Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Not precisely on topic, but "rape" is always the wrong word to use when talking about anything other than rape. It's repugnant and it wrecks your argument.
It shouldn't have to be said, but thank you for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 12:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Is that what happened to you? Are you an older gentleman? It hasn't been called alimony for YEARS. Decades even. If your papers indicated spousal support I'm sure it would be ingrained in your mind and read over and over. I hate when men just parrot what their buddy said, what happened to the guy down the street, just crap with no facts.
Child support is based on a formula including your income, it's the same for everyone! You aren't forced to pay anything that hasn't been reached by a fair and equitable formula, whether you're a man or a WOMAN.
Really?

I want to alert you to something known as the IRS Tax Year 2016 Form 1040.

Apparently the IRS never got the memo regarding that word.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When my sister got divorced from a man who checked out of their marriage and wasn't much of a husband she told me that she tried her best every day, but that she was 45 and couldn't imagine living 30 more years with a man who took her for granted. Do you think that because he didn't hit her or cheat that she should have sucked it up and been miserable for the rest of her life?
So he took her for granted and nothing else? That could've easily been worked out. As soon as any problem rises in a relationship people just want to bail instead of working things out. I call that the easy way out.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
According to 49ersfan, yes, she should have
Yes I do believe that. I know I am going to get my head bitten off but I truly believe that.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Really?

I want to alert you to something known as the IRS Tax Year 2016 Form 1040.

Apparently the IRS never got the memo regarding that word.
During divorce proceedings is what I am referring to, I don't mean anywhere in the universe, I was talking about what one is ordered to pay.
Look at your papers, are you ordered to pay 'alimony' or spousal support.
Rhetorical, it wasn't my point and it's not the topic of this thread.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
So he took her for granted and nothing else? That could've easily been worked out. As soon as any problem rises in a relationship people just want to bail instead of working things out. I call that the easy way out.
You don't know what happened. Maybe they tried to work it out thoroughly, but nothing came to fruition. I like how you assume they just bailed at the first sign of issues.

Quote:
Yes I do believe that. I know I am going to get my head bitten off but I truly believe that.
Well, I guess everyone is entitled to an "opinion" (no matter how insane it is )

Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
You don't know what happened. Maybe they tried to work it out thoroughly, but nothing came to fruition. I like how you assume they just bailed at the first sign of issues.
In my sister's case, her ex didn't feel like anything needed to be worked out. He thought counseling was pointless, and all of his needs were getting met, so why change anything? Anybody saying that she made her bed when she was 25 and needed to live like that forever is being cruel. After their divorce, my sister is a much happier, optimistic person. Funny how losing a 200-lb ball and chain will do that to a person.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:56 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
In my sister's case, her ex didn't feel like anything needed to be worked out. He thought counseling was pointless, and all of his needs were getting met, so why change anything?
At the risk of playing devil's advocate, the guy was onto something about counseling. Most marriage counselors---make that all of them---automatically take the wife's side. They probably do it out of misguided sympathy. Or to funnel clients to the divorce lawyers they collude with. Or maybe it's just their business model. Either way, the guy knew that very well. Granted, it may be his fault after all, but that doesn't change what marriage counselors do. I, personally, would never go to a marriage counselor. Why pay $100+ an hour out of my own pocket only to get blamed for everything?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-23-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I guess everyone is entitled to an "opinion" (no matter how insane it is )
Quote:
In my sister's case, her ex didn't feel like anything needed to be worked out. He thought counseling was pointless, and all of his needs were getting met, so why change anything? Anybody saying that she made her bed when she was 25 and needed to live like that forever is being cruel. After their divorce, my sister is a much happier, optimistic person. Funny how losing a 200-lb ball and chain will do that to a person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
At the risk of playing devil's advocate, the guy was onto something about counseling. Most marriage counselors---make that all of them---automatically take the wife's side. They probably do it out of misguided sympathy. Or to funnel clients to the divorce lawyers they collude with. Or maybe it's just their business model. Either way, the guy knew that very well. Granted, it may be his fault after all, but that doesn't change what marriage counselors do. I, personally, would never go to a marriage counselor. Why pay $100+ an hour out of my own pocket only to get blamed for everything?
For those that are single, it is best to try to be as content as possible. Nothing is guaranteed. I believe in marriage, it is important for both people involved to do their part to make it work. Being taken for granted is definitely a bad thing for both people involved in the relationships.

If it is true that marriage counselors are more tipped in the favor of the woman, then that is unfortunate, at the same time, I am not the least bit surprised.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:52 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
During divorce proceedings is what I am referring to, I don't mean anywhere in the universe, I was talking about what one is ordered to pay.
Look at your papers, are you ordered to pay 'alimony' or spousal support.
Rhetorical, it wasn't my point and it's not the topic of this thread.
Family law is a state law matter. Last I looked, the US has 50 states, some of which still call it alimony. The fact that your state (MN?) apparently does not, does not make the people who live in states that still use the word "alimony" in their state statutes wrong for using the word that is still legally correct for their particular situation. Why is that so hard to grasp? You were insulting a person for being wildly out of date using the word alimony, but he's probably in a state where it's still called that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships