Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If your town is restrictive and dry, move. If your state is declining and bankrupt, move. If you career is stultifying and bland, retrain. If your job is dead-end, quit. If your husband is a boor, a drunkard or an egotistical blowhard, divorce him.
Yes, it is called seizing control of your life and making sure you do what you need to do in order to make the most of it.

Quote:
Why this drive, this stridency? Whatever happened to acquiescence, duty, obedience, modesty?
We realized that these were not traits to be admired, but merely restrictive traits foisted upon us by those in power politically and religion to tame us and convince us to accept our lots in life. They (these traits) were held in high regard, or we were told to hold them in high regard, to make us subservient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
I would not necessarily embrace the Pauline nostrum, that slaves should be obedient to their masters, venerating the Providence that for inscrutable purposes placed them in chains. Instead I enjoin caution in those contemplating throwing off those chains. Too often, liberation of one kind leads only to enslavement of another kind. Instead of feeling grateful for our chains, or somehow smiling at a universe that enslaved us, we can mutter curses under our breath - and still go about in slavery.

And not to launch any personal attacks - direct or glancing - but I find it odd that quite often, the persons who most celebrate the culture of freedom-to-fail, are not highly-compensated professionals, or business leaders, heads of idyllic families, porcine plutocrats, rags-to-riches success stories or community pillars. They're not the ones who gambled and struck riches. Instead they're still struggling, yet somehow convinced that if they struggle one bit more, their due reward will be forthcoming.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
I would not necessarily embrace the Pauline nostrum, that slaves should be obedient to their masters, venerating the Providence that for inscrutable purposes placed them in chains. Instead I enjoin caution in those contemplating throwing off those chains. Too often, liberation of one kind leads only to enslavement of another kind. Instead of feeling grateful for our chains, or somehow smiling at a universe that enslaved us, we can mutter curses under our breath - and still go about in slavery.

Cue Ben Franklin quote on on freedom and security... Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

F a chain.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:09 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabasis X View Post
Women are roughly half of this worlds population and there are billions of them. You can meet them in any place there are people. Streets, parks, elevators, work, bar, club, shopping mall, etc etc. There is unlimited amount of places where women are, and women are everywhere you go. If you see one that you find attractive, come up and introduce yourself in a friendly, non-threatening manner. Bam, that's all it takes.
This is pretty much it, OP. But the catch is that in order to meet the women that are all around you, you have to actually speak to them. That's a hurdle some men can't overcome. Hopefully, you're not one of those men.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:11 PM

286 posts, read 305,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I've never been to Phoenix, but PDX is both cool and cheap from what I've seen. Relative to what I'm used to anyway.

I was really commenting on the small town thing. There is no reason to stay there.
Having lived both places, the cost of living, while not stratospheric, is appreciably higher than Phoenix. Mainly driven by the higher property taxes (which also effect rents) and high housing prices (that usually get you older, craptastic homes). Combine that with reltive lower wages in scarce, higher contested-for professional jobs, and just forget it. I looked for work for four-and-a-half years and said, "Eff it, I'm out." PDX'ers like to sell the place on low COL, but much like their transit system being great, it's a lie. NYC has good transit. PDX is a joke.

I'm am industrial designer by trade. It's not that there's not jobs in other metros (some more than others), it's a hotly contested field, probably only 10% - 20% of us who get a degree in it ever getting a job. It took me until I was 35 to land a position here in Phoenix. I'm just now building my career, maybe in a few years I'll have more professional clout to be migratory. For now, my romantic life has to be resolved here in AZ... unless someone here has any brilliant ideas.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:16 PM

286 posts, read 305,829 times
Quote:

And not to launch any personal attacks - direct or glancing - but I find it odd that quite often, the persons who most celebrate the culture of freedom-to-fail, are not highly-compensated professionals, or business leaders, heads of idyllic families, porcine plutocrats, rags-to-riches success stories or community pillars. They're not the ones who gambled and struck riches. Instead they're still struggling, yet somehow convinced that if they struggle one bit more, their due reward will be forthcoming.
Nice. Unfortunately, you're probably wasting keystrokes of pragmatism. Advice forums tend to attract the highest order representatives of America's 'Little Engine That Could' ethos.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:09 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know. I don't earn much at all, but I was still able to enjoy San Francisco and I enjoy Boston. People can make it work. People keep harping on the economy, but if you're mobile there are lots of jobs out there. Finding qualified candidates is the problem.

I've never been to Phoenix, but PDX is both cool and cheap from what I've seen. Relative to what I'm used to anyway.

I was really commenting on the small town thing. There is no reason to stay there.
FWIW, I live in Phoenix, and can confirm that it's plenty cheap. "Cool" is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,393,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Anywhere, your mind is your limitation
Sounds kinda cheesy, but it's the truth.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:41 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
"Cool" is in the eye of the beholder.
It is, very much. In my eye, "cool" is NOT men with long hair, women with pierced noses, teenagers dressed in all-black, elderly people in Birkenstock sandals and hemp sweaters. Cool is affluent secular child-free people taking turns gathering at each others' country estates, discussing John Dryden's vs. Robert Fitzgerald's translations of Virgil's Aeneid, or how to hedge against the Euro's interminable decline while still maintaining exposure to European equities.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
Quote:
It is, very much. In my eye, "cool" is NOT men with long hair, women with pierced noses, teenagers dressed in all-black, elderly people in Birkenstock sandals and hemp sweaters. Cool is affluent secular child-free people taking turns gathering at each others' country estates, discussing John Dryden's vs. Robert Fitzgerald's translations of Virgil's Aeneid, or how to hedge against the Euro's interminable decline while still maintaining exposure to European equities.
Your cool sounds obnoxiously pretentious and incredibly boring. Each to their own I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships