Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times

Advertisements

I am single, but I'd rather not be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 07:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Sometimes, I think the marrieds wish they were single, and the singles wish they were married!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
I used to bemoan being single. I wanted marriage and children and envied anyone who had those things. Now, and perhaps my last relationship really caused a shift in thinking, I prefer being single. I don't have to deal with the drama. I don't have to deal with being controlled or criticized and a myriad of other woes that come with the hit and miss of dating. I can come and go as I please. I know the apartment will look the same upon my return as it did when I left. There is just a freedom that I have not felt before when I was desiring marriage and relationships and so forth. I think I needed to have something "snap" in me to get to this point. I dont think it is negative or depressing. Rather, I enjoy it. Who says you have to be coupled? My grandmother has been alone for years and she is one happy old goat.

Cobolt

Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 AM

345 posts, read 1,078,413 times
there are parts I like, parts I don't. I'm a single parent of a two year old~ I think things would definately be easier if I had help for raising him. But at the same time, I don't have to deal with the hell that I went through. So I guess my answer is I'd rather be single than settle for "good enough".

Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinNY View Post
Hello everyone,

Excellent, honest responses from all of you.

I got another quesiton?

Have you noticed when you are single, lots of people, especially as you get older, seems to pressure you into getting into a relationship? Why can't they(usually married folks) not leave the single person alone? Do they think singles are not happy in life if not in a relationship? Or is there another motive?

My single friends tell me how their parents/relatives are constantly "harrassing" them into finding someone. The pressure seems to be definitely there in our society.
I haven't noticed pressure from other people, but I have noticed that the older I get, the harder it is to find new friends! I am 28, and I recently moved to a new city, and everyone my age is married with kids, and I basically have no one to hang out with, because all of my friends at work have families to take care of after school. I feel like I have to be in a relationship, get married, and have kids to find a social life!!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:26 AM

249 posts, read 473,710 times
Miss Sunshine
I agree with you... I have been single for awhile... I want to find someone who will compliment my life but I am happy being single... i travel and do anything my heart desires... I have moments when I wish for a SO like traveling to italy( where it appears everyone is in love )...

The older I get I find that many of my friends are married and they look at me as if I have two heads b/c I am 31 and unmarried and have no kids....

Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 PM

119 posts, read 457,009 times
I love being single and plan on being that way for as long as possible...I'm 30 so maybe by the time I'm 60, I MIGHT consider it. There are just way too many things I want to do and getting married would just put a kink in my plans.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:45 PM

218 posts, read 606,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
I am enjoying the single life, but my friends who are in relationships seem to think I'm secretly miserable and won't admit that I wish I wasn't single.
I know exactly what you mean!!! I was at a party a few weeks ago and this one particular woman kept going on and on and on about when you're not looking that's when you'll find it and I kept trying to tell her that it's not a subject I'm interested in. And she would repeat herself like I'm some sort of word-imparied person, "but it's when you're not looking." And I finally raised my voice and was a bit whiney and said, "I don't WANT it to happen. I'm so totally NOT INTERESTED in the topic." But, yeah, when you're not looking . . . errrrrr (bang head, bang head, bang head). I've been divorced about two years and I swear the first thing women say to me is "so, what kind of man are you looking for?" Drives me nuts. I'm in my late 40s and am I not a complete person all by myself? I think good relationships are great and can be very fulfilling. I'm just not interested right now. Maybe eventually. Maybe it will be too late. Maybe I should shave my head, buy a boat and sail to the moon.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
I know exactly what you mean!!! I was at a party a few weeks ago and this one particular woman kept going on and on and on about when you're not looking that's when you'll find it and I kept trying to tell her that it's not a subject I'm interested in. And she would repeat herself like I'm some sort of word-imparied person, "but it's when you're not looking." And I finally raised my voice and was a bit whiney and said, "I don't WANT it to happen. I'm so totally NOT INTERESTED in the topic." But, yeah, when you're not looking . . . errrrrr (bang head, bang head, bang head). I've been divorced about two years and I swear the first thing women say to me is "so, what kind of man are you looking for?" Drives me nuts. I'm in my late 40s and am I not a complete person all by myself? I think good relationships are great and can be very fulfilling. I'm just not interested right now. Maybe eventually. Maybe it will be too late. Maybe I should shave my head, buy a boat and sail to the moon.
"When you're not looking"...I have heard that too...It must mean someone will sneak up on us when we aren't looking and say "Boo!"
To me, looking or not looking, it is the availability out there.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Boy, you said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumus View Post
I haven't noticed pressure from other people, but I have noticed that the older I get, the harder it is to find new friends! I am 28, and I recently moved to a new city, and everyone my age is married with kids, and I basically have no one to hang out with, because all of my friends at work have families to take care of after school. I feel like I have to be in a relationship, get married, and have kids to find a social life!!

The world is full of contradictions. Everyone wants to be free and easy, but then, everything revolves around married people. Try living in a suburban development if you are single. It is like being a fish out of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships