Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 04:24 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times

Advertisements

Actually, certain “non-words” only exists because our country is getting dumber. But that’s just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:07 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Mine too. I think there's a good percentage of people who just make up words and language because they're too lazy to find the correct version. I have an online interpreter when I'm at work, I so want to call her to step in when I'm talking to someone who just doesn't feel like using the right words. When this lazy-talk makes everything a time delay, because I need to figure out what they really mean. Sometimes accents and dialects are just lovely, I find the conversation with someone from say New Orleans or the deep south to be a fun challenge for me, since I'm so far north. But when someone is just lazy and can't even finish their word and leaves the consonants out...can't spell, doesn't bother with spell check...well yeah. Irritating.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:44 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,584 times
Language evolves. How many Americans still use balanced construction in everyday speech? When was the last year no new word was added to the dictionary?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Language evolves. How many Americans still use balanced construction in everyday speech? When was the last year no new word was added to the dictionary?
Some aren’t quite keeping up with evolution as they could though. ...and when I posted “lovely” dialects and accents, I wasn’t being sarcastic, there’s a difference.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:22 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,584 times
RbccL

How come you didn't just take the ticket?

Now look at yourself, all on the tv news.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/0....component.jsx

Old 08-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
RbccL

How come you didn't just take the ticket?

Now look at yourself, all on the tv news.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/0....component.jsx
I can’t. Get. One. More. Ticket!!!!
Do you know how hard it’s getting for a 65 y.o. woman to get out of a ticket by licking her lips and giving the officer the ol’ up ‘n down once over, come hither? I’ve tried taking my teeth out and suggesting “wat dis mouf do” it’s just not working on the younger ones anymore.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:36 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I can’t. Get. One. More. Ticket!!!!
Do you know how hard it’s getting for a 65 y.o. woman to get out of a ticket by licking her lips and giving the officer the ol’ up ‘n down once over, come hither? I’ve tried taking my teeth out and suggesting “wat dis mouf do” it’s just not working on the younger ones anymore.

You still have what it takes...

Old 08-05-2019, 01:23 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
OMG YOU GUYS!

So my son has been using a cheapo little monitor for his computer that I picked up at Goodwill a long time ago, and it finally stopped working. He used to have a problem with breaking electronics, so I never want to buy things that are very expensive for him. He had taken his computer down to my living room and was using it down there, with my large living room TV as a monitor, but I didn't like him camped out in my living room all the time. So I finally let him borrow my small TV from my bedroom which I rarely use, just to get him relocated back to his room. But I do want it back...it was a gift from a friend and I really like it. So today I went to Walmart, knowing full well that the prices on used TVs at thrift stores and pawn shops are often not any better than the cheapest new ones there.

The least expensive TV on the shelf was $88, and I went to ask if they had anything smaller and cheaper than that. The woman asked me what size I wanted, and I told her it wasn't so much that, as I wanted to spend as little as possible... She asked me to wait and went to the back, where she remembered that she had scanned in a returned item, and sure enough it was still there.

She just sold me a 32" LED TV for $25. She says they tested it, and it works. I don't know why it was returned. But she says if I have a problem with it, I can still bring it back again so long as I've got the receipt.

I don't care, this has made my day. I was thinking that the cheapest I'd probably be able to find was like $70-80, if I was lucky... ~happy dance...happy dance...~

Old 08-05-2019, 01:54 PM

That IS pure joy. I don’t want to ruin your mood but...you got the $25 from your son then, right?!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:07 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
That IS pure joy. I don’t want to ruin your mood but...you got the $25 from your son then, right?!
He earned it, I made him work his butt off all weekend, deep cleaning the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships