Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 11:23 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
If the store is going to charge $12.50 for regular bacon, they should at least make it look presentable, instead of smashing it into the wire rack holder. LOL

Good grief.

How much does it cost to raise a pig in the back yard? Or don’t we talk about that these days?
We raise our own pigs… a 113kg pig (250 pounds) will last us close to a year…give or take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 08:20 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I’m sorry that your family is going through such trying times. Life really CAN suck. And blow. At the same time even! You know that I’ll keep you & Mrs Chow in my thoughts.
Thanks, but as was mentioned someone always has it hard, much harder in some cases. I'm just whining I guess. I sometimes see those St. Jude commercials with the sick cancer kids and you just wonder how the hell those parents get through each day, now that's some serious hard times.

Anyway, on to happier thoughts.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:29 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I guess my own philosophy is that everyone's got struggles, life will always give us a mixed bag, right? Some might seem like they have no reason to be unhappy, yet they have burdens and pain and even despair within themselves that you can't even see from the outside. /sigh...Robin Williams. I try not to think about who has it harder for what reasons, although sometimes that is hard to do. Just to be kind instead.

Though like in my own situation, I figure that I have more resilience than many people that I have known, that I will be OK even if things are tough, when others maybe don't have the strength or skills or tools to cope as well as I do with tough things of certain kinds. On the one hand, I do think it's healthy not to take my gifts for granted, whatever they might be, to be grateful for whatever I have that helps me. But I have to be careful though, because it's also had me justify taking on responsibility for other people's problems, when I should not have. When it harmed me to do so, and when it only enabled someone else to not take responsibility that they should. "Because I can handle it, and they can't." At some point that becomes kinda BS, or I wake up one day after doing it for years with some person and realize that all this time, I have only been used.

Sometimes I also really have to fight an urge to withdraw from everyone I know, and disappear. I imagine myself alone on the road or something, just...being gone, being alone, no ties, no obligations, no complicated questions about how other people really feel about me or any of it. I've come to realize though, over the course of my relocation, that involved some time alone and a lot of time alone on the road, that the fantasy of this is glamorous and the reality is decidedly not.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:56 AM

I had an invasion of ants to deal with this morning. Teeny tiny ones, they'd found their way in and were after my cat's food. Deployed diatomaceous earth, which has worked before...though the last time, years ago, that I had that problem, I also used Terro baits. Might have to go that route again, but unfortunately this time there isn't really anywhere I could put them in the path of the ants that is not also a spot my cat could get to. I'll have to get creative, if it comes to that.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:38 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I had an invasion of ants to deal with this morning. Teeny tiny ones, they'd found their way in and were after my cat's food. Deployed diatomaceous earth, which has worked before...though the last time, years ago, that I had that problem, I also used Terro baits. Might have to go that route again, but unfortunately this time there isn't really anywhere I could put them in the path of the ants that is not also a spot my cat could get to. I'll have to get creative, if it comes to that.
I’m quickly developing a disdain for the palmetto bug. It seems like these monsters are always out in public and last night right before I left I found one crawling out my apartment hallway. Thankfully, this is one of relatively few issues I have with North Carolina.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:20 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
I am not a fan of bugs of ANY kind, at all (as I am sure most aren't). That is another reason why I enjoyed Oregon so much. I was there for 2 years and didn't see one ant, maybe a couple of spiders, hardly any flies, etc. The only bugs around were snails. No mosquitos, no pincher bugs, none of that mess!

Now I'm back in California and back to the bugs. LOL.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:27 PM

When I lived in Washington, we had loads of spiders. I had to take a broom to the house from time to time, it was that bad.

Colorado was the most bug free place I've ever been. Most pest bugs don't really thrive there. But I did have ants in one apartment, and the management sent out a guy to spray around the building, and he said that there was an ant metropolis under that building and nothing he could do would eliminate them. I tried the more "organic" solutions like cinnamon and bay leaves and whatnot, those things did not work at all. Then I tried the diatomaceous earth and Terro baits, which I was able to put behind a bookshelf where my cat couldn't get them, but in the path the ants were taking around the edge of the wall...and I was really impressed with how well that ended the problem. You can't really use the earth outside, if it gets wet, it's useless, but it's great for indoors. Pet safe, too. Just make sure it's the "food grade" kind. I don't know which of the two things was THE solution, or if both are needed. Guess I'll see if the earth alone does the trick now. Since I put it down and cleaned up the mess this morning, I have not seen any more ants.

Fortunately, I don't leave dry food out for the cat. He gets canned three times a day. It was a little chunk that he'd splattered over on the floor that had dried there (I did not see it to clean it up, I usually do once daily) and the ants were eating that. Between the cat litter he tracks out and his messy eating habits, I have to keep a daily routine to handle his messes. But I love my cat, it's worth it.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:37 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
My daughter had a big dog that would be eating or drinking, and when I’d say his name, he would fling his head around to look at me and whatever was in his mouth went flying. It was the funniest thing. Of course, my daughter didn’t appreciate it as much as I did. LOL

Old 11-03-2021, 02:00 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I am not a fan of bugs of ANY kind, at all (as I am sure most aren't). That is another reason why I enjoyed Oregon so much. I was there for 2 years and didn't see one ant, maybe a couple of spiders, hardly any flies, etc. The only bugs around were snails. No mosquitos, no pincher bugs, none of that mess!

Now I'm back in California and back to the bugs. LOL.
You’d hate it here. Lol we have insects that I have no idea what they are…along with spiders, ants, snakes, mice, and rats. I will generally put bugs outside, but if I find them in the boys room… they get stomped!

Old 11-03-2021, 02:28 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
It's starting to get cold here, so I put a couple of mouse traps in the kitchen since I live in an old house and this is the time of year they sometimes try to get in. I discovered that the peanut butter bait was disappearing from the traps due to a different invasion of ants. <shudder> After my "Unclean! Unclean!" moment, I scoured everything and put out some Terro traps as well. Sometimes I feel bad for murdering critters just doing what they do, but I pay the mortgage, and it's them or me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships