Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2021, 07:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I know that not everyone gets Paid Time Off, and I know it’s a good thing. I “get” PTO, but frankly, it means nothing when the manager won’t approve it. At this point, I feel as though she is trying to show that she’s in control. And I guess she is.
Can you counter and ask her when she would approve your PTO for? If the company policy is that you get a certain amount of PTO days and your manager keeps rejecting your requests, you might have to escalate to her supervisor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 08:01 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Can you counter and ask her when she would approve your PTO for? If the company policy is that you get a certain amount of PTO days and your manager keeps rejecting your requests, you might have to escalate to her supervisor.

I really tried to be fair about my request. I heard that my mgr doesn’t like people asking for time off around the holidays (imagine THAT!). So, I requested several days spread out over the rest of the year. I don’t like drama and am afraid if I ask too much or the wrong thing, I’ll get fired. (Working with her is like walking on egg shells.) She said that she would “try to accommodate” my request, as if I made major executive decisions. I countered that I am willing to move days around, but she simply thanked me for being willing to compromise. (I think it’s the first time she has ever thanked me for anything, even though it was more of a thanks-but-no-thanks response.)

Old 10-27-2021, 08:30 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
I really tried to be fair about my request. I heard that my mgr doesn’t like people asking for time off around the holidays (imagine THAT!). So, I requested several days spread out over the rest of the year. I don’t like drama and am afraid if I ask too much or the wrong thing, I’ll get fired. (Working with her is like walking on egg shells.) She said that she would “try to accommodate” my request, as if I made major executive decisions. I countered that I am willing to move days around, but she simply thanked me for being willing to compromise. (I think it’s the first time she has ever thanked me for anything, even though it was more of a thanks-but-no-thanks response.)
Eurgh, she sounds like a toxic boss. Or the Peter Principle at work.

Sorry for your predicament. How long have you worked there? Did she actually hire you?

Old 10-28-2021, 08:25 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
“6 inches is pretty impressive.”

That’s what she said.
"8 inches is more impressive"...

Old 10-28-2021, 08:43 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Ugh. What a mess. It's her job as a manager to ensure coverage around holidays and busy times, it's not her job to deny you the benefits that you earn.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:01 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
"8 inches is more impressive"...
Oh, my.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:22 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Eurgh, she sounds like a toxic boss. Or the Peter Principle at work.

Sorry for your predicament. How long have you worked there? Did she actually hire you?
Never heard of the Peter principle but it makes sense, I guess essentially you hit a wall with your skill set as you advance.

I had a supervisor my last company that I've known for 20 plus years, we worked together at another company, but at the second one he was my direct supervisor. In the technical ranks he was probably the best I knew and was impressive. He got into management and I don't think he was as cut out for it as he should have been. He got the job done and was competent overall but just didn't have that soft skill set that is really more of requirement in management of dealing with people and being whatever it was, likeable, but he wasn't unlikeable really, not to me anyway. I've heard others not like him.

So as soon as I looked up that definition, I immediately thought of him.

He would sometimes act like taking PTO time was something that was a privilege or whatever instead of being entitled to take, it was hard to explain exactly, but sounds similar to Meta's situation.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:31 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I had a supervisor my last company that I've known for 20 plus years, we worked together at another company, but at the second one he was my direct supervisor. In the technical ranks he was probably the best I knew and was impressive. He got into management and I don't think he was as cut out for it as he should have been. He got the job done and was competent overall but just didn't have that soft skill set that is really more of requirement in management of dealing with people and being whatever it was, likeable, but he wasn't unlikeable really, not to me anyway. I've heard others not like him.
The issue that happens a lot, and it's definitely something that happens in my workplace, is that people get promoted into management when they're good/decent at the job they were hired for, but management is an entirely different skillset that requires training and thoughtfulness. I have no interest in being a manager, but in many ways there's no way to move up without taking on that responsibility.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
The issue with managers, they may have the technical know how to do the job. The people skills and the ability to manage that aspect is important maybe more important than the technical side.

I tend to be a leader without the title. I was the one who went out and worked. I ram into the messes and sorted them out. I wasn’t afraid of taking on the difficult tasks. I’m doing that I seemed to be “go to.” When I was promoted one of my coworkers was complementary. Amid the chaos of 2020 he claimed I had a “calming effect” which was one of my personal goals.

Not sure how I would have been supervising people. I lead a couple of community organizations. I have fun with that. We are moving forward with goals and every one seems pretty happy and they go along with the program.

Over the years I’ve always “been the bridesmaid and never the bride.” When it comes to being a manager. Now I pretty much work by myself and run my own show. It is awesome.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:15 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times
In an email about my PTO, my mgr wrote that she didn’t want my work to fall behind, so I reminded her that
- I now have a co-worker that shares my work (that happened after numerous requests for help)
- I already told her that I’d give up PTO to keep work on task
- I wasn’t the reason it fell behind in the first place (it was another company doing half-a$$ed work that I had to keep sending back then had to keep asking for the revisions)
- I worked alone for the years prior to Dec 2020 (when I finally got help) without taking ANY PTO to be sure the work was done

So, at 11:30 on Thursday, she sent me an email stating that she approved my time for Friday, “missed” approving Thursday, but she sees that I’m already at work. Well, yeah, if I didn’t show up, I would be in trouble, so I’m not sure why she seems surprised that I showed up for work.

People just blow my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships