Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,094,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I'm interested to hear about what people's perceptions of stay-at-home spouses (no children) are.

This is a spouse who stays at home (when there are no children), while the other spouse works, either because there is no financial need for that person to work or because he or she doesn't want to.

For instance, take a newly married, young couple where the husband is a corporate lawyer and the wife was a preschool teacher. Because the wife makes in a day what the husband makes in 15 minutes, the wife decides to quit her job and stay home, even though they don't plan to have kids for many years. The wife just doesn't think it's worth her time to work given that the husband's salary supports them both well.

Or, perhaps the stay-at-home spouse never found a career/job passion and instead would rather just to what he or she feels like doing, whether it's working on hobbies all day, reading, or whatever.

Is the stay-at-home spouse considered lazy? If there is no financial need for them to work, should they do so anyway? Or is contributing in some way to society acceptable (i.e. volunteer work). Must the stay-at-home spouse contribute in an equal way to the home through chores? If so, how can you judge what an acceptable contribution would be? Or do you think it's okay for the stay-at-home spouse to just do whatever he or she wants, and have fun, while the other spouse is working.

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on this.

I say lazy...no ambition...someone who dont value themselves..LAZY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I say lazy...no ambition...someone who dont value themselves..LAZY
Thats quite a generalization, read my post just before yours and then tell me how lazy I am...

My day today ...

6.30 - alarm goes off.
Its 9am and I have had breakfast with husband loaded both the dishwasher and washing machine, changed the sheets on the bed, made up the spare room for our weekends guests and put together a shopping list for the next 3 days.
I've chatted online with some people doing the same degree as I am about an assignment due in June. I'll skype my mum before I hoover the house and do the ironing.

I'll be going to the supermarket before lunch and have lunch at home.

This afternoon I'll be making thai green curry and a beef red curry for dinner tomorrow. I'm making chilli for dinner tonight.

I need to do some research online for my assignment and also for an upcoming trip to California as we want to pre book some hotel rooms for our drive and I need to arrange the car hire. I need to get some train tickets bought for a trip to Europe in August as they have just become available on the internet.
Husband will come home at around 6pm, we will eat around 7pm and then watch a movie....

are all SAHS still lazy ??

Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
Sometimes a stay-at-home wife has no choice, perhaps because of disability. Maybe the OP didn't think of that possibility. For many years, we were in that situation, but even then, she did as much as she could to take care of the house and garden - and me. A year ago, an effective treatment for her condition was found, and she's been recovering, volunteering, and returning to school for a new career. She is one of the most motivated and least lazy or self-indulgent people I know, so I don't think you can easily generalize about people who do stay home for whatever reason. Sure, some are lazy, but many have other reasons.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
Thats quite a generalization, read my post just before yours and then tell me how lazy I am...

My day today ...

6.30 - alarm goes off.
Its 9am and I have had breakfast with husband loaded both the dishwasher and washing machine, changed the sheets on the bed, made up the spare room for our weekends guests and put together a shopping list for the next 3 days.
I've chatted online with some people doing the same degree as I am about an assignment due in June. I'll skype my mum before I hoover the house and do the ironing.

This afternoon I'll be making thai green curry and a beef red curry for dinner tomorrow. I'm making chilli for dinner tonight.

I need to do some research online for my assignment and also for an upcoming trip to California as we want to pre book some hotel rooms for our drive and I need to arrange the car hire. I need to get some train tickets bought for a trip to Europe in August as they have just become available on the internet.
Husband will come home at around 6pm, we will eat around 7pm and then watch a movie....

Yes...but if thats what you prefer for your life..thats your business
But yes I do say lazy..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Sometimes a stay-at-home wife has no choice, perhaps because of disability. Maybe the OP didn't think of that possibility. For many years, we were in that situation, but even then, she did as much as she could to take care of the house and garden - and me. A year ago, an effective treatment for her condition was found, and she's been recovering, volunteering, and returning to school for a new career. She is one of the most motivated and least lazy or self-indulgent people I know, so I don't think you can easily generalize about people who do stay home for whatever reason. Sure, some are lazy, but many have other reasons.

I see the difference..but when a woman don't work and she is able to and she has no kids holding her back and her excuse is because my husband works..I don't get..too many women are dependant on their husbands..with the divorce rate so high you think they would want to have some job skills..
But if its a medical condition now thats a different story.

I am a big supporter of woman in the work force..We need to step up and stop acting like its a mans job to support us, and start doing for ourselves too..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post

My day today ...

6.30 - alarm goes off.

Frankly, this doesn't sound like a very taxing schedule, Swiss.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It's not taxing but it's not lazy either. She is cleaning the house, cooking dinners and organizing their lives. AND that's the arrangement her and her husband are happy with.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM

538 posts, read 1,522,575 times
To each their own.

I know two stay-at-home-spouses, no kids. They both sit around and email me all day and whine about how bored they are and how their husbands have to work seven days a week, 12-hour days to pay for their expensive habits. I find it hilarious.

Then there is my mother in law who was a stay at home spouse once the kids moved out. She was so busy keeping the house together that she was working 7 days a week, 24-hour days for decades.

The second example is how I think of a SAHS even though I personally know more people of the first example. Heh.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
She does household chores, homework, grocery shopping, cooking, and trip planning. Sounds like a pretty full schedule.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM

538 posts, read 1,522,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
It's not taxing but it's not lazy either. She is cleaning the house, cooking dinners and organizing their lives. AND that's the arrangement her and her husband are happy with.
I was going to say the same thing, but not as nicely to the skeptic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships