Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 03:57 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Went to a sub shop and picked up some lunch just a little while ago. I'm standing there watching the sandwiches getting made sort doing it assembly line style.

I just couldn't imagine how mind numbingly boring that job would be after a short amount of time. Same goes with cashiers / checkers at the grocery store.

They are good honest jobs I'm not picking on them but I just think it would just be too mindless after awhile, not to mention dealing with the public and standing on your feet in one spot all day.

Kudos to the people doing those jobs and keeping society moving.

I have a thing in my job where I have to read specs and look at product submittal documents and cross reference the two to see if the products submitted is acceptable.

Good lord, that is only about 15% to 20% of the time I have to do that, but damn, that is mind numbingly boring too. I suppose that there's no perfect job. Everything is going to have some drawbacks I guess.
I worked for an inventory listing service. All I did all day was to copy inventory lists from paper to computer. I’d multi-task and think of a creative ways to kill my self… like going into the restroom, knocking myself out with the toilet seat…. and drowning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 12:45 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I live in wine and cheese land.
wee wee...

Old 07-28-2021, 08:12 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
wee wee...
You do… and you’ll clean it up!

Old 07-29-2021, 07:25 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Went to a sub shop and picked up some lunch just a little while ago. I'm standing there watching the sandwiches getting made sort doing it assembly line style.

I just couldn't imagine how mind numbingly boring that job would be after a short amount of time. Same goes with cashiers / checkers at the grocery store.

They are good honest jobs I'm not picking on them but I just think it would just be too mindless after awhile, not to mention dealing with the public and standing on your feet in one spot all day.

Kudos to the people doing those jobs and keeping society moving.

I have a thing in my job where I have to read specs and look at product submittal documents and cross reference the two to see if the products submitted is acceptable.

Good lord, that is only about 15% to 20% of the time I have to do that, but damn, that is mind numbingly boring too. I suppose that there's no perfect job. Everything is going to have some drawbacks I guess.
I run a social service agency that among other things provides some work and training to adults with developmental disabilities. A lot of the work we provide is simple and repetitive, like weighing and packaging or simple assemblies. I watch some the men and women in our program working at jobs they've done for decades in some instances. We rotate people on to different jobs but they eventually rotate back to an old familiar.

I convince myself that these simple tasks are relatively challenging for them to do, and so not as zombifying as I'd find them. But then I convince myself of a lot of things.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I run a social service agency that among other things provides some work and training to adults with developmental disabilities. A lot of the work we provide is simple and repetitive, like weighing and packaging or simple assemblies. I watch some the men and women in our program working at jobs they've done for decades in some instances. We rotate people on to different jobs but they eventually rotate back to an old familiar.

I convince myself that these simple tasks are relatively challenging for them to do, and so not as zombifying as I'd find them. But then I convince myself of a lot of things.
I can say working in grocery, special needs adults can absolutely thrive in those roles. The jobs are steady and it is good practice to help enhance the social skills of those employees. Also, the managers are very protective if a customer even hints towards abusive behavior of the special needs employees. I would just hope that there is someone (yes I work in HR for a grocer) watching to make sure these employees are not being exploited as far as their wages go, based on a few stories over the last couple of years.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:56 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

Kudos to you for doing that kind of work. That's the kind of work that means something. Helping people develop and having an impact on their lives is important for society.

Work matters. It really does, it provides a sense of self, dignity, self-reliance. Every thing and every part adds up to the betterment of society.

You and your agency helping those people with disabilities is noble and commendable.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Kudos to you for doing that kind of work. That's the kind of work that means something. Helping people develop and having an impact on their lives is important for society.

Work matters. It really does, it provides a sense of self, dignity, self-reliance. Every thing and every part adds up to the betterment of society.

You and your agency helping those people with disabilities is noble and commendable.
Thanks Chow. A lot of days and weeks it's a job, but now and then it's a little more than that. I kind of fell into it 40 years ago (in one week) and I'm glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I can say working in grocery, special needs adults can absolutely thrive in those roles. The jobs are steady and it is good practice to help enhance the social skills of those employees. Also, the managers are very protective if a customer even hints towards abusive behavior of the special needs employees. I would just hope that there is someone (yes I work in HR for a grocer) watching to make sure these employees are not being exploited as far as their wages go, based on a few stories over the last couple of years.
People placed in community jobs usually succeed in part because they have a manager or owner in their corner. While wage abuses can happen, when we place people we screen the employer for that sort of thing and we spell out the legal requirements employers need to meet, along with the penalties if they don't. We also make sure the people we place, family members, or group home staff know the person's rights and the phone # for the Dept of Labor and EEOC .

Old 07-31-2021, 06:54 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Here's to another exciting weekend. Fueled by a lack of motivation. I guess the heat zapped the energy. Eh, I did some work on radio antennas. I also started cleaning the garage. Need to motivate a bit more. It is so smoky here, that doesn't help things. It would be fun to head out and explore the hills. But it is dry and too many people.

A little bit of Bush Everything Zen is helping. When I listen to 90s music so do the neighbors.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:05 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Here's to another exciting weekend. Fueled by a lack of motivation. I guess the heat zapped the energy. Eh, I did some work on radio antennas. I also started cleaning the garage. Need to motivate a bit more. It is so smoky here, that doesn't help things. It would be fun to head out and explore the hills. But it is dry and too many people.

A little bit of Bush Everything Zen is helping. When I listen to 90s music so do the neighbors.
Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon, rocking some 90s alternative. Your neighbors are the lucky ones, aren't they?

A local radio station here does a weekly show each Friday called "Slacker Rewind," which plays Gen X classics. The included weekly countdowns always take me back to those college and early Pittsburgh years. Music is the ultimate time machine, followed closely behind by certain scent(s), I think.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:22 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon, rocking some 90s alternative. Your neighbors are the lucky ones, aren't they?

A local radio station here does a weekly show each Friday called "Slacker Rewind," which plays Gen X classics. The included weekly countdowns always take me back to those college and early Pittsburgh years. Music is the ultimate time machine, followed closely behind by certain scent(s), I think.
That is about all I listen to when I listening to satellite radio. That is most of my iTunes collection.

I really need to get out and mow the lawn. Maybe that is some rage against machine…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships