Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 03:19 PM

534 posts, read 493,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I dont do OLD but I used to date off of facebook. Id like the guys pictures and statuses until he noticed me.
Oh OK! I have no experience with FB or social media or how that works but it sounds like it worked for you, which is all that matters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:28 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,273,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

I just initiated a hello silly. We built a friendship together ........& chemistry.......then he asked me out. Saying hi to somebody online isn't initiating a relationship.............
Yeah, being on a dating site means it's not REALLY "friendship" anyway.

Let's not be coy. Everyone knows why you're there.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:29 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,300,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
Oh OK! I have no experience with FB or social media or how that works but it sounds like it worked for you, which is all that matters!
Thanks. Yeah, maybe different things work for different people depending a lot on the relationship dynamic they want, or the one that feels comfortable to them.

I kind of wish it felt acceptable to me to chase or pursue men, because I see some I like and Im like "Damn, I wish I could just go up to that guy and ask him out."

But if I did, the relationship dynamic would just feel off to me. Like I would feel like the guy in the relationship or something.

Interesting things to ponder anyway.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:30 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,220,727 times
To answer the thread title: because guys are desperate

Old 04-16-2020, 05:19 PM

20,487 posts, read 14,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Let's not be coy. Everyone knows why you're there.
Online dating really is different. And it is kind of silly, that some people will put on their profile that they are "only looking for friends"...like really? ONLY that? I know it's kinda code for "I'm not here to hook up and spare me your requests for nudes, and your D pics, if you please" but if anyone were ONLY looking to make friends, there are a lot of better ways to do that. We all know that it's just a way to make initial contact, but to deny the sexual/romantic/dating purpose and flavor of the whole thing is ridiculous.

I wanna be like, "Oh, you want the platonic room, that's down the hall to the left."

hehe

But that leaves us all who are doing OLD, or who have in the past, trying to sift through the fakes, and the many totally incompatible people, and the ones who want something structured very differently than what we do...all the noise. And there's a lot of noise. Unfortunately.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:30 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,057,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Online dating really is different. And it is kind of silly, that some people will put on their profile that they are "only looking for friends"...like really? ONLY that? ridiculous.
Well, they could mean, friends with benefits. lol

Old 04-16-2020, 08:52 PM

11,836 posts, read 12,117,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Well, they could mean, friends with benefits. lol
To be a friend with benefits, you need to be actual friends, not some rando from OLD.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:48 PM

8,871 posts, read 4,009,961 times
Quote:
What kind of dating 'relationship' will it be if there isn't a developing friendship from which to begin? Else, it's simply a hookup (and OP's post is in re: online dating).

Old 04-16-2020, 09:59 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,273,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

What kind of dating 'relationship' will it be if there isn't a developing friendship from which to begin? Else, it's simply a hookup (and OP's post is in re: online dating).
Well, look who's here.

Saying hi to somebody on a dating site isn't friendship. It's making the first move toward (what they hope will be) a dating relationship. It's a dating site, not a friendship site.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:11 PM

8,871 posts, read 4,009,961 times
Quote:
Well, look who's here.

Saying hi to somebody on a dating site isn't friendship. It's making the first move toward (what they hope will be) a dating relationship. It's a dating site, not a friendship site.
Agreed - that said, at the point of first contact/hello, one can't possibly know if they want a date yet or not. They're interested re: a photo or the profile, and they want a conversation to see if there's any potential (or if they both are looking for the same thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships