Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women: What if a man wanted to test all of his children at birth for paternity as a general policy?
Yes 16 36.36%
No 23 52.27%
Other (explain) 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,121,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
To fudge the numbers. Not like I was doing accounting for a govt contract.
Oh, so you are a cheat..exactly what you are accusing a woman of doing and why you'd want a paternity test.

Oleg Bach...I think you are onto something here!
"Any man that demands genetic testing of a child - is usually a cheat...or he would not think of it."

Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM

5,756 posts, read 11,662,607 times
Quote:
So you are suggesting that he sneak behind her back?
Nope. We're not talking about the woman being involved in any real way, actually. This is tough for a lot of women to understand, but the testing is only marginally related to the woman at all. The test is meant to establish whether or not there is a genetic relationship between the child and the purported father. That's a bilateral genetic relationship. The father is simply conducting a small investigation into the nature of that bilateral relationship.

As such, the woman's permission need neither be sought nor obtained. And based on the hysterical reactions that some women exhibit at the very idea of paternity testing, I would strongly advise most men not to bring it up at all. Just do it quietly and shut up about it. Unless the test comes back negative, in which case, you've got trouble any way you look at it.

Quote:
Basically you are advocating being a lying snake, which is exactly what you are accusing her of.
Again, you are filtering the whole process through the woman, when the man is concerned about the bilateral relationship between father and son. No "accusation" is being made. I think that interpretation is far too egoistic on the part of the woman. It's simply not about her.

Quote:
If you can't confront your wife with a discussion on the fact that you need to prove paternity, you are just a complete coward and a weasel.
Quote:
Any man that demands genetic testing of a child - is usually a cheat...or he would not think of it.
This type of accusatory thinking is why men should not mention paternity testing to the mother of the child whose DNA is being tested. There is little "profit" in doing so.

A lot of women are simply not going to be able to understand why it might be very valuable for a father to know to a scientific certainty whether or not he is a child's biological dad. They will interpret the father's decision to test through the most negative lenses possible, and the relationship will suffer for no reason.

Just test quietly. That's best for all involved.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,878,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Oh, so you are a cheat..exactly what you are accusing a woman of doing and why you'd want a paternity test.

Oleg Bach...I think you are onto something here!
"Any man that demands genetic testing of a child - is usually a cheat...or he would not think of it."
Okay so I fudge the numbers on one useless poll and I'm a cheat?

Can we agree there is a difference between voting a bad vote on a useless poll and staying faithful to a mate?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Okay so I fudge the numbers on one useless poll and I'm a cheat?

Can we agree there is a difference between voting a bad vote on a useless poll and staying faithful to a mate?

I'll entertain your comment. What you are saying is she should take your word that you are faithful, but you don't need to take hers?

When you talk about being faithful to your mate, you don't really trust that she's faithful if you need a paternity test. So this only applies to you?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,251,032 times
Quote:
To fudge the numbers. Not like I was doing accounting for a govt contract.
Why do you want to fudge the numbers on this poll?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
As such, the woman's permission need neither be sought nor obtained. And based on the hysterical reactions that some women exhibit at the very idea of paternity testing, I would strongly advise most men not to bring it up at all. Just do it quietly and shut up about it. Unless the test comes back negative, in which case, you've got trouble any way you look at it.
I don't know what kind of marriage you're in, if you're in one at all, but that's not how it works in my marriage at least. My husband and I don't get to independently make medical decisions, financial decisions, academic decisions, professional decisions, or even paint color decisions without consulting the other. Clearly, that kind of transparency in a relationship is foreign to many of you. Do yourself and others a favor and wear a condom.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'll entertain your comment. What you are saying is she should take your word that you are faithful, but you don't need to take hers?

When you talk about being faithful to your mate, you don't really trust that she's faithful if you need a paternity test. So this only applies to you?
I'm disappointed that none of these guys responded to my "married men on the down low" analogy.

Quote:
Nope. We're not talking about the woman being involved in any real way, actually. This is tough for a lot of women to understand, but the testing is only marginally related to the woman at all. The test is meant to establish whether or not there is a genetic relationship between the child and the purported father. That's a bilateral genetic relationship. The father is simply conducting a small investigation into the nature of that bilateral relationship.

If the father questions his paternity (and therefore needs a paternity test for proof) then he shouldn't act on behalf of the minor child as his/her adovcate in looking out for the best interest of that child. You know, being that he is only a "purported" father and not claiming that he is, indeed the real biological father. The mother should be aware that this test is being done since the child is a minor and cannot speak on behalf of itself.

So yes, the mother should be able to oversee and AND get the results which effect HER biological, minor child.

A lot of women are simply not going to be able to understand why it might be very valuable for a father to know to a scientific certainty whether or not he is a child's biological dad. They will interpret the father's decision to test through the most negative lenses possible, and the relationship will suffer for no reason.

Just test quietly. That's best for all involved.
So basically, be a sneak and a weasel...which makes him no better than a woman who may *possibly* be cheating.

16,074 posts, read 28,635,705 times
Quote:
In most cases, it's probably best for the man not to mention that he is getting a DNA/paternity test done.

If the results are negative, then by implication, the woman cheated, and the mistrust was entirely justified.
There are people who have been deceived so badly in the past they're damaged.

On the other hand, there are people who are so deceptive they assume everyones hidding something.

His issues are bigger than paternity tests, his suspicious nature will never be satisfied and has mental health problems.

Last edited by virgode; 02-09-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,878,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why do you want to fudge the numbers on this poll?
I'm working on a Business Statistics midterm, I needed a distraction.

Quote:

I never said I would do this in real life if I was in the situation. If I had reasonable doubt to trust her I would, but with all going on today I would not blame a guy who took the general policy measure.

Furthermore, if she thinks I'm being unfaithful, provided she can provide it I'll gladly take a lie-detector test since I ain't got anything to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships