Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women will you....
Date a rich guy whos ugly, boring, but extremely intelligent 5 20.00%
Date a rich guy who is a little bit below average, extremely boring but intelligent 5 20.00%
Date an average looking guy make, making 50k a year, somewhat interesting and mildly intelligent 9 36.00%
Date a hot guy who makes 40K a year, extremely fun, not very intelligent, 3 12.00%
Date a hot guy who makes 50K a year and a little boring average intelligence 2 8.00%
Date an average looking guy making 50K a year, bore fest but extremely intelligent 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,251,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
I don't know if it is different for me considering that my profession is languages and I can get paid hefty sums for translation work.

I imagine that it wouldn't be easy for someone like a carpenter or a lunch lady to make good money.
That's fascinating. How exactly does it work to make that kind of money doing translations? What kind of translations? When I was in college I worked for a translation co for a spell. My gf still works there as head of sales. It was interesting. My profession, OTOH, does not bring in hefty sums lol. I wish. My husband and I are both in the sciences. That is not really the professional path to riches (maybe one in a million). We're into 6 figures, but turning that into real money seems like a dream at this point. I do put 15-20% of my income away. I should probably take an economics or finance class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
In 2009, It took $343,927 for household income to be in Top 1% of the earners in USA according to CNN. So how many people are we talking in an household, lets take the minimum of a couple living together. $171,963.50 is the income for 1 person. So your aunt must be in the 0.1% or so. I am pretty sure they are still frugal now. You can take the boy out of the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy.
I don't know what % she's in. She really started from the bottom up. She was a single mom for quite a while. She put herself through school, became a CPA, and eventually a controller for a company in Jersey. She made some bank. Her husband, who she married later in life, has an engineering background and worked for a major beer manufacturer for like 20 + years. But, this was in the 80's and 90s. Times were good and quite different then.

Quote:
True especially after The Great Recession.
Yea, I think it's a major player. I feel a bit frozen professionally. During any other time I would be making a job move. I have ~4 years experience now and it's a prime time for a serious salary hike via job move. But, I'm too damn scared to take the risk. So many companies are closing, laying off, etc. I know where my co is at, the projection for my dept for the next year or two, so it's a safe bet. While our bonuses have been good, they've been screwing us with crap raises. Completely taking advantage of the situation on that end. Still, I'm not complaining. They're a good co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,303,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's fascinating. How exactly does it work to make that kind of money doing translations? What kind of translations? When I was in college I worked for a translation co for a spell. My gf still works there as head of sales. It was interesting. My profession, OTOH, does not bring in hefty sums lol. I wish. My husband and I are both in the sciences. That is not really the professional path to riches (maybe one in a million). We're into 6 figures, but turning that into real money seems like a dream at this point. I do put 15-20% of my income away. I should probably take an economics or finance class.

I don't know what % she's in. She really started from the bottom up. She was a single mom for quite a while. She put herself through school, became a CPA, and eventually a controller for a company in Jersey. She made some bank. Her husband, who she married later in life, has an engineering background and worked for a major beer manufacturer for like 20 + years. But, this was in the 80's and 90s. Times were good and quite different then.

Yea, I think it's a major player. I feel a bit frozen professionally. During any other time I would be making a job move. I have ~4 years experience now and it's a prime time for a serious salary hike via job move. But, I'm too damn scared to take the risk. So many companies are closing, laying off, etc. I know where my co is at, the projection for my dept for the next year or two, so it's a safe bet. While our bonuses have been good, they've been screwing us with crap raises. Completely taking advantage of the situation on that end. Still, I'm not complaining. They're a good co.
I translate between English and Korean so there is alot of business demand for it. That is how that works. I am not sure what language you are in but it certainly matters and what the hot language is at the moment can always change. The big money is in Arabic right now.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,251,032 times
Quote:
I translate between English and Korean so there is alot of business demand for it. That is how that works. I am not sure what language you are in but it certainly matters and what the hot language is at the moment can always change. The big money is in Arabic right now.
What do you translate? Documents? The small co I worked for dealt with numerous languages (I'm not in any language to be clear), but it was engineering schematics and things of that nature.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,868,697 times
Quote:
Women do want men with money. ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE RICH. No woman wants to have her lifestyle downgraded by marrying poorly. The truth is that the rich are always looking to get richer. Everyone is looking to get richer. You can't blame those trying to advance themselves by any means possible.
But they wouldn't want a FRUGAL rich guy -- what would be the point in that? The gold diggers generally want a guy who buys them nice things, let them spend a lot on vacation, clothes, hair, etc.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,522,521 times
Quote:
See threads I created for details. Let's not derail this thread.

Anyway the point is that what is considered rich, can anyone make that kind of money and are women really out to bag man for their cash.

My take on this is that it take 1 million in annual income to be considered rich, anyone can make that kind of money but some get better starts and chances to make it happen than others and yes women AND men are out to land partners with cash because it increases their standard of living and thus their survival.
$1 Million a year means very high income and even in the US, even the top 1% make no where near that. Plus you can make $1 Million a year and spend all, this means you are living paycheck to paycheck. If you can't live below your means they can't be rich.

Some people have well off parents so the money and/or education money is paid for them for them to get a head start.

One can make $100K a year and live like he/she makes $25K a year.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What do you translate? Documents? The small co I worked for dealt with numerous languages (I'm not in any language to be clear), but it was engineering schematics and things of that nature.
I started off helping my classmates learn and I started to charge for my tutoring services and I got an internship and after that I started translating business documents and then I got my TESOL certificate and started teaching students.

It all depends on who you market yourself to. You can study and document critically endangered languages with only a few speakers left and you won't get paid a dime or you can work in a major language like Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Xhosa ect. and make a fortune.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But they wouldn't want a FRUGAL rich guy -- what would be the point in that? The gold diggers generally want a guy who buys them nice things, let them spend a lot on vacation, clothes, hair, etc.
Exactly. They want a man they can bleed dry which is usually a senile old man with no relatives or the young buck who got his money from Mommy and Daddy and doesn't know the value of hard work.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
$1 Million a year means very high income and even in the US, even the top 1% make no where near that. Plus you can make $1 Million a year and spend all, this means you are living paycheck to paycheck. If you can't live below your means they can't be rich.

Some people have well off parents so the money and/or education money is paid for them for them to get a head start.

One can make $100K a year and live like he/she makes $25K a year.
I agree it is a very high income. That is why it is the top 1%. You see income isn't just what you officially make from your regular job. It is also income from investments and stocks ect. that you can hide and shelter in accounts abroad and things of that nature.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,522,521 times
Quote:
Oh I agree. It is really terrible how little most Americans have saved because they believe that Social Security will be enough for them to get by or they just don't want to think about it because it requires work.
It is not the Gov't. It is the people. Got to differentiate from wants and needs. Nothing is an entitlement.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
It is not the Gov't. It is the people. Got to differentiate from wants and needs. Nothing is an entitlement.
Oh I completely agree. Trusting the government to take care of you is ALWAYS a bad idea. Through history this has been a constant truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships