Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Haven't you pointed out on this forum that you do not respect your mother?
You've watched "Psycho" one too many times. I think you found a way to contort such a statement or quote it out of context, kind of like Bill Clinton saying "I've inhaled" pot where it was being smoked.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So the traditional male isn't an intellectual, I think we've established that much.
If it means not being involved with women who say "I'm spiritual" when you ask them their religion, then I guess he's not as cerebral or ethereal as they are.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You've watched "Psycho" one too many times. I think you found a way to contort such a statement or quote it out of context, kind of like Bill Clinton saying "I've inhaled" pot where it was being smoked.
I've never watched the movie in it's entirety,but it's interesting that it comes to mind for you. As I've mentioned in the past, I recall you mentioning disrespect about your mom. So, are you saying you give her the respect she deserves?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, this is painfully obvious, and kind of the root of what's going on here in my estimation.
Are you a professional estimator or an "armchair psychologist?"

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've never watched the movie in it's entirety,but it's interesting that it comes to mind for you. As I've mentioned in the past, I recall you mentioning disrespect about your mom. So, are you saying you give her the respect she deserves?
My Mom is awesome. She was surrounded by men, and used to laugh at all of our jokes. In fact, when some of the neighborhood kids toilet papered a house diagonally in front of ours, I was in the living room, with the curtains barely cracked, trying not to laugh and wake anybody up. She woke up, looked at the house where it looked like it had "snowed," and laughed. She did want us to tone things down every now and then, and we didn't listen. Now is this loaded enough for a $250/hr. shrink?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
It's easier to cut and paste.

Tradition | Define Tradition at Dictionary.com

Then, apply this to gender roles.
Tradition: "passed down through generations". But bobert, you said your mom worked, (which isn't traditional, the custom wasn't passed down through generations in the Old Country), but also was traditional. That's what I'm trying to clarify. You said Friedan went traditional later in life, because she gave up her writing, etc., and stayed home. But you want your "traditional" wife to work.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
I'm saying that most men know about cars, would be interested in some type of sport, and study practical subjects. Which cars, sports, and subjects interest them may differ.
Hah...okay, I'll bite.

Case in point - my boyfriend:

Knows about cars? Um, he knows how to BUY a car. He can drive a stick shift. He can change a tire. He's actually the first guy I've ever dated, though, who takes his cars in for oil changes, rather than doing it himself. He does think NASCAR is the biggest affront to the thinking human that exists, but maybe that goes under "sports."

Interested in sports: Yep, loves hockey, baseball, football, and NCAA basketball, in that order. He'll blow off all of them to play a jazz piano gig, though.

Studies practical subjects? Well, he majored in English, studied piano at conservatory, and got a graduate degree in accounting/CPA.

He's also an atheist libertarian.

Does this make him part traditional, part wacky individualist? Or just, you know, a normal, interesting guy who likes what he likes, and doesn't worry too much about stereotypes others hold?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
My Mom is awesome. She was surrounded by men, and used to laugh at all of our jokes. In fact, when some of the neighborhood kids toilet papered a house diagonally in front of ours, I was in the living room, with the curtains barely cracked, trying not to laugh and wake anybody up. She woke up, looked at the house where it looked like it had "snowed," and laughed. She did want us to tone things down every now and then, and we didn't listen. Now is this loaded enough for a $250/hr. shrink?
It's good that you respect and think highly of her.

It was this post that made me believe you do not respect your mother.

//www.city-data.com/forum/6407740-post36.html

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
If it means not being involved with women who say "I'm spiritual" when you ask them their religion, then I guess he's not as cerebral or ethereal as they are.
No, no, you said the traditional guy studies "practical" subjects. So anthropology, quantum physics, literature, and other brainy stuff isn't "practical". That's how I understood it, but feel free to clarify.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, ladies and germs
Is that a typo or a Freudian slip? Hmm, too many wrong letters for a typo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships