Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I guess. To me if you have the maturity to identify an enemy who must be killed, and kill them with a rifle or knife, you have achieved some level of maturity. I would certainly have more in common with an 18 year old who had done that than I would with a 40 year old who had lived a sheltered life on US soil.
Well, considering that you have also never had a relationship, you might have more in common with an 18 year old than with someone your own age.

What are you looking for? Our permission to be attracted to 18 year olds? Go ahead. It doesn't affect my life whatsoever. But you are never going to convince me that an 18 year old is anything but an 18 year old - and I would never have anything to do with an 18 year old at my age.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:10 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Well, considering that you have also never had a relationship, you might have more in common with an 18 year old than with someone your own age.
Uh, no, it is because she has placed her life in danger in the service of her country. She has taken a life in order to protect Americans. She has experienced the real world. Someone our age who lived a sheltered life on US soil is going to be a little separated from me emotionally; I have already encountered that several times.

Quote:
What are you looking for? Our permission to be attracted to 18 year olds? Go ahead.
I already have permission to have sex with an 18 year old under the laws of the state of California, given that I have her consent.

So far I have never had romantic feelings for someone who happens to be 18, but it could happen. Sexual feelings, yes, many times. But none of the people for whom I had romantic feelings were 18. One was younger (I was younger too), the others were older than 18. But that's not a choice I made. It just so happened that in the natural course of my life, I never happened to feel romantic love for someone who happened to be 18.

If I did, it wouldn't be immoral.

Quote:
It doesn't affect my life whatsoever. But you are never going to convince me that an 18 year old is anything but an 18 year old - and I would never have anything to do with an 18 year old at my age.
We're about the same age, and it is disappointing that you feel you must judge others negatively for natural feelings about adults. But suit yourself. It doesn't affect either of our lives, we're just talking on a discussion forum.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Uh, no, it is because she has placed her life in danger in the service of her country. She has taken a life in order to protect Americans. She has experienced the real world. Someone our age who lived a sheltered life on US soil is going to be a little separated from me emotionally; I have already encountered that several times.

I already have permission to have sex with an 18 year old under the laws of the state of California, given that I have her consent.

So far I have never had romantic feelings for someone who happens to be 18, but it could happen. Sexual feelings, yes, many times. But none of the people for whom I had romantic feelings were 18. One was younger (I was younger too), the others were older than 18. But that's not a choice I made. It just so happened that in the natural course of my life, I never happened to feel romantic love for someone who happened to be 18.

If I did, it wouldn't be immoral.

We're about the same age, and it is disappointing that you feel you must judge others negatively for natural feelings about adults. But suit yourself. It doesn't affect either of our lives, we're just talking on a discussion forum.
How am I judging others negatively? I'm not judging anyone at all. I am simply saying that I view 18 years olds as children and would not have sex with them or a relationship with them. For the life of me, I can't understand what could possibly disappoint you about the fact that I'm not attracted to 18 year olds.

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 02-22-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Quote:
One of the torpedomen asked me if I would lick his wife's feet while he committed sodomy with her. (I'm not sure how graphic we can be on city-data lol.)

I said no only because I hadn't even met his wife and therefore felt like it wouldn't be meaningful. She was hot though. They were in their early 20s.
Oh LOL!!!!

meaningful foot licking!!!

Old 02-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Serving CAN speed up someone's maturity, but it is not some magical thing that happens just because one is in the military. Generally speaking, military service is good for a profound number of people who serve even just 4 years. But the maturity piece is based on the individual and how they react to the environment in which they find themselves.
Fair enough, I'll agree with that.

The point is, age is just a number, in my opinion. It comes down to the individual and their experiences and their circumstances. If one woman is 18, but she is a US Marine and she just came back from being in a Female Engagement Team in Afghanistan in which she had to kill a terrorist with a knife, and the other woman is 40, but she has lived a sheltered life on US soil and has never been in any kind of danger, I would have more in common with the 18 year old and would probably feel closer to her emotionally.

Quote:
As for NCIS, I've met many and worked with them over the years. I've never seen a complete episode of that show or any of its spin offs, but I can say from experience the real NCIS is nowhere near as cool as the NCIS from those shows!
lol I know right. That computer girl on NCIS LA is hot though. She looks underage but she's actually 30. Actually the new blond girl on NCIS who replaced Zeeva looks pretty young but is in her 30s too. I hope I'm even 50% as cool as Gibbs when I'm his age. I have to start working on Rules so I can identify ones that apply to whatever random circumstance I find myself in. ;-)

Is that true of you as well iknowftbll? Don't mess with your coffee if I want to live? lol that's Gibbs rule #1 I think. Don't mess with a Marine's coffee if you want to live. Something like that.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Oh LOL!!!!

meaningful foot licking!!!

lol....he said he wanted to convince her to let another man into bed, because he figured if he could do that, she would be more willing to invite another woman into bed with them.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Quote:
lol....he said he wanted to convince her to let another man into bed, because he figured if he could do that, she would be more willing to invite another woman into bed with them.
well now....

the games people play.

They're probably still together.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:01 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Fair enough, I'll agree with that.

The point is, age is just a number, in my opinion. It comes down to the individual and their experiences and their circumstances. If one woman is 18, but she is a US Marine and she just came back from being in a Female Engagement Team in Afghanistan in which she had to kill a terrorist with a knife, and the other woman is 40, but she has lived a sheltered life on US soil and has never been in any kind of danger, I would have more in common with the 18 year old and would probably feel closer to her emotionally.
First, and for the benefit of those who may not know what a female engagement team is, the odds an 18 year old service member serving on such a team would ever need to kill an enemy with a knife are microscopic. While all U.S. troops in a place like Afghanistan are "combatants" not all serve a "combat mission." There is virtually no limit to the potential missions of a female engagement team, but generally the core purpose it serves is to build trust of the female populations in areas of the world where women are still..."protected" by cultural traditions.

Secondly, recognize your claim is your perspective. Others may share it as well, completely by chance. I am 34 years old. I'm also married, but for the sake of hypotheticals, if I had to choose between an 18 year old or 40 year old woman, it wouldn't be a contest. There are 34 year olds out there who have 18 year old daughters. The age difference alone renders her in a completely different place in life than I am, and that is enough to overcome anything else we may have in common. Likewise being closer in age to a 40 year old likely means she and I would have a similar life outlook and that alone would probably result in greater compatibility. In my case it's a non-starter, but there's my opinion FWIW.

Quote:
lol I know right. That computer girl on NCIS LA is hot though. She looks underage but she's actually 30. Actually the new blond girl on NCIS who replaced Zeeva looks pretty young but is in her 30s too. I hope I'm even 50% as cool as Gibbs when I'm his age. I have to start working on Rules so I can identify ones that apply to whatever random circumstance I find myself in. ;-)

Is that true of you as well iknowftbll? Don't mess with your coffee if I want to live? lol that's Gibbs rule #1 I think. Don't mess with a Marine's coffee if you want to live. Something like that.
Like I said, I've never watched a complete episode of that show. I'm assuming Gibbs is the main character? At any rate, I am a pretty serious coffee drinker. At our position in Afghanistan we got rocketed one morning while I was making coffee. I finished making coffee before gearing up and heading to the wire.

Anyway...I believe we're off topic again.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
First, and for the benefit of those who may not know what a female engagement team is, the odds an 18 year old service member serving on such a team would ever need to kill an enemy with a knife are microscopic.
Yeah, I know. I was just trying to think of an example of a female Marine that would be "part of the action". On submarines we don't have that distinction; if you're on the boat you're in the action, if there is any. They have female officers on submarines now which means that females are in a combat role on submarines. I was going to say fighter pilot, but fighter pilots are all officers so you wouldn't have one that's 18 because you have to get a college degree to be an officer; she would be like 22 (which is still below dewdroplet's idea of age of consent). But you see what I mean, right?

Helicopter gunner might be a good example. I think the USMC actually calls that a crew chief. This link has video that shows a female gunner's POV as she killed bad guys from a helicopter. Edit: this video is actually Army stuff but it still makes my point.

Female Apache Gunner Kills Enemy | Military.com

It's not ground combat but she's definitely engaged in combat operations. Her life is in danger. She could be killed by a shoulder fired rocket launcher, etc. From what I can see, you can be a USMC crew chief as a private, in theory:

MOS 6174 - Helicopter Crew Chief, UH-1

So I guess if this female gunner who just killed bad guys is 18, dewdroplet would say she is still a child. To me that isn't a child. That's a woman.

Actually even if they never engage the enemy in their FET unit, they're still in the real world. They're in a situation where they could be shot, ambushed, etc. They wear bullet resistant vests and carry automatic rifles like the male Marines do.

Quote:
There are 34 year olds out there who have 18 year old daughters. The age difference alone renders her in a completely different place in life than I am, and that is enough to overcome anything else we may have in common. Likewise being closer in age to a 40 year old likely means she and I would have a similar life outlook and that alone would probably result in greater compatibility. In my case it's a non-starter, but there's my opinion FWIW.
Yeah. See in the example I gave where the 18 year old has seen the real world and the 40 year old hasn't, I would feel closer to the 18 year old. But it all depends on the 18 year old and the 40 year old...what their life experiences are, what their place in life is etc. Ultimately it is an emotional feeling so it isn't subject to logic and reason. It's just however you feel about each other.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
And ultimately you've never had a relationship so all of this is mere speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships