Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 03:13 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,419,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds so simple, right? And let me add that it's introducing himself ("I'm xxx") that sends a signal that he's interested. If he doesn't introduce himself, a lot of women won't know it's an Approach. They'll just think he's being friendly or asking the time, or whatever. But it seems that a lot of guys are afraid to send a clear signal. Instead, they look for cues that it's "safe" to do so; they look for signs of interest from the woman. But if she thinks he's just passing the time being friendly, she likely won't respond in a way that indicates interest.
I think one issue is that men hear about how women often complain about every guy assuming they like them, when they're just being friendly.

So, I don't blame the guys that look for cues that it's safe to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 03:14 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,374,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And if few (if any) men choose to hit on a woman, than she doesn't have any power at all. In a situation where the guy is choosing to approach, the power is in his choice, not hers.
Just what is this "power" that people keep bringing up anyway. I'm not thinking about "power" in my social interactions. I never thought about "power" for dating either.

(I know you are not the first post in the thread that talks about power, but it is just the most recent post I quoted. I'm more or less agreeing with you )

Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM

64 posts, read 39,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGi87 View Post
\the guy is just failing at social interaction and he is deservedly treated like a loser for it.

Quote:
Anyway even in a hypothetical world where every woman was showered by male attention and never initiated anything and every man was forced to either cold approach or die alone I would still choose to be a man. Why? Because having choice is worth a lot.
There are infinite women, men can just keep hitting the type they like until they get the result they want. Waiting for people to come and approach you and hoping one of them is mr.right is a premium time waster. When you don't get to choose you simply don't hold any power.
This is weird.

First, there aren't infinite women. In the US there are something like 150 million women. Something like, I dunno, 50% of those might be age appropriate. Something like 25% of those an individual guy might find attractive. So, that's about 19 million before considering location (other than the US). Most guys aren't jetting around the world to find women to talk to.

Second, maybe I missed something somewhere in this thread that led to this but, women absolutely have choice. The choice to approach, being one.

Third, the whole thing about "power" is so far off of my radar. Everyone has the power to control their own actions. Beyond that

Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,374,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQueuedQuarks View Post

This is weird.

First, there aren't infinite women. In the US there are something like 150 million women. Something like, I dunno, 50% of those might be age appropriate. Something like 25% of those an individual guy might find attractive. So, that's about 19 million before considering location (other than the US). Most guys aren't jetting around the world to find women to talk to.

Second, maybe I missed something somewhere in this thread that led to this but, women absolutely have choice. The choice to approach, being one.

Third, the whole thing about "power" is so far off of my radar. Everyone has the power to control their own actions. Beyond that
I know, right?

Old 12-19-2016, 03:20 PM

29,780 posts, read 34,541,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Just what is this "power" that people keep bringing up anyway. I'm not thinking about "power" in my social interactions. I never thought about "power" for dating either.

(I know you are not the first post in the thread that talks about power, but it is just the most recent post I quoted. I'm more or less agreeing with you )
Yeah, "power" wouldn't be my choice of word, but that's the one that was used.

Maybe it's a chicken and egg thing: If Person A walks up to Person B to ask him or her out, then Person B has the opportunity to accept or reject (which is what some people are calling "power".) But on the other hand, by approaching Person B (and not Person C or Person D,) Person A has already exercised their choice.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:22 PM

8,924 posts, read 7,751,980 times
Quote:

Good.

Please keep it that way. I think it just makes things complicated.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:26 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:

The whiner guys always say that women have all the "power" in determining who gets a date. They neglect to realize that the women no one approaches have zilch. It's the men who do the choosing who exercise a measure of "power". It's a 2-way street.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,096,900 times
Quote:

Maybe it's a chicken and egg thing: If Person A walks up to Person B to ask him or her out, then Person B has the opportunity to accept or reject (which is what some people are calling "power".) But on the other hand, by approaching Person B (and not Person C or Person D,) Person A has already exercised their choice.
And this is really the bottom line. Both people have a choice, every time, every interaction.

Unless one of the two has been drugged and dragged into a van, everybody has a choice in every version of the "approach" scenario.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:

No. Again, this is so weird.
It reminds me of a problem I have with job interviews.

A job interview isn't just an employer selecting an employee, the employee should also be deciding if they want to work for that employer.

Approaching someone is the first step that the approacher makes in determining if she/he is interested in the approachee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They neglect to realize that the women no one approaches have zilch.
Or, they can approach.

Again, people have power over their own actions.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And this is really the bottom line. Both people have a choice, every time, every interaction.

...everybody has a choice in every version of the "approach" scenario.
Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships