Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

Maintaining a household can certainly be a full time job. To keep a home properly clean it is more than just dusting and vacuuming. If anyone in the house has asthma or severe allergies house cleaning is a big ongoing process. A lot of homes appear to be clean but it is mostly surface. If you like real food cooked from fresh ingredients you go to the store or market more often and cooking takes longer. There are errands, yard work, laundry, home and car maintenance, pet care, etc. If the SAH person takes care of everything, the working person doesn't have to worry about any of that, and it is a full time job. Most working people just don't go to extra lengths to do everything that could be done because they do not have the time and are too tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maintaining a household can certainly be a full time job. To keep a home properly clean it is more than just dusting and vacuuming. If anyone in the house has asthma or severe allergies house cleaning is a big ongoing process. A lot of homes appear to be clean but it is mostly surface. If you like real food cooked from fresh ingredients you go to the store or market more often and cooking takes longer. There are errands, yard work, laundry, home and car maintenance, pet care, etc. If the SAH person takes care of everything, the working person doesn't have to worry about any of that, and it is a full time job. Most working people just don't go to extra lengths to do everything that could be done because they do not have the time and are too tired.
I absolutely agree. My husband and I have bad allergies, and I have to vacuum very often. Also, we do prefer food from fresh ingredients, so it usually takes me longer to cook than other people. Granted, if I was working, I probably wouldn't have the time and energy to cook the way I do now, clean etc., but would probably try to cut corners and use pre-made stuff etc. I completely agree with everything you wrote.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,407,146 times
In one way I wouldnt mind being one, but reality is in these days, you really need 2 incomes to live at all. It has its upsides and downsides. You bringing in no income means you always have to ask for money to go do or buy something, I dont like that idea. In some ways its almost like the other person has the upper hand too.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
In one way I wouldnt mind being one, but reality is in these days, you really need 2 incomes to live at all. It has its upsides and downsides. You bringing in no income means you always have to ask for money to go do or buy something, I dont like that idea. In some ways its almost like the other person has the upper hand too.
That is not a partnership though. I don't know any SAH spouses who have to ask for money. My mother certainly would never have gone for that. It all goes into the joint account.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post

Hi 115db,

It depends on whom you marry.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 PM

491 posts, read 749,386 times
Quote:

So what else do you do you need to do to clean a house. Houses do not get that dirty that fast. All those things you mention errands yard work laundry pet care are easy things to do that you can do within an hour each. Whats so hard about grocety shopping? I have done it before all it is walking around finding stuff. There are some lazy people in this world

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM

No one said these things were hard, just time consuming. You have no way of assessing how long a task takes for everyone because you don't have enough information. A lot of people where I live commute over 1 hr each way and have big homes and acreage. Stores are 10 miles away. Going anywhere is a big deal, and it's a good idea to have a truck. My next door neighbor is always outside raking, mowing, shoveling, cleaning the pool, etc. She created a garden with paths and fountains and grows herbs for gourmet cooking. So some people like being Martha Stewart and making an awesome home. I wouldn't call that lazy.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Plus if you clean everyday it is not going to take that long to clean it the next day. It may take at most 4 or 5 hours which still leaves you a lot of the day left.
Well yes, that is if others in the household actually cooperated with you and didn't undo all you did. "Oh honey you worked so hard today, let me empty the bagless vacuum for you. See? I can do things too. Ooops!!! Oh dear, all that dust and dirt is all over the carpet again. Yuck. I got to go wash my hands, honey, dear, can you just vacuum that up for me?"

Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,860 times
Quote:
You have no way of assessing how long a task takes for everyone because you don't have enough information.
Yup, I have gotten yelled at for not having the laundry done on time. I use a laundromat only because our apartment doesn't have a washer and dryer. So the amount of laundry and availability of washers and dryers and sorting out which clothes "MUST NOT" be dried will determine how long it takes.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:08 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Well yes, that is if others in the household actually cooperated with you and didn't undo all you did.
Can I get an Amen!
Im not a SAHS, but I have 2 grown kids living me due to the economy and grandkids over on the weekend. It is constant picking up, washing dishes, sweeping up dirt tracked in, washing closthes. I can clean a room, go pee and come back and you cant tell I cleaned a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships