Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM

550 posts, read 984,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I want to talk constructively with you.

You said earlier that she inspired you to go into engineering. That's cool that someone gave you inspiration, we all need mentors and bits of inspiration to get going in life. But, you never said exactly how she gave you inspiration. I would like to learn exactly what she did. Where you doing bad in math class, and she tutored you? Did she give you advice on how to excel academically or hook you up with a job shadowing opportunity at an engineering firm? She sounds nice, and you said she was nice. But words are empty without actions. I would like to know exactly what actions she has taken that makes her amazing.

That way, I can determine the nature of your crush. For example, crush that is based on solid personality traits/virtue is better than a crush based on just raw lust.
No you need to read his previous posts on this issue. She never tutored him. The only interaction they have had in 4 years of high school is her rudely telling him to shut up and giving him dirty looks whenever they pass each other.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM

597 posts, read 1,147,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Please, please seek help. You certainly are picking to be unhappy. Everyone is free to reject anyone they choose for whatever reason. YOU are free to reject anyone you choose for whatever reason.

I agree. However this girl simply does not recognize the great impact she will have on my life by her rejection.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 PM

837 posts, read 961,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
I agree. However this girl simply does not recognize the great impact she will have on my life by her rejection.
She probably doesn't recognize it, and even if she did, I guarantee you she wouldn't care.

Why do you think she might care about making your life better? What's in it for her? You don't have what she wants so it would be a one-sided relationship. This is psychotic, selfish thinking.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I did not pick to be unhappy. She was the one who made the decision to reject me.
You chose to be unhappy. You control your own mind, thoughts, feelings, and behavior. You are choosing to ignore and not respect her feelings. Your friends are making it worse. The only one you seem to care about is your feelings. To blame her for your unhappiness is selfish

You can not blame someone else for not feeling what only you feel

It seems that its all about how you feel and the impact on YOU. Its all about you and what you want. You dont realize you are coming off incredibly selfish. Simply because you dont even consider her feelings and the negative impact your personality is having on her. You only consider what you want.

Last edited by smalltowngirl25; 04-26-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
No you need to read his previous posts on this issue. She never tutored him. The only interaction they have had in 4 years of high school is her rudely telling him to shut up and giving him dirty looks whenever they pass each other.
Hm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay watson
Again, this may sound crazy but had it not been for her I would not have had a building engineering apprenticeship this past summer. Her good example inspired me to persevere in my goals, which I did. And I eventually did get accepted into the apprenticeship. Now, I continue working towards my goal of a profession in this field after graduation. They say there is a woman, behind every great man. And while, I may not be “great”, yet, I am much closer to my dream of a career as a building enginner.
Thanks for the link, Jay. It still only answers my question about only 30% though. How did she help you to do this? Did she tell you of the apprenticeship? What good example did she show (that she is an honor student and does extracurriculars or something else)? She sounds like the type of high school kid I was.

I think that you are selling yourself short. You made the grades. You impressed the engineering people enough to get an apprenticeship. She inspired you, but you did the work.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Certain events have led me to believe that one of the major reasons for my rejection by the young lady I am interested in is due to my appearance. I do not consider myself hideous, however I know am nothing extraordinary in the looks department. Apparently, my appearance is not satisfactory by this girl’s standards.

My question for you today is this: Do you believe it is possible for someone to eventually come to accept another for a relationship regardless of an appearance issue. Could they ever possibly see beyond the outside appearance of a person, and come to know the qualities/traits which truly define their character?

I previously posted that I believed this type of judgment to be grossly unfair. After much debate with others on this forum, I have come to recognize that it is not possible to minimize the issue, because apparently appearance IS very important.

I am curious to see what you think.Please share your thoughts and opinions regarding this question

Thank you very much,
J
People are very judgemental, shallow and materialistic, these type of attitudes is mostly common amongst 20 somethings where the wrong reasons are right and the right reasons are wrong.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 PM

Its not just his appearance though. She is also clearly put off by his personality as well.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Hm.

I think that you are selling yourself short. You made the grades. You impressed the engineering people enough to get an apprenticeship. She inspired you, but you did the work.
Perhaps, it was her dedication to excellence in all areas of school that inspired me to work harder and improve myself. I've always known she was an achiever, and had high expectations. Therefore, I began to work on improving the strengths I had, which in this case was a strong interest in building engineering and a desire to learn more.

Had it not been for her, I might not have taken this first step into the adult world. For her inspiration, I will be forever grateful.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
The only real solution is for her to become accepting of others. Judgment based solely on a person’s appearance (which is entirely uncontrollable) is a perfect example of bigotry.
I'd say you are the one that needs to be as accepting of others. You need to accept her feelings. If she wants to date somebody she is attracted to rather than somebody she has been turned off by, that is her choice and her life. She is allowed to make that call. You are also harshly judging her worse.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
I'd say you are the one that needs to be as accepting of others. You need to accept her feelings. If she wants to date somebody she is attracted to rather than somebody she has been turned off by, that is her choice and her life. She is allowed to make that call. You are also harshly judging her worse.
At this point I do accept her prerogative, whatever it may be. I only hope that by the time we are true adults (after college, in the workforce, etc) she will have changed her mind. I simply hope that she will reconsider giving me a chance, and provide me the oppurtunity to prove myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships