Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times

Advertisements

It's a line unattached women hear from their friends often when they wonder why they seem to be perpetually single. "Men are just intimidated because you're so beautiful/smart/successful/etc."

Is it true that men are afraid to approach a woman they find extremely attractive, or is it just a line used to make these women feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I admit, I often am. That's why it's easier to just hang around/make friends with the plain janes, because there's not that constant nagging attraction there.

I'm sure it's a major problem for your beautiful model friends.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,553 times
yes. some men can get over it and others cannot. Men who have had past successes are more confident regarding this.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
It's a line unattached women hear from their friends often when they wonder why they seem to be perpetually single. "Men are just intimidated because you're so beautiful/smart/successful/etc."

Is it true that men are afraid to approach a woman they find extremely attractive, or is it just a line used to make these women feel better?

I have heard that myself a few different times from friends. I don't put much stock in it anymore. I probably believed that for maybe a year and felt good about myself because of it. Then reality sinks in that they were probably trying to be nice and not tell you the real truth: you're ugly/unattractive, no man would want you because of a, b, or c. etc.

Nobody wants to tell their friend things like that, so instead they say: "you intimidate men b/c you're soooo attractive/smart." LOL.

No I do not think men are 'intimidated' by women. They will bend over backwards to accommodate attractive ones, whenever possible. Seen it with my own eyes.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
In my salad days, I could have been. I remember being introduced to one girl who was so gorgeous that I was totally tongue tied. As in all I could do was babble insensibly. Meanwhile, my brain was saying, "Good God, Man! Say something witty! You're better than this!" Needless to say, I didn't make a good impression. She probably thought I was semi-retarded.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In my salad days, I could have been. I remember being introduced to one girl who was so gorgeous that I was totally tongue tied. As in all I could do was babble insensibly. Meanwhile, my brain was saying, "Good God, Man! Say something witty! You're better than this!" Needless to say, I didn't make a good impression. She probably thought I was semi-retarded.
That's why male trash gets the best women. They have the guts!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
When I was younger, I think I may have been somewhat intimidated, but I was also more shy and not very good at "small talk".

As I got older I also become more confident, and now, it's not a problem approaching or talking to anyone, though it's still unlikely that I'd insinuate myself into a group of people with that goal unless I knew some of them.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM

566 posts, read 958,207 times
Good looking, successful men aren't. However, guys who don't fall into that category are.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I admit, I often am. That's why it's easier to just hang around/make friends with the plain janes, because there's not that constant nagging attraction there.

I'm sure it's a major problem for your beautiful model friends.
Hm...no, I think most of them have boyfriends. But maybe they do have trouble when they're single.

It's definitely something I've heard before, and I go back and forth between dismissing it as a platitude and thinking it may be true. Maybe my height really is intimidating to those who aren't simply turned off by it. And I have a degree in math, a subject that most people avoid like the plague. So maybe the intimidation factor does come into play.

But I have a boyfriend and am generally not hurting for attention, so at least some guys don't find me scary.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
I think that is largely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships