Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:54 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times

Advertisements

Free sites: Datehookup, OK Cupid and Plenty of Fish. All have failed for me, though met a nice guy on POF. Met better guys on Match and CatholicMatch though no long term relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Me too. And in my profile, I didn't say anything mean about single dads; I just said that I was CBC and looking for the same, that's really it. I'm not one of those angry childfree people who hate parents and kids, either. The main reason I thought that OLD might work for me was that I'd be able to find someone who was childless by choice, too. My last ex was, and that gave us the groundwork for a solid future together. But ... I just think that part of our problem was that we met online and didn't get to know the other important things about each other.
My profile wasn't nasty either, I said I was childless and looking for a childless man. I did eventually add something like "I'm not open to dating fathers" but that was only because even when I stated childless men only I got bombarded by dads. One time I had over 100 messages from dads! I even stated I like kids and am not judging them, it's just not for me. The funny thing is most of these men were the extreme when it came to dads, like with several baby mamas or with ex-wives they hated, which is probably why they got nasty.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I wonder what kind of cross section of the population uses online dating sites. I wonder the same thing about other internet sites, such as this one. Am I seeing the "normal" population or some sort of an interesting cross section?
According to one UCLA study, people with low self-esteem who place little value on romantic relationships are most likely to use OLD sites.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:06 PM

463 posts, read 559,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I wonder what kind of cross section of the population uses online dating sites. I wonder the same thing about other internet sites, such as this one. Am I seeing the "normal" population or some sort of an interesting cross section?
Mostly emotionally unstable and predatory types/socially clueless losers. Both men and women. Online dating is something that should not be used as your primary outlet to meet people. Finding someone OL worth keeping around is like a needle in a haystack.

Anyone you meet via OLD, screen hard and quick. Any fib or indication that something may be off....do not hesitate to cut them off completely. Someone worth keeping around should be just as cautious about meeting you.....if they seem to push hard for a meet, RED FLAG.

A healthy and active social life in the real world are your best avenues for finding a suitable mate. Most well-adjusted people are too busy living their lives to waste their precious evenings and weekends sifting through a bunch of dating duds. I'm of the belief that if you have everything together in your life....you will attract the right kind of person and not be in a desperate position to settle for just anyone.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:07 PM

One thing I saw repeatedly on dating sites were people with delusional ideals. I have to wonder if they were the same offline (which is why they were on sites)or had this idea that they could find the exact dream person online?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
In reality, online dating is no different from meeting normally. Either way you're going to meet good people and bad people. Anyone who blames online dating is just making an excuse.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:14 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
There are plenty of normal people using online dating - your friends, your family, your coworkers. I'm not sure why you guys insist on trying to insult those who use it.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
One thing I saw repeatedly on dating sites were people with delusional ideals. I have to wonder if they were the same offline (which is why they were on sites)or had this idea that they could find the exact dream person online?
According to the ASP, yes, they are the same type of people IRL. But they gravitate to OLD because it allows them to foster these notions of the "perfect mate." Most people who OLD will ditch a relationship as soon as the love interest shows flaws, or the relationship gets hard. That's why there is limited success for a lot of people.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
A healthy and active social life in the real world are your best avenues for finding a suitable mate. Most well-adjusted people are too busy living their lives to waste their precious evenings and weekends sifting through a bunch of dating duds. I'm of the belief that if you have everything together in your life....you will attract the right kind of person and not be in a desperate position to settle for just anyone.
I think the exact same thing, for the most part. Newspaper and magazine articles tout OLD for people who are "too busy" to meet other people. Really? Too busy to interact with other human beings, ever --? On what planet does that happen? Look, I can be quite introverted at times, but I still get out a lot. And what kills me is that in these profiles, the OLD users bang on and on about having a great social life. Well, if that's so, why haven't they found someone yet? Obviously, there's something really "off" about that person that turns people off pretty instantly.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
I tried OLD for about two years. It was an interesting way to meet people. I did the most to put the real me on display (OKC) I had journal, made my votes on questions along with explanations as to why I answered the way I did et al. Conclusion: the vast majority don't read or take it seriously. It's like trying to be the one person at a garage sale or flea market with a serious item to sell. Buffet 'brouser' syndrome.

This white paper sums up the problems very well. In short it's just another 'business' looking for velocity and repeat 'sales'.

http://drrobertepstein.com/pdf/Epste...ating-2-07.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships