Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men: Would you date a woman who majored/minored in Feminist or Women's Studies?
Yes, no problem 15 41.67%
Eh, depends on whether or not she is attractive 5 13.89%
Nah, don't think I need the hassles 3 8.33%
No, and how fast can I run? 12 33.33%
Other - explain 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh gosh. I took a female playwrights course in college. And yet - men have still fallen in love with me! Fancy that!
I'll see your female playwright class, and raise you a year's worth of visits to Planned Parenthood for affordable oral contraceptives. Oh, us zany, unlovable feminists!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Does this make him part traditional, part wacky individualist? Or just, you know, a normal, interesting guy who likes what he likes, and doesn't worry too much about stereotypes others hold?
Watch out, you'll confuse him. Bobert likes his categories in neat and tidy boxes.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Does this make him part traditional, part wacky individualist? Or just, you know, a normal, interesting guy who likes what he likes, and doesn't worry too much about stereotypes others hold?
As long as you're happy, what do I care? Would he date a woman in a feminist studies program, or would he have preferred a demure coed studying elementary education?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Watch out, you'll confuse him. Bobert likes his categories in neat and tidy boxes.
Read a travel guide sometime. Read one on Lisbon for that matter. It will tell you the stereotypical vibe of each of the city's neighborhoods, in neat and tidy boxes.

BTW, 44% of the men are tending toward the NO on this. Yzette was honest enough to admit she voted YES, which disrupts the "honor code."

Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,513 times
Not at all.

I have in the past, and it was just for flings. In my experience these girls who major in women studies, it's a bigger example of saying one thing and meaning the other. Try having a meaningful conversation about say a Emma Goldman (post American deportation in particular) or Hannah Arendt, it's almost like staring at someone pondering a rhetorical question. I'm not knocking her choice of major, but if it's something that she's passionate about at least be able to hold your weight when asked or questioned about things in that realm (and please try reading Rand before trying to drop a deuce on her based on heresy).

Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot
Would he date a woman in a feminist studies program, or would he have preferred a demure coed studying elementary education?
I don't know. He's been with a theatre arts and English double major who has been an inner city youth worker, a newspaper reporter and editor, a Legal Aid paralegal, and a teacher of autistic children, in addition to being a feminist, for the past five years, so I'm guessing neither?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
I'll see your female playwright class, and raise you a year's worth of visits to Planned Parenthood for affordable oral contraceptives. Oh, us zany, unlovable feminists!
Whoa, whoa! The "traditional" woman is embarrassed about sex, and doesn't use birth control, because it's not "traditional", and besides, the Pope said it's bad, and the Bible said sex is bad, so ... gee, it looks like not too much sex for Bobert. Unless he gets some phone numbers from Tiger...

Hey, Robert, did Mama use birth control? How did mom and dad do it, the "traditional" way? Missionary position only? Sounds like fun. Well, you know, if it was good enough for Mama, it's good enough for sonny-boy.

edit: The votes are still neck and neck.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Not at all.

I have in the past, and it was just for flings. In my experience these girls who major in women studies, it's a bigger example of saying one thing and meaning the other. Try having a meaningful conversation about say a Emma Goldman (post American deportation in particular) or Hannah Arendt, it's almost like staring at someone pondering a rhetorical question. I'm not knocking her choice of major, but if it's something that she's passionate about at least be able to hold your weight when asked or questioned about things in that realm (and please try reading Rand before trying to drop a deuce on her based on heresy).
Correct. I think the passion is misplaced.

Well, when a Wellesley offers an elective course like "Film: the Latina depicted as a Bombshell," how do you expect them to stand their ground on anything of substance. But if you ask them about Tracy Chapman, they could probably tell you the whereabouts of her next concert.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Not at all.

Same goes for most people about most subjects. Lets take things people put in their bodies everyday. They don't even understand the ingredients label on the processed foods they eat, let alone the physiochemistry, metabolism, ec of their own bodies. And forget about the pain killers and whatever drugs they suck down in droves on a daily basis. They don't want to know. They don't care. And they certainly cannot discuss it. They cannot discuss themselves, which is bizarre to me.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,513 times
I can't help but laugh but at some of these posts!

The funny thing is that this thread was started at 4:03 (est) and it's well over 20 pages, that's hilarious considering the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships