Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM

101 posts, read 249,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think that women, especially when they get older, choose personality over looks. Ugly men have it easier than ugly women.
I believe so, too. When I see who the pretty girls I went to school with ended up marrying, Im like why? And these girls dated the hot, rich and popular guys back then.

Even I would never give the time of day to any guy I didn't find cute when I was in high school, but now I find myself attracted to men who are nice, have or want LTRs and have stable jobs--it surprises me that physical features don't matter as much anymore.

It's more than just about being pampered, it shows the man's sense of responsibility, discipline and strength of character. You can see him being a good father. You also know that he will respect you. Those are what make him attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM

190 posts, read 305,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I would say"

- get stylish haircut
- eat healthy foods and drink lots of water, because it does wonders for your complexion.
- exercise to lose weight and be in a healthy weight range for your frame/age/height. Being buff/ripped is not necessary.
- dress nicely in fitted clothing. Nice does not = expensive.
- carry yourself well, upright, shoulders back, head up, make eye contact and smile, not hunched over/inward and looking at the ground.
-walk with purpose, not shuffle along dragging your feet

If you look at this list, none of it is expensive, and these are all things you should want to do for yourself, not simply to attract others
Thank you for the response. I'll try all of this. Good advice, especially the walking with purpose part.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,503,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I will say, if you want to attract a CERTAIN TYPE of woman, clothes can help.

Hipster women are attracted to hipster men, etc.

My own style is semi-urban metrosexual with a hint of overgrown hipster thrown in...
Well yeah. But there are a ton of men out there who are not dressing in a way that suits them. You can still be a hipster and dress in a way that flatters you. I'm not saying you don't, obviously I have no idea.

I'll give you an example. I have a fabulous dress that my husband took home from a commercial shoot he was directing. I love it, it's just my size and style and it totally looks like crap on me. I'm little and curvy and while the dress fits perfectly it looks like a sack of potatoes because its cut for someone without a chest. So while it fits into my wardrobe I don't wear it cause it isn't flattering.

That was a really long winded way of saying you can choose a style and still be wearing the wrong thing. Ask a female in your life to help you out.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM

190 posts, read 305,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfuchsia View Post
Oh and smell nice Personally, I go crazy over some men's cologne...
I've never used cologne. Does it actually have an effect? It seems a bit metro. Not that there's anything wrong with guys who use it. I just haven't ever thought of using it. Maybe I'd give it a try if people really recommended it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Before you do any of those things, stop thinking of yourself as ugly. That would be an excellent start.
You haven't seen my face, though. Mindset is irrelevant in my case. I need advice on what I can do to make improvements on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Be nice....

lols

Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Quote:
I believe so, too. When I see who the pretty girls I went to school with ended up marrying, Im like why? And these girls dated the hot, rich and popular guys back then.

Even I would never give the time of day to any guy I didn't find cute when I was in high school, but now I find myself attracted to men who are nice, have or want LTRs and have stable jobs--it surprises me that physical features don't matter as much anymore.
That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

To marry the girl who wouldn't even talk to me in high school so she can cash my paychecks and get her nails done all day.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post
I've never used cologne. Does it actually have an effect? It seems a bit metro. Not that there's anything wrong with guys who use it. I just haven't ever thought of using it. Maybe I'd give it a try if people really recommended it.

You haven't seen my face, though. Mindset is irrelevant in my case. I need advice on what I can do to make improvements on the outside.

lols

I can't stand cologne, just a personal opinion, there are women who love it. I prefer men who just smell like soap or shaving cream or other man smells

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post
there must be a way to make some improvements and be more more desirable. (apart from surgery)

nothing wrong with wanting to improve and make an effort.

go to the gym?
eat better food?
expensive clothes?

what would help?

post some ideas
You're obviously serious.

Here's my 'nice' advice.

Go to Macys and plan to spend around $500. Buy some clothes that fit well and are stylish. Find your niche. Are you more of a Hilfiger guy, DKNY, Perry Ellis, Abercrombie, or Brooks Brothers

The clothes makes the man.

Women still might not be physically attracted, but nice clothes that YOU picked out will make you feel more confident.

Get your haircut once a month at least, and every now and then tell the stylist to do it up crazy. Sometimes I bring a photo I clipped from a magazine.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,134,604 times
Quote:
For women, power and the the ability to take care of her/the family are attractive. It may make most women look like gold diggers, but that's how we're built.
Speak for yourself. I have a job which provides me an income to take care of myself and my needs/wants.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM

11,804 posts, read 12,045,871 times
Quote:

It's more than just about being pampered, it shows the man's sense of responsibility, discipline and strength of character. You can see him being a good father. You also know that he will respect you. Those are what make him attractive.
It is surprising, but IMO, it's stages of life we go through. In your teens/early 20s, your hormones are raging, so many people are looking at others solely based on appearance, not personality. It's when you grow up and also hopefully mature as you grow up, that you realize the superficial stuff from your youth isn't as important.

It's not about going after the hotties and then being "used up" and "settling" for the guy who is reliable and has a good personality once you're 30, it's a matter of discovering what's important in the grand scheme of life.

Last edited by Katnan; 11-16-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
It is surprising, but IMO, it's stages of life we go through. In your teens/early 20s, your hormones are raging, so many people are looking at others solely based on appearance, not personalit. It's when you grow up and also hopefully mature as you grow up, that you realize the superficial stuff from your youth isn't as important.

It's not about going after the hotties and then being "used up" and "settling" for the guy who is reliable and has a good personality once you're 30, it's a matter of discovering what's important in the grand scheme of life.
So true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships