Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 10:37 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
At my age, you've been married you've raised your kids, and had enough of taking care of everyone else but yourself. And believe me, don't misunderstand, loved being married, and most of all, raising my son...he was awesome and so were his friends. However, now it's my turn, and I wouldn't trade it for the world....
I guess I'm leapfrogging over the "married with children" part, and going straight to the "my turn" part. If that makes me selfish or a Peter Pan, meh. (What's the emoticon for apathy?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I guess I'm leapfrogging over the "married with children" part, and going straight to the "my turn" part. If that makes me selfish or a Peter Pan, meh. (What's the emoticon for apathy?)
no one said that makes you selfish....that's what you want. Listen, life is way too short to label people or yourself, or listen to others who have negative comments towards you. Gravitate towards the positive...always, and leave the rest behind.

This is your life....as long as you don't hurt anyone else in the process, enjoy!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
What on earth makes that selfish?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
I'll drink to that.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Without an agreed-upon definition of happiness, this thread is pointless. And that is nearly impossible, because just as several posters have outlined, some people are happy alone, some people are miserable alone. Some people are happy in a relationship, others are miserable in a relationship.

In my case, and that is all I can speak for, I am happy alone and I can be happy in a relationship too. My happiness is my own, I am the only one responsible for my state of happiness. An unhappy person cannot be 'fixed' into a happy person by putting them in a relationship. I've seen many people try this and fail, and then they blame the other person in the relationship for the failure to make them happy.

Happy is a choice you make - perhaps the people who believe they can only be happy when they are with someone else are actually experiencing boredom, discontent, loneliness or some other state of mind when they are without an 'SO'.

Last edited by DontH8Me; 02-22-2017 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-22-2017, 11:03 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
no one said that makes you selfish....that's what you want.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not you two. And thanks for the words of encouragement. But society at large seems to think that all single men over 30 are selfish.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Not you two. And thanks for the words of encouragement. But society at large seems to think that all single men over 30 are selfish.
Who gives a diddly-doo-darn what society at large seems to think? In my case, as a 40+ year old divorcée with two children my dating propspects should be absolutely no one wanting to touch me with a ten foot pole. According to society at large, I am damaged goods, past my prime, no spring chicken, aged out of the dating pool. I'm supposed to jump for joy for ANY male attention because they are doing me the favor.

Laugh it off my friend - society at large can get bent.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
if you'd listen to society, you'd be someone else all together....people are constantly trying to tell you not only what to do, how to live but who you are....

don't buy into it, and let me tell you, there are a whole lot of people out there who probably don't date, b/c they feel like you do....go find them and while your doing so, enjoy life, travel, invent things to do, to make you happy, it gives you something to look forward to....I mean it....stop allowing people to dictate to you who you are....

and one more thing, if and when you book a trip, and you share it with co-workers, beware of the nay sayers who are negative about what you are doing....they are either afraid to go it alone, or, jealous...and never venture out there own front door but would like to.
You'll find very few people will be happy for you....and encourage you to get out there and be the best that you can be.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 02-22-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not, but that poster's insistence that people not living his preferred lifestyle are boring and unfulfilled might not be winning folks over.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Who gives a diddly-doo-darn what society at large seems to think? In my case, as a 40+ year old divorcée with two children my dating propspects should be absolutely no one wanting to touch me with a ten foot pole. According to society at large, I am damaged goods, past my prime, no spring chicken, aged out of the dating pool. I'm supposed to jump for joy for ANY male attention because they are doing me the favor.

Laugh it off my friend - society at large can get bent.
ta dah....standing ovation!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships