Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2023, 05:28 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times

Advertisements

Labron James had a record-breaking game. I don’t follow basketball AT ALL. I only know about because it was on the news. I’ll never understand why those guys get paid so much to put the ball in the basket. They reach up and their fingertips are 6 inches from the basket. That’s not a challenge. As a vertically-challenged woman (4’11”), the challenge would be to have short players. Now THEY would earn the $$$. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 08:37 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Labron James had a record-breaking game. I don’t follow basketball AT ALL. I only know about because it was on the news. I’ll never understand why those guys get paid so much to put the ball in the basket. They reach up and their fingertips are 6 inches from the basket. That’s not a challenge. As a vertically-challenged woman (4’11”), the challenge would be to have short players. Now THEY would earn the $$$. LOL
I don't follow sports much. We're going to watch the super bowl this weekend. That's about as far as I go.

In terms of how much money these guys make, yeah, crazy, but it is what it is. I can only imagine how much money the owners and the NBA makes, if they can pay that kind of dough out, they must really be making a lot of money.

Old 02-09-2023, 11:08 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Does anyone else wake up and already feel like that want to go back to bed? Ha.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:19 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Yes, very often.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:52 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Yeah, for sure.

I am SO taking a nap this afternoon.

Random thing that I saw today... A Denver weirdo that I'm friends with on Facebook who had minor viral meme fame when a photo of him circulated holding a plastic screw-in "plug" used in mortuaries, has come up with an ~idea.~ He was enraged when a waitress friend told him that after a post-church crowd left from a Sunday Brunch at her place of employment, it was discovered that they had "tipped" only those religious pamphlets where part of it is printed with the image of a $20 bill, so that when folded it looks like money but it's not.

Now he is creating an event where he's inviting people dressed as weird as they possibly (legally) can be, are encouraged to show up at this restaurant and possibly others in the future, for early-ish Brunch before the churches let out. Rules for the event are that each person must order a meal and also tip at minimum 20 (actual) dollars per person.

I approve of these shenanigans.

Old 02-10-2023, 04:30 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, for sure.

I am SO taking a nap this afternoon.

Random thing that I saw today... A Denver weirdo that I'm friends with on Facebook who had minor viral meme fame when a photo of him circulated holding a plastic screw-in "plug" used in mortuaries, has come up with an ~idea.~ He was enraged when a waitress friend told him that after a post-church crowd left from a Sunday Brunch at her place of employment, it was discovered that they had "tipped" only those religious pamphlets where part of it is printed with the image of a $20 bill, so that when folded it looks like money but it's not.

Now he is creating an event where he's inviting people dressed as weird as they possibly (legally) can be, are encouraged to show up at this restaurant and possibly others in the future, for early-ish Brunch before the churches let out. Rules for the event are that each person must order a meal and also tip at minimum 20 (actual) dollars per person.

I approve of these shenanigans.
Same!

Old 02-13-2023, 08:22 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Random thoughts:

I wish CD would update their ignore feature, being able to see "you are ignoring this person" is not really ignoring. This other forum I'm on, their ignore feature literally makes it seem like the person you ignored is no longer on the site at all. There is NO trace of them at on your end. So there is no temptation to click their irritating posts. And even better there is an option to that makes it to where they can't see your posts anymore either. If CD had that feature, a lot less threads would be closed. Hahaha.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Random thoughts:

I wish CD would update their ignore feature, being able to see "you are ignoring this person" is not really ignoring. This other forum I'm on, their ignore feature literally makes it seem like the person you ignored is no longer on the site at all. There is NO trace of them at on your end. So there is no temptation to click their irritating posts. And even better there is an option to that makes it to where they can't see your posts anymore either. If CD had that feature, a lot less threads would be closed. Hahaha.
Yyyyep.

Sometimes I wonder about this site. Much as I obviously enjoy it, as long as I've been on here and all.

Like I understand that on most forms of "social media" on the internet, if users aren't paying anything then they are "the product" typically via advertising revenue. But here, like, right in front of me on the screen I don't see any ads. I know that there are some around but they aren't really a glaring feature and I can use the forums without seeing any. So what is the point of this place? Who is paying for it? And why?

I could wax conspiratorial about the agendas of governments, "troll farms" and the like. Ehh...maybe? But I'm also asking myself about my own engagement here. Sometimes I feel "baited" by people who seem to be not getting my point on purpose. And whose contributions don't have a lot of "meat" to them so to speak. And here I am doing what I enjoy doing, writing these long and carefully crafted posts and I'm in a sense "generating content." And more and more, "content" is a commodity on the internet. I begin to wonder if my "content" may be getting scooped up by someone for some purpose somewhere? But by whom and for what? I could not begin to tell you.

Actually here's an idea...(I should write some congress-critters with this idea)... What if a law started to be adopted in the US and abroad where every single website had to add a link to a "business model statement" somewhere. So that any user could click it and read something like, "This site is based in X location and exists for Y purpose and is funded by Z revenue." And it would be held to legal/contractual liability as a statement of fact and without that, the site cannot even exist or will not load. No more obscurity of purpose. Like how they require lending companies to have "Truth in Lending" declarations.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:26 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I know the EU has the GDPR--general data protection regulation--that is supposed to be transparent about how websites and companies handle personal data, but that might not be the same thing. Sometimes when you log into certain sites you're asked to confirm how the site handles cookies, etc. That's' because of GDPR

Old 02-13-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I know the EU has the GDPR--general data protection regulation--that is supposed to be transparent about how websites and companies handle personal data, but that might not be the same thing. Sometimes when you log into certain sites you're asked to confirm how the site handles cookies, etc. That's' because of GDPR
Yeah, we have that.

But it would be nice if, for instance, a site that claims to be a "news" organization had a little link to the required statement at the bottom and if you click it, then it will tell you,

"This site is based in Romania.
It exists for purposes of entertainment.
It is funded by ad revenue."

Registered as actual "news" would require some journalistic standards, but registered as "entertainment" can be putting out there total baloney, whatever they want.

Or for a place like Ebay, Etsy, Amazon, Wish, etc...

"This site is based in X country.
It exists for purposes of commerce.
It is funded by transaction fees charged to buy and sell on the site."

It would be required to disclose if a funding source of the site is "sale of user data." Or "sale of user generated content." Or "contributions from private investors" or "Donations" or whatever. It wouldn't have to be glaringly obvious, could be discreetly tucked behind a little text link at the bottom, but it would have to be truthful.

That would be really nice. Just to help people evaluate sources of information, and to stop obfuscating questionable purposes for various sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships