Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,219,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
BINGO....I would have added that but didn't want to make the post too long. Correct, IMO.
Census and the literature says the same. Although, you will find that some on this forum will argue it tooth and nail.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,123,536 times
Quote:
Shallow question, I know. But I think most couples end up with an "equal" in attractiveness, sometimes one notch off, but generally not much more than that. I am saying MOST couples, not necessarily all. I also think this is healthier as there is less opportunity for "insecurities" in the relationship. A lot of problems do occur, though, when this ratio gets out of whack when one person becomes really vain and boosts their looks and/or one person really lets themselves go. Agreed? I came up with this thread since there are other threads questioning "disparity" and what to do about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, according to the only people that matter (my husband and me) - we are both 10's. So, in our case - yes.
I LOVE Dewdrop's response and I'd like to add to it with an anecdote.

There was an ex co-worker of mine who I spent a lot of time with and I eventually fell for (yes ... the infamous Woman A). Our job required us to be in public alone, specifically people's homes. Every now and then, when we were in people's homes, the owner would ask me if she was my wife or girlfriend. It appeared from the operation that we might be a small family company of sorts. Those that did were usually older couples.

Now, if you asked my old co-workers, most other people, or Woman A herself, they'd probably say she was out of my league.

Who cares what they think? Some people thought it was very possible.

Do you get offended if someone implies that someone you think is uglier than you could be your husband or wife? Do you go around picking apart couples that walk down the street saying, "She's too good for him." "He could do better than her."

Get a $%^&* life...

All that matters is what you think and what your partner thinks...

Old 02-25-2012, 05:59 PM

37,669 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Shallow question, I know. But I think most couples end up with an "equal" in attractiveness, sometimes one notch off, but generally not much more than that. I am saying MOST couples, not necessarily all. I also think this is healthier as there is less opportunity for "insecurities" in the relationship. A lot of problems do occur, though, when this ratio gets out of whack when one person becomes really vain and boosts their looks and/or one person really lets themselves go. Agreed? I came up with this thread since there are other threads questioning "disparity" and what to do about it.
It's been made clear on this form, many many times, that one person's 10 can be someone else's 5. So no, I would disagree...I see far too many couples with
seemingly "unbalanced" looks.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,593,640 times
Quote:
No...

A world where people are only matched to their attractiveness number equivalent?

And the resulting couples number bias in the world, like gender bias and racial predjudices?

'Insecurities' aren't necessarily rational. Even equals in attractiveness will find something to be insecure about.

Last edited by virgode; 02-25-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,312,134 times
Quote:
I love this...shallow but interesting
I've lived in the 4 corners plus the middle
I'll comment on two exceptions to the equality issue:

The Pacific Northwest: Men date DOWN (the quality of the selection is the topic of MANY other threads)
The Southeast: Men date UP*, but watch out when those Southern belles turn into Paula Deens (*except for FL beach areas)

We are all entitled to our observations.
hah, point taken.

When you get to cities like Van, there's a huge number of dudes who are pushovers and settle for some of the ugliest creatures you can imagine. It's sad because there's a decent amount of talent out there that you can still catch if you have some game.

Portland is full of land whales, There's a lot of amenities that I love about that city but too many homely girls. At first sight you don't know whether to say hello or throw pennies at their feet.

Seattle is decent, I actually really like it up there. Your close to some of the best outdoor life nearby an urban area in country. I actually have a sibling who lives right in belltown. It's so so, lots of men dating down.

heh, the southeast is debatable - once that southern comfort catches up you better high tail it out of there. Texas is one of the exceptions where you can literally date up into the stratosphere (Austin!!!).

Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
yes i do bek we have a market system. but that is why the divorce rate is 67% and eharmony is a multi million dollar biz, because being evenly matched is a pain in the posterior. why should i put up with baldy when there might be a chance that brad pitt is out there waiting and does not mind a few extra pounds.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,407,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why should i put up with baldy when there might be a chance that brad pitt is out there waiting and does not mind a few extra pounds.
Fat chance. LOL

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,202,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
hah, point taken.

When you get to cities like Van, there's a huge number of dudes who are pushovers and settle for some of the ugliest creatures you can imagine. It's sad because there's a decent amount of talent out there that you can still catch if you have some game.

Portland is full of land whales, There's a lot of amenities that I love about that city but too many homely girls. At first sight you don't know whether to say hello or throw pennies at their feet.

Seattle is decent, I actually really like it up there. Your close to some of the best outdoor life nearby an urban area in country. I actually have a sibling who lives right in belltown. It's so so, lots of men dating down.

heh, the southeast is debatable - once that southern comfort catches up you better high tail it out of there. Texas is one of the exceptions where you can literally date up into the stratosphere (Austin!!!).
Well, let's see... I'm from California, my husband is from Florida, we met on tour in Alaska, started dating in Florida, got engaged in New York, and got married in Hawaii... so - who married up and who married down?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,407,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm from California, my husband is from Florida,
Probably equal. Get over it. Most people who have traveled or moved around make these observations. I've heard them from many others.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,202,920 times
Quote:
Probably equal. Get over it. Most people who have traveled or moved around make these observations. I've heard them from many others.
Get over what? Having a sense of humor about silly topics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships