Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility_now View Post
Good for you. That's not mine and my friends experience.
Well, I don't really know what your goal is, or how you try to achieve it. If you are truly interested in forming long term, monogamous relationships with marriage in mind, and it's not working for you and your friends, maybe you should ask someone who accomplished that goal to give you some guidance.

Or I guess you could just keep on doing what you're doing and being frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ummm I've changed my mind over the last couple of weeks. But please carry on!

Does this mean good news?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ummm I've changed my mind over the last couple of weeks. But please carry on!
Who did you meet Reed?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoldPride View Post
I disabled my profile on OKCupid a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's just where I live, but I did it because the guys messaging me were bottom of the barrel types who could barely write a sentence or would only message just to write "hi" or "how are you?" Like I'm sure you weren't sending that message to 20 other girls, right? The last guy I talked to before disabling my account didn't understand that I didn't share an interest of his and was thinking that I would like it. He couldn't get no means no, so away he went.

I've been on Match.com but have gotten nothing out of it. Just guys who were already discussing sex by the second message or threw out their phone numbers on the first message. Not sure if they were fake or desperate, but I've pretty much given up on that too and will likely cancel my subscription.
Hey - I'm one of the guys who writes "hey, how was your day," as the first message!

Don't write them off!

The ratio to answered vs unanswered messages simply doesn't allow too much time spent writing thoughtful introductions to people who otherwise don't want to talk to you..

It's pretty frustrating reading so many profiles and thinking up some thoughtful introduction, only to be met with no response.

I do read profiles before contact, but I don't give anything more than "how was your day?" until I know they also are interested in talking to me. THEN we can talk of shared interest etc..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm not sure if I'm the one you mean but yep had this happen often. I don't know if it was the free sites but had several guys ask me for nude photos or told me they masturbated to my photo. Others left creepy messages and I picked up they were just looking for sex. I suppose at least they were honest so I didn't waste time meeting them. Then there were the clingy guys the guys saying "I love you" without having met or getting freaky if I didn't get back like within an hour. On a paid site this one guy sounded okay until I talked to him more and found out he pushed his ex because "she deserved it" then emailed me a horrendous book blaming abused and cheated on women for not being submissive. He told me he expected his wife to cater to him as he is the head. I stopped talking to him when he told me abortion should never be legal even in cases of health of the mother and she should be willing to die so the fetus could live.
Yep, it was you. I don't care if they're honest or not, I'm a honest person myself and I think they wasted some precious time writing to me. Surprising how desperate some people can be.

Oh, dude. I think we're even. I had this one guy debating birth control stuff with me. He was crappy and arrogant, just like all his other responses. "Are you a doctor? Because I am, and I know that yes it does." First off, you aren't a sex therapist in any sense of the word, just a surgeon. BTW, I smell a troll here because he said he got tested for STDs once a year and a friend advised me, "Just be firm and tell him to ___ off. I wouldn't do it if I were you, he sounds kinda ___ up. BTW, this guy is off his rocker. You're supposed to get tested every three months."

Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Yep, it was you. I don't care if they're honest or not, I'm a honest person myself and I think they wasted some precious time writing to me. Surprising how desperate some people can be.

Oh, dude. I think we're even. I had this one guy debating birth control stuff with me. He was crappy and arrogant, just like all his other responses. "Are you a doctor? Because I am, and I know that yes it does." First off, you aren't a sex therapist in any sense of the word, just a surgeon. BTW, I smell a troll here because he said he got tested for STDs once a year and a friend advised me, "Just be firm and tell him to ___ off. I wouldn't do it if I were you, he sounds kinda ___ up. BTW, this guy is off his rocker. You're supposed to get tested every three months."
I have been someone who apparently attracted the creepiest men on these dating sites and no idea how. The sad thing was I was contacting guys I was interested in and they were deleting me (and none of them were hot guys either)while the creepos contacted me.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have been someone who apparently attracted the creepiest men on these dating sites and no idea how. The sad thing was I was contacting guys I was interested in and they were deleting me (and none of them were hot guys either)while the creepos contacted me.
I don't think many of the creepers actually looked at profiles or took the site seriously, they just glanced at a picture and sent a simple message and HOPED that eventually a girl would take the bait.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Who did you meet Reed?

Nosy arse people! Yes I've met someone geesh! She is eleven Hrs away though but we've met several times we drive halfway spend the weekend together or the day. No sex came close but we're in no hurry. I got off POF & OkCupid Went to a Pagan dating site & two days into I got messaged by her!
There are some prpblems but we're taking our time & seeing how things go, She is coming up on the first weekend of Nov & a bunch of us are going to the Carolina renaissance festival together. I think having someone who believes as I do means I don't have to explain what I do nor do I have to worry about them trying to change what I believe.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't think many of the creepers actually looked at profiles or took the site seriously, they just glanced at a picture and sent a simple message and HOPED that eventually a girl would take the bait.
Yes, and that is exactly where the problem starts. Oh well, I am not taking the bait anymore.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
I am feeling bad about this this morning. I forgot I still have one of my free profiles and got contacted. The men who contacted me were UGLY. I realize beauty is skin deep and all that but these guys are repulsive to me. I am not looking for George Clooney but these guys are more like George from Seinfeld (and he would be one of the better looking guys who contacted me).

It is affecting my self esteem. I am decent looking, at least I thought so, but then why am I having the ugliest men contact me? I'm talking super obese, guys with beady eyes, no teeth, mullets, etc. The average looking guys ignore me like the best looking. I get it, the best looking men are seeking much younger women because they are hot. This stinks but I accepted this. However the average men avoid me too.

There is a guy I am interested in but he's definitely on the ugly side too. I like him because he's nice but not someone I would have considered years ago. However he's definitely better looking than these guys.

I know this makes me sound superficial but I can't date a man I find repulsive and that's all I find on these sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships