Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,315,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think you shouldnt even both with trying to create and establish a relationship with anyone if you are unable to committ time with your mom being sick and all. Not his fault. Your fault. Sounds like you are not at a place where you can cultivate a relationship. Deal with your mom first, then try for love. Right now, you just arent ready. Poor guy is lucky.
I'm not totally on board with this, Lao. I think it's okay to be in a relationship. After all, if there's ever a time when somebody needs that kind of emotional support, this would be it. However, I think you make a good point, namely that this guy should be aware of what's going on in her life--and that her mother's needs come first. For romances come and go, but you only have one mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,114,655 times
Quote:
I think you shouldnt even both with trying to create and establish a relationship with anyone if you are unable to committ time with your mom being sick and all. Not his fault. Your fault. Sounds like you are not at a place where you can cultivate a relationship. Deal with your mom first, then try for love. Right now, you just arent ready. Poor guy is lucky.
Are you out of your mind? Or just being sarcastic?

People have all sorts of demands on their time. Jobs. School. Family. Friends. Hobbies. Housework.

This does not preclude seeking and having romantic relationships. It simply means that you have to prioritize the demands on your time.

There is no commitment to a first date. If two people decide to continue seeing each other, part of the process is finding out how interested they are in spending time with each other, and how much time.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,490,534 times
Well, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I think you should have leveled with him and told him why you needed to reschedule. He would have understood that much better then just saying something came up. He probably thought you were blowing him off and he's tired of playing games on Match. Who knows how many idiot women he also talked to on Match? He could have really been pissed and just took it out on you.

Next time, I think you need to be more upfront and tell him exactly why you're cancelling. How hard would it be for everyone to be honest and upfront with people? Everyone doesn't communicate well anymore and it leaves the other person guessing on exactly what's going on.

So I have to say I think both of you are at fault.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,374,082 times
Quote:

Also-along this warped line of thinking, what would you expect if you were a few months into a relationship, and then your partner's mother fell ill? Would it be ok then to continue the relationship, or would you bail?
Timing is just what it is.
You cannot compartmantalize every single relationship.

you sound like you want a relationship where someone focuses on only you 100% of the time with no other situations or mishaps.

That doesn't work for most people.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,315,377 times
Then again, Hi, perhaps the reason you're single is that you waste time with people like this self-centered SOB. Something to consider.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 AM

48,663 posts, read 35,157,062 times
If a guy cancelled on me 3 hours before our date with no explanation, there would be no rescheduling. That's super rude.

But you were in luck in that the guy totally trumped your rudeness by being worse.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,043,241 times
Well, lots of folks here disagree with me on this. Relationships need to be cultivated, this means that both need to spend time together to get to know each other. Having an understanding of the others' responsibilities is one thing, but in this case, in this instance, sounds to me like this chick just either doesnt have the time or wont make time for this to happen. Cancelling 3hours before the date to go make pasta with a sick mom is kinda flaky to me.

Trying to establish a relationship is DIFFERENT from already being in an established relationship. IF it were me, trying to hook up with a chick and I found out she's dealing with her mothers stage three cancer, I'd just tell her that I understand and to let me know when she's ready to try a relationship. Or, if she just needs someone to talk to, feel free to call.

If ol gal here just needs a shoulder to lean on, or a guy to bang, that is one thing. But trying to really establish a relationship while dealing with that seems too much forher.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM

31 posts, read 121,517 times
omg.... after reading this I had to see where you were from. I had to laugh when I saw Miami... TYPICAL is all I have to say. Some men here are crybabies that get offiended sooo easily.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 AM

22,451 posts, read 29,629,721 times
I'm sorry but I don't believe I owe anyone my personal family business until I feel they are ready to know it. It's none of his business why I had to reschedule PERIOD!!! I don't even know the guy!! And cancelling 3 hours prior is NOT last minute. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have mentioned rescheduling NOR calling the guy. I would have simply sent a text.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,239,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm sorry but I don't believe I owe anyone my personal family business until I feel they are ready to know it. It's none of his business why I had to reschedule PERIOD!!! I don't even know the guy!! And cancelling 3 hours prior is NOT last minute. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have mentioned rescheduling NOR calling the guy. I would have simply sent a text.
You probably post all of your events on facebook though.... You totally did this guy a favor by flaking.

You don't have to share a medical history or reveal too much information to simply inform someone, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships