Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I was wondering if anyone was going to bring that up. I used the term once, about 37 years ago. She put me in my place and afterward I never used the term again.

To answer the OP question at the heading of the topic --
I never told anyone what to wear. I think for this guy to tell you
"he doesn't like my legs to be exposed" is not only weird but it tells me that he is a major control freak. My suggestion like many others have already mentioned here is to run.
I'm sorry to hear you let a women emasculate you like like. I say word "chick" all the time, anybody got a problem with that they can go kick rocks for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Let me tell you what you don't wanna hear.

Your profile is full of desperate pictures, shoving your cleavage on the face of the viewer.

If this is how you dress in public, well, I bet you do, I am not surprised the guy made a request to cover up a bit. Not becoz he wants to control you, but perhaps he doesn't wanna appear as having hired a paid item.
I agree with what your saying, but if she was dressing like that when he meet her, and he still chose to date her. Then that's on him. You can't try to change somebody if you meet them like that.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
If this is how you dress in public, well, I bet you do, I am not surprised the guy made a request to cover up a bit. Not becoz he wants to control you, but perhaps he doesn't wanna appear as having hired a paid item.
This.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
I'd take more issue with the way he said it than what he said. "I want my woman to..." is enough to either correct him or walk away; I wouldn't care if he ended it with "...be a good mother to any kids we have". You don't word things that way, it's disrespectful.

Honestly, I do think women in general should try not to wear revealing clothing, no matter what "kick" she's on. And I disagree that there's some sort of "right time" to mention it. I think he should mention it as soon as it comes to mind. If there's any clash of important values, enough to be a dealbreaker for either one of you, it only saves you time and effort.

I do not think any expression of disagreement from a man (or woman) about something is a sign of the controlling type. But I do think the way he said it could very well be.

Oh, and do be careful dating more than one person at a time. Assuming they all know what's going on, it's still easy to break some hearts that way.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I think it's control freak-ish.

I also added him on facebook after he insisted (telling me he didn't even get on facebook much) giving him a stern warning not to get upset if he saw multiple guys commenting on my page, seeing most of them don't even know me well...

Well for someone who claimes he is not on facebook much, he seems to be aware of all my status updates and photos posted almost as soon as they are posted....ready with questions. I post song lyrics all the time and he texts, "Babe, you'd better be talking about me." Just annoying crap like that.

I really like him and think he's a great guy, but I'm not sure how much of it is that he's into me and how much of it is his personality.
I see some red flags here. Just keep your eyes wide open if you continue to see him. Sounds as if he might have control issues.

The answer to the question posed in the thread title should be that there is NEVER a point when a guy starts telling a chick how to dress.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If he doesn't want to appear as having hired a paid item, then he shouldn't date her.
But he wants it both ways...so he IS attempting to control her.
Exactly.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The answer to the question posed in the thread title should be that there is NEVER a point when a guy starts telling a chick how to dress.
Agree 100%

Old 03-11-2012, 06:14 PM

11,367 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm sorry to hear you let a women emasculate you like like. I say word "chick" all the time, anybody got a problem with that they can go kick rocks for all I care.
I care not to insult anyone. I don't have to use that word and I won't.

Too bad you don't agree. I think the term "chick" is somewhat degrading and I'm surprised at how much it has been used on this thread.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I think the term "chick" is somewhat degrading
This makes me wonder when, where, and why, "chick" was first used, to describe a lady? Maybe because chickens lay eggs, and women have babies? I never thought about it that way, but I guess that would be degrading.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,986 times
Dump him. He's not long term potential in your eyes so what do you have to loose. How dare he tell you how to dress! You are not a child. He sounds like he has major control issues. While people can express their preferences - they have NO RIGHT to try and change how you choose to present yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships