Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM

6,146 posts, read 8,028,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImShmacked View Post
I'm single (I'm joking).

There are single women everywhere. You just have no idea where to find them!
Run away. Run far, run fast.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Well, I'm far less attractive now. My hairline has receded and my nose has grown bigger and my height has shrunk 0.5"-1.0".

Wait...does that mean....

Losing hair...shrinking...growing nose...

Are you starting to look like this guy?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM

377 posts, read 621,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

I can't find the actual survey now (and I need to cook dinner). But here is a blog post about it and why men really shouldn't worry so much about their looks.

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends
If anything, this data disproves the assertions you and the others on here are making that many women don't care about looks or that attraction is relative.

If attraction really were relative, you'd see an even distribution of how the woman rated the men, and it be exactly equal to how the men rated the women on average. The data doesn't even come close to that, and a strong consensus seems to emerge among the vast majority of women on who is unattractive and who is attractive. This alone shatters the notion that attraction is subjective and one woman's troll is another woman's prince charming. Clearly, reality is inconsistent with these treasured cliches.

Secondly, all women will readily admit they won't date a man they don't find attractive. Not that there is anything wrong with this, but it's fantasy to actually think that any woman would date a man she isn't at all attracted to. Can attraction that's already there be built over time? Possibly, but if the man does not reach a certain threshold in looks for the initial attraction to develop over time, then no amount of personality or "confidence" can ever create something that was not already there.

I thought in our previous discussion you and the others on here concluded that online dating is not representative of the real world and all data regarding online dating is worthless to begin with? Strange how you're then using the same data I used before to support my arguments and you readily dismissed as only applying to the online dating world.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM

219 posts, read 437,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think the opinions of one's friends are often taken by the individual as an indicator of the individual's worth or market value, nobody wants to see themselves as deficient or defective.
Don't let anybody tell you what your market value is. If your friends aren't down with your choice in gf's, it's not you, it's them. Those don't sound like friends. You can do better than friends like that.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,429,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorbaTheGeek View Post
Don't let anybody tell you what your market value is. If your friends aren't down with your choice in gf's, it's not you, it's them. Those don't sound like friends. You can do better than friends like that.

LOL reminds me of the time a friend of mine and i were talking about this guy that I was seeing who it didn't work out with. She goes "you should go for different guys...I mean...he was like... a 9!!!!". ya...she basically implied that I'm way below his league. Her and I aren't that close anymore. Too judgmental for me. And whether that was true or not, that guy pursued me.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,828,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
If anything, this data disproves the assertions you and the others on here are making that many women don't care about looks or that attraction is relative.

If attraction really were relative, you'd see an even distribution of how the woman rated the men, and it be exactly equal to how the men rated the women on average. The data doesn't even come close to that, and a strong consensus seems to emerge among the vast majority of women on who is unattractive and who is attractive. This alone shatters the notion that attraction is subjective and one woman's troll is another woman's prince charming. Clearly, reality is inconsistent with these treasured cliches.

Secondly, all women will readily admit they won't date a man they don't find attractive. Not that there is anything wrong with this, but it's fantasy to actually think that any woman would date a man she isn't at all attracted to. Can attraction that's already there be built over time? Possibly, but if the man does not reach a certain threshold in looks for the initial attraction to develop over time, then no amount of personality or "confidence" can ever create something that was not already there.

I thought in our previous discussion you and the others on here concluded that online dating is not representative of the real world and all data regarding online dating is worthless to begin with? Strange how you're then using the same data I used before to support my arguments and you readily dismissed as only applying to the online dating world.
I don't think we disagree all too much. I said that it would seem women are more critical on looks. But if they are messaging men they think aren't good looking, then it makes sense that they are doing so because looks aren't all that important to them. Women are also very critical of their own looks for what it's worth.

And yeah, online dating isn't representative of all dating. But my take on it was it's because you really don't get to know the person--it's based on pictures and the personal PR that people write about themselves.

But unfortunately, even though woman after woman here will say over and over again that looks aren't everything (or even their priority) when looking for a man, men here will often say they are lying because they know this one women who dates only "hot" men. I thought some hard data would be convincing since a woman's word doesn't seem to carry any weight, and nothing spells that out more clearly than the OK Cupid story.

It's funny... you get these threads where some men will argue that all women care about is looks. Then a few weeks later you get another thread where some men will argue all women care about is attitude (bad boys). Then a few weeks later you get a thread where some men say women only care about status and money.... etc, etc. It's the same thread, just the one thing all women only care about changes... honestly, I think a lot of these guys are unlucky in love and don't want to work on themselves. So they make a simple excuse based on some trait they think they don't have that women want and say "women only care about ___" and blame women. Where does it get them?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:14 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,748,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Run away. Run far, run fast.
Who are you talking to? OP?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImShmacked View Post
Who are you talking to? OP?
No, you. Run from the OP.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,164,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Wow those two graphs are worth their own thread.
Indeed

Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,748,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
No, you. Run from the OP.

Oh ok Not sure why, but thanks for the warning haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships