Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 10:19 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

We didn't get any kids and I didn't see any on the street last night. It's usually pretty quiet in our building, but it seems like I remember seeing kids on the street in the past.

Last edited by Chowhound; 11-01-2021 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 12:16 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
We went over to hang out at my father in law's house. I gave out candy, but there were not a lot of kids. I bought way more candy than we ended up needing.

We have a routine now where we go over there for "Sunday dinner" with Dad. Sometimes I cook, sometimes we order food. Last night we ordered from Applebee's because he's been seeing commercials for their $1 shrimp with a steak deal, and it's been on his mind. He did not care for his steak, though. Well, I'm not sure if I have ever even been to an Applebee's. But I enjoyed my chicken just fine. I'm of the opinion that ordering steak at most restaurants is a waste of money, I can make better steak at home for much less any day. Other than that, we hooked up one of our Roku things to his TV so he could see Dune, and then after that it was back to the endless episodes of Seinfeld.

Father in law loves Seinfeld. Husband likes it, too. I am...not a fan. Ptang a bing bang btoinggg... Whatever.

I used to really love Halloween, but I've mellowed somewhat on holidays in general I think. Maybe one day I'll feel like going all out and decorating my house again, maybe eventually if/when we move back to Colorado Springs and I actually HAVE a house.

Of course...that's a whole other question. I have friends and family I care about in Colorado and I had strongly indicated my intention to go back. I will go back for visits, of course. But when our responsibilities here in Arizona are concluded, I wonder if I'll still want to? Not saying I think I'll fall in love with Phoenix and want to stay here (who knows) but with this remote job and the pay raise I think I'm heading for next year, it's like...I could live ANYWHERE that has decent internet. Anywhere. Is Colorado really my #1 pick? There is so much of the world I haven't seen...

Old 11-01-2021, 12:49 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
We actually had a a lot of people this year. I sit outside, have a table set up with my big bowl of candy, a candle, some decorations, and I pass out the goodies. I live in a neighborhood of mostly families so since I have lived here, Halloween has been good. But it is done by 8:30.

The holidays will be really hard for my mom, for all of us actually, but I worry most about her. I need to plan some more fun stuff to get her out of the house. She has a tendency to not want to do things or cancel plans that have been made.

Last edited by mlj1225; 11-01-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 01:36 PM

This year the holidays isn't feeling so festive. Mrs. Chow's mom is in a nursing home as I've mentioned here. We went to go see her yesterday and the staff member said that she was too weak to get up out of bed. This nursing home has had a third wave of COVID go through the place and they were only allowing visitors to see their family members if they visit outside of the facility.

We drove off feeling a little crappy about that. This year and last year has been the worst couple of years of our lives. The whole COVID thing, the lockdowns, dealing with a lawyer trying to get her mom a conservatorship since we missed the window to get Power of Attorney.

Looming supply chain issues, inflation eating away our dollar's value isn't helping matters either.

Her moms house flooded and we're still dealing with that issue, I mean just everything has sucked for a couple of years now.

I keep telling myself that we'll get through it and we will, but damn, hasn't been a good time for us.

Mrs. Chow's brother just texted us a day or so ago asking if we're going to go to his house for Thanksgiving and were not sure yet. Feels weird with her mom being in such bad shape, some how doesn't feel right, but I don't know.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I remember the days when things like bacon was reasonably priced.
I mean to post this pic yesterday. Can you believe 12.50 for some bacon???
Attached Thumbnails
CDR Chat Thread #31-20211031_151545.jpg  

Old 11-01-2021, 05:05 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
I mean to post this pic yesterday. Can you believe 12.50 for some bacon???
If the store is going to charge $12.50 for regular bacon, they should at least make it look presentable, instead of smashing it into the wire rack holder. LOL

Good grief.

How much does it cost to raise a pig in the back yard? Or don’t we talk about that these days?

Old 11-01-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
This year the holidays isn't feeling so festive. Mrs. Chow's mom is in a nursing home as I've mentioned here. We went to go see her yesterday and the staff member said that she was too weak to get up out of bed. This nursing home has had a third wave of COVID go through the place and they were only allowing visitors to see their family members if they visit outside of the facility.

We drove off feeling a little crappy about that. This year and last year has been the worst couple of years of our lives. The whole COVID thing, the lockdowns, dealing with a lawyer trying to get her mom a conservatorship since we missed the window to get Power of Attorney.

Looming supply chain issues, inflation eating away our dollar's value isn't helping matters either.

Her moms house flooded and we're still dealing with that issue, I mean just everything has sucked for a couple of years now.

I keep telling myself that we'll get through it and we will, but damn, hasn't been a good time for us.

Mrs. Chow's brother just texted us a day or so ago asking if we're going to go to his house for Thanksgiving and were not sure yet. Feels weird with her mom being in such bad shape, some how doesn't feel right, but I don't know.
I’m sorry that your family is going through such trying times. Life really CAN suck. And blow. At the same time even! You know that I’ll keep you & Mrs Chow in my thoughts.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:43 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I’m sorry that your family is going through such trying times. Life really CAN suck. And blow. At the same time even! You know that I’ll keep you & Mrs Chow in my thoughts.
It's so funny that you mention that, because my mom once made a pretty funny joke about the usage of those two terms. Your post cheered me up because of that.

Thank you for your comments. A lot of people are going through really hard, scary times right now (someone always is, of course). I just really feel like we all need to stick together. I seem to keep repeating myself, but that's all I keep thinking about lately.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:59 PM

Sea:

I only heard my mom swear once. Had she heard me ever say “suck” and “blow”, she would tsk me, purse her lips in her disapproving manner, and scold me by only saying my name, “‘morph!”. LMAO.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:45 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
It's so funny that you mention that, because my mom once made a pretty funny joke about the usage of those two terms. Your post cheered me up because of that.

Thank you for your comments. A lot of people are going through really hard, scary times right now (someone always is, of course). I just really feel like we all need to stick together. I seem to keep repeating myself, but that's all I keep thinking about lately.
I agree with you! Sticking together and showing kindness are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships