Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,753,593 times

Advertisements

Based on a lot of the comments in this thread, I guess it's a miracle that half the people I see every day at the grocery store, the gas station, the drug store, the department store, the DMV, etc are married or partnered or otherwise non-single.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,529,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am enjoying your posts more and more.

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words and enjoy opportunities to be helpful and to add levity - even better when I can do both at the same time.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,075,799 times
Crazy talk. They're all over the place.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yeah, me too. Should we start our own bow wow club?

Only if the two of you are "long-term untaken". (analogous to the concept of long-term unemployed)

Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM

102,272 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What matters is not feeling embarrassed amongst one’s male friends, and not having to backpedal and make excuses that one’s female partner is, in fact, not one’s girlfriend, but some casual associate.
If that's an issue, one should get new friends. And if one is so lame as to not stand up for one's choice in mates, and for one's mate, but feels the need for subterfuge, one has a lot of maturing to do, and probably shouldn't be inflicting oneself on women.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,745,235 times
I'm single (I'm joking).

There are single women everywhere. You just have no idea where to find them!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If that's an issue, one should get new friends. And if one is so lame as to not stand up for one's choice in mates, and for one's mate, but feels the need for subterfuge, one has a lot of maturing to do, and probably shouldn't be inflicting oneself on women.

I think the opinions of one's friends are often taken by the individual as an indicator of the individual's worth or market value, nobody wants to see themselves as deficient or defective.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImShmacked View Post
I'm single (I'm joking).

There are single women everywhere. You just have no idea where to find them!

There ought to be a reliable indicator but there isn't; the presence, absence, and location of rings are often employed as false signals.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,817,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datxcali View Post
It's funny. I have a female friend at work that says the same thing. She always goes on and on about how personality matters. Yet, the only guys she dates are tall and good looking. Never varies.

Most women are like this, in my experience. This is why I tell men to take advice from women with a grain of salt. Women say the politically correct thing, but act as I've said.

For women (just like men), the guy has to be very good looking just to get his foot in the door. Then he must have the personality traits the woman wants. This was echoed by a female poster earlier in this thread.
I am not saying to take what women say... I am saying to read articles about things that women find attractive. It's not all about looks for all women. Sure there are women who go for looks first... just like there are some women where looks are further down the line of importance. Same with men, there are men out there who only care about hot women... just because some man I know only dates hot blondes doesn't mean all men think just like him. People are different in what they find attractive in a potential mate. But I am saying overall, looks aren't as important as some guys here think.

I think women are more critical about looks overall (in both themselves and men), but that doesn't mean it's as big a factor. I know I've cited it before, but there was an OK Cupid where women said 80% of the men were below average on looks... but they were messaging them anyway. So logically it's not always about looks. Men said more women were good looking, but most of the messages men sent were only to the best looking women.

I can't find the actual survey now (and I need to cook dinner). But here is a blog post about it and why men really shouldn't worry so much about their looks.

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends

Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am not saying to take what women say... I am saying to read articles about things that women find attractive. It's not all about looks for all women. Sure there are women who go for looks first... just like there are some women where looks are further down the line of importance. Same with men, there are men out there who only care about hot women... just because some man I know only dates hot blondes doesn't mean all men think just like him. People are different in what they find attractive in a potential mate. But I am saying overall, looks aren't as important as some guys here think.

I think women are more critical about looks overall (in both themselves and men), but that doesn't mean it's as big a factor. I know I've cited it before, but there was an OK Cupid where women said 80% of the men were below average on looks... but they were messaging them anyway. So logically it's not always about looks. Men said more women were good looking, but most of the messages men sent were only to the best looking women.

I can't find the actual survey now (and I need to cook dinner). But here is a blog post about it and why men really shouldn't worry so much about their looks.

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends

Wow those two graphs are worth their own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships