Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,368,062 times

Advertisements

I think he may have had this quote in mind when he started this thread!

"Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs."

-Shakespeare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,653,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Exactly..unless it was to report her for being, and this is the OP's word, rude. Not distracting, not discomforting, not (heaven forbid) flattering.. RUDE. Forget about the sighs and go to another Subway..they are everywhere.
Exactly. There are now more Subways than McDonalds. I know of 5 within a 3 mile radius of my house.

Last edited by Timmyy; 10-07-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,688,592 times
Lightbulb Okay...Since You Asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Many of you guys are showing some sort of class envy, since everyone that has made a remark about me mentioning that I wouldn't date her for not being professional, didn't bother to ask me why. They simply assumed away thinking I'm 'uppity' or think I'm above the rest.

Welllll...judging by your tone in both your OP and other posts since then, I really don't see why any of us would think otherwise...and that class envy jazz is utter bullcookies...why do people whine like a kicked rat when somebody calls them out for being a drama queen, and the best comeback they can muster is 'you guys are showing some sort of class envy'...how about actually SHOWING some class to envy, y'know?

What if I was to tell you that the impression people get of me is the complete opposite?

Like what, that you come across as just a nimrod as opposed to a snobby nimrod?

Did it ever occurred to anyone here that there's a reason for why I'm not willing to date someone with no college degree, a reason that has nothing to do with how good she would be?

Did it ever occurred to anyone that I may be the son of a professional father and a non-college-degree mother, and witnessed how my 'professional father' would corner my mom on that account, going as far as calling her stupid and her having to shut up?

Of course not!

That excuse has something in common with a lead submarine---it won't float...something your father did to your mother back in the day, doesn't give you carte blanche to exhibit that behavior with someone else...for all we know, the young lady sighs, not from lust or romantic intentions, but because she sees you and thinks 'Oh no---not this pompous finoakio again '...and just so you know, like others here have said, she just might be working at Subway because A) she's supporting herself as she tries to GET a college degree (gasp!!), or B) she might even be (double gasp with 2 snaps and a twist!) a single mom, trying to pay bills, raise her kids, AND get a college degree...I mean, everyone wasn't born with a silver IPad in their mouths the way you carry on as though...

And neither had anyone here ever thought that I am trying to avoid being like my father and am removing all possible chances for those moments when I forget that promise I made to myself.

Nah, of course not.

Many of you went the 'he think he's better than her' route and started spewing all the class envy many of you have imbedded in your minds.

Why not just stick to the actual topic and not hang up on a little detail that, quite frankly, no one bothered to figure out why it was there to begin with!

For Pete's sake, we're talking about a Subway restaurant and this woman that sighs all the freaking time she sees me. And I don't stare at her, hardly look at her after I get my meal. Could care less, really; except, I don't understand the constant sighs.

But, the next time I go there, I'll ask her.

And maybe, juuuust maybe, neither she nor the rest of us here, have the time or wherewithal to give a penguin's joystick about you and your attitude...y'see, everyone here who has answered the OP has done EXACTLY what you say we haven't---that is, stick to the actual topic...it's just that, well, nobody here is wasting perfectly good Chap-Stick puckering up and kissing your bum and telling you what you want to hear, and that's what sparked that mini-rant about 'not sticking to the topic'...

If she wants to 'sigh all the freaking time', moan, scratch her behind, or sing bad karaeoke songs while waiting on you, so what? Does her doing any of that stop the world from turning, or indirectly affect how you're gonna spend the rest of your life? Probably not...but judging by this thread, now at about ohhhh...14 pages, apparently you DO lay awake in a cold sweat worrying about it...

Frankly, I'd love to be a fly on the wall the day you DO ask her, so I can see her (hopefully, anyway LOL) flip you a double bird and tell you to make like a travel agent and book a flight away from her...now THAT would be glorious

My comments, ladies and gentlemen, in bold

Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,798,512 times
This thread is proof that there's immense class rift and warfare in this country.

If one young man comes along and proclaims that he's made it in life, some of you have your little heads bursting into flames.

What sort of thing powers that kind of "class envy" as he puts it?

And I admit, I've run into the same negative sentiment in other threads.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,368,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This thread is proof that there's immense class rift and warfare in this country.

If one young man comes along and proclaims that he's made it in life, some of you have your little heads bursting into flames.

What sort of thing powers that kind of "class envy" as he puts it?

And I admit, I've run into the same negative sentiment in other threads.
LOL!

Good grief!! What a bunch of whiny nonsense!!

I guess it takes a whiner to defend a whiner.

You assume we are all either poor as dirt, blue collar, and/or lacking in the proper educational credentials to comment.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
LOL!

Good grief!! What a bunch of whiny nonsense!!

I guess it takes a whiner to defend a whiner.

You assume we are all either poor as dirt, blue collar, and/or lacking in the proper educational credentials to comment.
Exactly the sentiment. A sudden accusation of "whiner"

Why not provide a normal explanation without baseless allegations?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 PM

17,653 posts, read 22,727,027 times
Be Brave. Eat a different sandwich sometimes. Eating the same every day, is boring.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,764,946 times
Wait a minute....you say you are irked that she "sighs" and you are thinking of her as a wife but she is not professional enough? You don't know her but you are thinking of marrying her?

Your words:
"She is quite attractive, not that I'm thinking of actually going out with her since, well, she works at Subways. I'm sort of searching for someone to settle down with and I'm a professional and I want a professional spouse too, and working at Subways is not quite there."

I am guessing she 'sighs" because she is getting the vibe that you are looking down on her. Just sayin....

You sound like a real catch.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:19 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,633,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Oh, of course he learned something good from his father's abuse of his mother. He learned that if he got a college education, his father would stop saying he was going to grow up and be a stupid, useless fool like his mother.

Sadly, I'm quite sure her lack of education was only ONE of the many things he berated her with and constantly threw in her face. A college education would not have saved her from his abuse, as he simply would have found something else to kick her for, whether real or imagined. Truth be told, the poor mother probably SIGHED too often and the monster took it personally!!
Absolutely true beachmel. When I read the post about his father and mother...BINGO.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Hitting subway#2 for Saturday's lunch.

Wish me luck

<sigh>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships