Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
so single people are living these exciting care free lives huh?..... what's funny is that a lot of posters on CD who are single are miserable, can't seem to find a date, lack social skills, have lackluster lives....YET those same people are dying to find someone and get married.
And as for single people making the best employees, companies are not allowed to ask if you are married or have children in interviews, due to discrimination (as far as I know anyway)...
Having said all that, if you want to be single, be single, if you want the family with the kids/wife etc. go for it.
Less problems in a single life then married though. I rather be miserable single then be miserable married.

They are not allowed to ask but they can find some other way. Better not wear that ring to the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'm going to assume you are talking of marriages that disolve because someone is bored or has lost interest and NOT those where abuse, neglect or infidelity are factors.

If someone chose to end a marriage for the latter reasons, I wouldn't consider them immature and I wouldn't expect that they work through it either.

Yes that's what I meant-a lot of divorces are because people do not want to work through problems and look for the easy way out-

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I guess some people are concerned with what looks "good on paper". I am 37, not married, no kids, don't own a house, didn't finish college... these are all conscious choices on my part. If people want to follow a certain path in life, fine, i won't crap on them for that. I just expect the same respect in turn for my choices. I had to grow up pretty fast when my mom was in a coma and my dad nearly drank himself to death when I was 9. Plus, there were kids to take care of in my extended family, when the parents dropped them off to do whatever they had to do. I almost got married when I was 20, to a guy that had a trainwreck of a family life like I did, but I called it off because I felt it wasn't right. I feel that I can impact others' lives just fine without having my own kids. I will not buy a house until I feel it is right for me, and I won't go back to college until I feel it is the right decision. The beauty of life is that it is yours to live. If someone has a pr4oblem with they way I live my life, they can live differently. Simple as that.
YES

YOU ARE AWESOME

Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why do I have to agree? I guess that makes me stand out from the rest.
Not really - it just makes you difficult to talk to. I'd rather stand out from the rest for something positive than something negative. But that's me. If you want to stand out because it's impossible to have a conversation with you - then go ahead.

Maybe you have difficulty with relationships because of this. It's something to think about.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Less problems in a single life then married though. I rather be miserable single then be miserable married.

They are not allowed to ask but they can find some other way. Better not wear that ring to the interview.
False.

and false.

Honestly - if you've never been married, you can't possibly know what it's like. And it's simply not true that companies don't want to hire people who are married. I'm not sure where you even came up with that. And saying it over and over isn't going to make it true.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Social conditioning.

Don't forget the house, you must have a mortgage too!

Quote:
Why do people think that getting married and/or having kids makes you mature or more mature?

I don't agree with this.

You could be Single with no kids and be very responsible, educated and have lot of experience in life OR you could be married with kids and be broke, not caring, lazy, etc. I could go on and on.

Discuss

Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I've never heard of this. Who are these people that say marriage and children make you more mature???
It's not so much that people say, it's most often projected without saying.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And it's simply not true that companies don't want to hire people who are married. I'm not sure where you even came up with that. And saying it over and over isn't going to make it true.
i'm not sure where he gets this either, most people I work with (and this is always the case) are married and with kids, its really a non-issue.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I would say having children reaches a benchmark of maturity in our current society along with marriage, buying a house, etc.
Except its a stupid generalization... people are individuals and cannot all live the same lives.

"Maturity" via marriage and family is another unreal ideal our society pushes on people. It's part of the "Status Quo" and should be challenged. Nobody should feel inferior just because they are single or don't have children.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Not really - it just makes you difficult to talk to. I'd rather stand out from the rest for something positive than something negative. But that's me. If you want to stand out because it's impossible to have a conversation with you - then go ahead.

Maybe you have difficulty with relationships because of this. It's something to think about.
So disagreeing with your comments makes me negative? How?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships