Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,613,035 times

Advertisements

Probably the more vulgar way of saying fbw...F**k Buddy.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What are FBs? What is the distinction from FWBs?

Just what they say. A F Buddy is (FB) someone who isn't really a friend. It's someone you hang out with just to have sex. Maybe some drinks, then you go bang. When the benefits are over, they cease being someone you talk to or hang out with.

A FWB (friends with benefits) is someone that is really a friend. Even when you're no longer having sex (for whatever reason) you still hang out and do stuff. There is a caring for them. The benefits part is in addition to the friendship and not the basis for it.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,172 times
Quote:
My understanding is this...

F*** buddies. They're people who strictly hook up with with absolute no strings attached. You go over for sex and leave immediately after the deed is done.

FWBs are people who you sleep with, but also enjoy spending time together doing other things. But the agreement is usually that you keep it pretty casual and if it starts getting serious between either of the parties, you will take a break from the arrangement or completely break it off altogether.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 PM

914 posts, read 766,341 times
Quote:

FWB are actual friends who connect on a platonic level... but still have sex. Their emotional connection is deeper for each other because they are truly friends.

FB is a bang, a hookup, or someone you know well but only sleep with and have no other involvement with outside of the bedroom

Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,796,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Wait, school and work (which people pretty much all people are youths and adults (pre senior years)) aren't indicative of society as a whole? People are either at school, or working (or both), so yeah, I'd say they are great indicators.
Everyone sleeps at some point, too, but you can't use that as an indicator of how our lives are.

In my convention days (who are we kidding? In my YOUNGER convention days), I'd walk around and see like a 100:1 male:female ratio and think "where the hell are all the women?". Obviously they're somewhere, doing something, but they weren't around me. Then I'd attend something else (I think I had this epiphany at a dance class) and think "oh! HERE'S where all the women are!".

The point is, at any given time, when you're looking at a group of people (whether they're at work, school, or wherever), there are a LOT of people someplace else. Maybe they're doing the same thing, maybe they're not. I simply think that any view of that sort isn't a strong indicator. It certainly feels that way to us, of course.

Quote:
I think you got those mixed up, no? FWBs are very common. Straight FBs are pretty uncommon. People don't keep sleeping with people they don't like hanging out with. They're not really interchangeable, IMO.
Edit: Deleted to clarify in a later post.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Quote:
You're not ugly; you're average. With the right personality and attitude, average can be very cute. Just sayin'.
You might be right I don't know. It is definitely true that when the financial and logistical issues are resolved, I will be generally happier. That might make it easier to transition from friends to lovers with someone. Right now it's hard to be positive. I'm trying, it's hard though.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Just what they say. A F Buddy is (FB) someone who isn't really a friend. It's someone you hang out with just to have sex. Maybe some drinks, then you go bang. When the benefits are over, they cease being someone you talk to or hang out with.

A FWB (friends with benefits) is someone that is really a friend. Even when you're no longer having sex (for whatever reason) you still hang out and do stuff. There is a caring for them. The benefits part is in addition to the friendship and not the basis for it.
OK, disregard my previous post. I stick by what I wrote....using your post, I'd argue that FB are common and FWB are not (and, as mentioned, I call them both FWB)

Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
The premise of the article is flawed.

As someone that dated when they were in their early 20's the gals held the power.

When I dated around age 40....not so....probably even tilted in the guys favor a little bit and it just gets more and more in the guys favor from that age up.

Just a *general* observation true in many but not all cases.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:24 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I wrote it how I meant it, in an attempt to appeal to the views of this demographic. But the definition of FWB that I get around here usually seems to imply a very deep friendship. Maybe I'm wrong in interpreting how people here view them.
To me that's what it would mean. Although a lot of people interpret FWB to mean "person you have NSA sex with on a regular basis, and don't interact with them much if all, apart from the sex." :-O

So I wouldn't want an FWB if that was all it was. However I would be very interested in having a close female friend with whom I occasionally had sex. To me that's a relationship, in some sense.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The premise of the article is flawed.

As someone that dated when they were in their early 20's the gals held the power.

When I dated around age 40....not so....probably even tilted in the guys favor a little bit and it just gets more and more in the guys favor from that age up.

Just a *general* observation true in many but not all cases.
This has also been my experience, and why life has gotten so awesome between my 20's and today, at 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.