Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Many guys may not agree to being expected to pay, take initiative, etc. just as many women do not agree on being expected to do house chores. Both are sexist, yet, women argue against sexist traditions that expect them to do something but not sexist traditions that expect from men.

I am all for BOTH men and women doing house chores and BOTH men and women paying for the date, taking initiative, and so on.
No different than men it's a people thing not a gender thing exclusive to gals. I see quite a bit of guys talking about equality when it benefits their wallet or they can hit gals yet when it comes to wearing the pants and the sl*t double standard....

Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
After reading this thread, the first question to my next date will be: " Do you think it is unfair that you pay for the first few dates". If he says yes, I would know my life with him would be a soul-sucking experience of perceive unfairness, because he took me to the Olive Garden and bought me a 5 dollars glass of wine.

Life is unfair. And short for infertile soul sucking drama filled discussions over who pays for a date.
Same little drama for women who complain about house chores, come on, where are the real women? <sarcasm> I say it that way as women can be hear complaining about men who don’t spend their money on them since that is supposed to be “a man’s job”. Then you tell those same women about their job to cook and clean as a "woman's job" and all of a sudden that is considered sexist, go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
No different than men it's a people thing not a gender thing exclusive to gals. I see quite a bit of guys talking about equality when it benefits their wallet or they can hit gals yet when it comes to wearing the pants and the sl*t double standard....
Then how about men and women taking initiative, asking each other out (not your husband, long time boyfriend, necessarily), paying for the dinner and wine, doing house chores, etc.? Imagine yourself approaching the new guy in the office to introduce yourself, ask him his number and give him yours, ask him out, be ready to take care of all expenses, send him a gift to his desk, etc.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Then how about men and women taking initiative, asking each other out (not your husband, long time boyfriend, necessarily), paying for the dinner and wine, doing house chores, etc.?
Interesting how your response syncs with "yet when it comes to wearing the pants and the sl*t double standard...."

Your proposition while missing some elements is unlikely to happen since likely hypocritical double standards and gender roles will always exist and people will choose what suits.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Interesting how your response syncs with "yet when it comes to wearing the pants and the sl*t double standard...."

Your proposition while missing some elements is unlikely to happen since likely hypocritical double standards and gender roles will always exist and people will choose what suits.
It would suit me to say that house chores is “a lady’s job” but I find it sexist, as sexist as women demanding/expecting men to pay for their expenses, take initiative, and so on. Are men able to clean a house, you bet. Are women able to take out their wallet and pay, approach a man to ask him out, etc.? you bet. But people rather cherry pick traditions and do what suits them. I chose not to and so far it has worked just fine. How about you?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
According to the law, women should pay for 50% of everything.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It would suit me to say that house chores is “a lady’s job” but I find it sexist, as sexist as women demanding/expecting men to pay for their expenses, take initiative, and so on. Are men able to clean a house, you bet. Are women able to take out their wallet and pay, approach a man to ask him out, etc.? you bet. But people rather cherry pick traditions and do what suits them. I chose not to and so far it has worked just fine. How about you?
I do what suits me unless it harms children or animals though as my intention isn't to hurt children or animals that suits me as well.

I see no reason for me to attempt to lessen any sexism in my actions such as guys pay when likely most of the guys benefiting only think of equality when it comes to his wallet.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would think that if you ask someone out on a date, you are inviting them out so you should be prepared to treat. That goes for men, or women! If your not prepared to open your wallett for your date, you shouldn't be asking anyone out.

(Which doesn't mean that anyone should expect the other to pay under any circumstance either... however, it is better to expect to pay, and end up having your date offer to pay instead of fighting about the bill at the end of the date).
EXACTLY.

Scorekeeping does not bode well for a relationship. Worrying about being tit-for-tat and making sure you're compensated equally also doesn't bode well. Relationships are fluid, give and take, the healthy ones balance out in the long run and don't worry about the day-to-day. If you want success, put your best foot forward and think about the other person, not just yourself.

If you don't want to pay, don't plan a date that costs money. If an ice cream cone or a latte are too much for you to handle, maybe you need to look internally and find out what it is about your character that you're not able to be giving, without receiving back. Good times and happy memories don't come with a price tag.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I do what suits me unless it harms children or animals though as my intention isn't to hurt children or animals that suits me as well.
Sounds good.

Quote:
I see no reason for me to attempt to lessen any sexism in my actions such as guys pay when likely most of the guys benefiting only think of equality when it comes to his wallet.
That's the thing. Guys will benefit from sexism when it comes to house chores, women benefit from sexism when it comes to their wallet. For me it makes more sense to have women also pay for a man, ask him out, take initiative, etc. same way with a man doing house chores without being asked. I am all for BOTH men and women doing all. Women don't seem to like that.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
EXACTLY.

Scorekeeping does not bode well for a relationship. Worrying about being tit-for-tat and making sure you're compensated equally also doesn't bode well.
That's right. Men taking a spread sheet or women keeping score on who did the dishes last night or who vacuumed last week.

Quote:
If you don't want to pay, don't plan a date that costs money. If an ice cream cone or a latte are too much for you to handle, maybe you need to look internally and find out what it is about your character that you're not able to be giving, without receiving back. Good times and happy memories don't come with a price tag.
Well said. Also, if a dinner will take lots of cleaning then a woman could think about preparing something less complicated so that cleaning is not too much I guess.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
I take issue with the word 'expect'.

I dislike being expected to do anything by anyone who does not pay my bills or who has a sense of entitlement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships