Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
ok, So what should the minimum age be for someone our age to be involved with, in your estimation? If you were born in 76 we're two years apart. Is is ((x/2 )+ 7)? So someone who is 25, that's ok, but 18 is not? I think it is a strange distinction. If you like them, and they like you, and no one is taking advantage of anyone (maturity level is good etc.), I don't see a problem.

What would you do if you found that you had romantic feelings for someone who happened to be 18? Be disgusted with yourself?
I wouldn't have romantic feelings for someone who happened to be 18. Sorry.

Honestly, I'm married so I'm not interested in anyone besides my husband - but at my age, I can't see myself being romantically interested in anyone who isn't fairly close to me in age. I don't have strict limitations. I don't think that ruling out someone who is 20 years younger than me is a strict limitation or a strange distinction.

I'm sorry that this is so baffling to you. I consider 18 year olds to be children. I know a lot of them. A lot of my neighbors have kids that are around 18. To me, they are children. I have no idea why it is so important to you to try to get me to find 18 year olds attractive in a sexual way.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
No, an exercise in equality would be women agreeing to give up their privilege of being the "pursued" as a default.
This wouldn't be up to the women. It's not the women that would have to stop being pursued. That's like asking worms to stop being prey to birds.

And in my 3 main relationships, we pursued each other. It's not that rare.

Quote:
And you can go sell that stuff about a "wage gap" elsewhere. Its been debunked repeatedly. When adjusted for the choices that individual women make in the job market....any gaps in pay disappear.
The wage gap is far more complicated than you making it out to be - and it is indeed an issue. But that's for a different forum.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:29 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I have no idea why it is so important to you to try to get me to find 18 year olds attractive in a sexual way.
Oh well now you changed it. Now you specifically said "in a sexual way". That makes it even harder to understand. When you were talking about being in relationships, that was different, because there you want some "compatibility". Most of the people I find attractive in a sexual way are not attractive to me in a romantic way. But if you're just talking about liking someone in a strictly "sexual way", 18 shouldn't be a problem at all. You know that men peak at 18 right? (or in that age group anyway.) Guys our age are "over the hill"! lol.

Anyway, it's not REALLY important to me. It's just rhetoric on a discussion forum. I guess what is important to me is that I'm disappointed that someone would think there is something wrong with being in love with someone who happens to be younger. Sure there are specific cases where someone might be taken advantage of, but as a general rule I don't see a problem. Age is just a number. If a woman is 18 and is with someone who's 40, and they love each other and they're happy and he's not taking advantage of her then I support it.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
You're both way off topic anyway.

The topic being (as usual) that women have it easier than men.

LOL.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

LOL.
I think attractive, outgoing, extroverted people have it easiest, regardless of gender. Unfortunately I am none of those things. Hence I'm 37 and have never been in a relationship.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Quote:
I think attractive, outgoing, extroverted people have it easiest, regardless of gender. Unfortunately I am none of those things. Hence I'm 37 and have never been in a relationship.
awww you must be hanging out in the wrong places. Find some Bad Women.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,658 times
Oh please, no one has it easier. Last I checked, dating requires equal effort to grow. And as a woman I will say its difficult getting a decent mans attention without looking desperate and fearing being physically ravaged by someones invasive body part then tossed like a used tampon. Guys dont get violated like this by women.

And we are the ones left with kids. If we are single mothers, 90% of guys run the other way.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:39 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,857 times
Quote:
Oh well now you changed it. Now you specifically said "in a sexual way". That makes it even harder to understand. When you were talking about being in relationships, that was different, because there you want some "compatibility". Most of the people I find attractive in a sexual way are not attractive to me in a romantic way. But if you're just talking about liking someone in a strictly "sexual way", 18 shouldn't be a problem at all. You know that men peak at 18 right? (or in that age group anyway.) Guys our age are "over the hill"! lol.

Anyway, it's not REALLY important to me. It's just rhetoric on a discussion forum. I guess what is important to me is that I'm disappointed that someone would think there is something wrong with being in love with someone who happens to be younger. Sure there are specific cases where someone might be taken advantage of, but as a general rule I don't see a problem. Age is just a number. If a woman is 18 and is with someone who's 40, and they love each other and they're happy and he's not taking advantage of her then I support it.
Well, that is debatable. I personally feel that an 18 year old is being taken advantage of if they are dating someone 40, even if they believe they are "in love" and they are well past the age of legal consent.

18-25 is considered "late adolescence" by researchers these days, as the frontal cortex is not yet fully developed (decision making and judgement) until the mid 20s.

Laws made years ago regarding certain rights of passages need to be updated, IMO. The brain isn't fully mature at 16, when children are allowed to drive, nor at 18, when children are allowed to vote, nor at 21, when children are allowed to drink, but closer to 25, when we are allowed to rent a car.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I would never be interested in an 18 year old for sex or a relationship. I don't care what other people do. Age is not just a number to me. I'm not judging other people - I'm stating my own opinions about my own life.

For the love of god - let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

LOL.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Well, that is debatable. I personally feel that an 18 year old is being taken advantage of if they are dating someone 40, even if they believe they are "in love" and they are well past the age of legal consent.
Automatically? Surely there are mature 18 year olds who would not be taken advantage of in such a case.

Quote:
18-25 is considered "late adolescence" by researchers these days, as the frontal cortex is not yet fully developed (decision making and judgement) until the mid 20s.
Eh, I've heard that theory before. In actual practice, though, there are many 18 year olds who are more experienced and mature than most 25 year olds.

For example, an 18 year old who has been on a deployment in combat has more life experience than a 25 year old who never served. In such a case, I would have more in common with the 18 year old.

Quote:
Laws made years ago regarding certain rights of passages need to be updated, IMO. The brain isn't fully mature at 16, when children are allowed to drive, nor at 18, when children are allowed to vote, nor at 21, when children are allowed to drink, but closer to 25, when we are allowed to rent a car.
Geez so the age of consent should be 25?? You must be insane.

Again I say it depends on the person. Age is just a number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships