing a dryer belt? Code for doing basic electrical? It's not rocket science. Besides, there is no way in hell my house is up to code with the electrical. It's grandfathered. I'm fully capable of stripping wires, attaching wires and plugs, and wrapping them in electrical tape. Why folk think it's such a challenge is beyond me. When I have my house rewired, I will have to bring in a licensed eletrition for my home owners insurance. It is good insurance. But, I will run it myself and have him at the control panel for the final ties. I've already spoken with an electrician about it. I can save on costs by running it myself, setting it up for him/her, and he does the finishing work.

Why exactly can I not read a book on how to go by code and accomplish just that?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Well, we can only lead by example. Don't let her become defined by the assumptions of others. It's such a hindrance to women.

I don't have a hot-rod, but a Nissan Versa. I don't really have to do anything to it other than body work. As far as the I'll let you try first boloney, what's up with that? Does it threaten you in some odd way that a woman is not concerned about tackling tasks? I'm no mechanic, but I could be one if I wanted to. So?
It never threatens me. You'll still be calling.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Well, those seem like justified fears. I have those, too.
I know. Damn bug phobia. That's one of many things I love about having a husband. It will be him that goes into the crawl space of our kitchen addition to foam insulate the pipes. Thank god I don't have to do that!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
It never threatens me. You'll still be calling.
Maybe not since I don't own a hot rod. Although, you have some kind of investment in order to prop yourself up. I'll let you have it. Just like I let my dad have it.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:00 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
I know. Damn bug phobia. That's one of many things I love about having a husband. It will be him that goes into the crawl space of our kitchen addition to foam insulate the pipes. Thank god I don't have to do that!
Well, my husband has no problem killing them but I know he is afraid of them. Speaking of which, I remember hanging out at my ex-boyfriend's friend's house, with the ex and other friends. A cockroach came crawling above us under the ceiling. Everybody got up slowly to move away and then it started flying towards us! Guess who screamed with the highest pitch and who also managed to run out of the room first? The guys! I do believe I got shoved to the side by my ex's best friend.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe not since I don't own a hot rod. Although, you have some kind of investment in order to prop yourself up. I'll let you have it. Just like I let my dad have it.
Nothing to do with cars. Part of my job is fixing DIY F ups after they have been red tagged and deemed unsafe and or not working. Some after the person has already DIED in the house. It's all in a days work!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Nothing to do with cars. Part of my job is fixing DIY F ups after they have been red tagged and deemed unsafe and or not working. Some after the person has already DIED in the house. It's all in a days work!
And they are ALL women that call you? No man has ever screwed things up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships