Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I guess it's the part where you've said you are "happily single" that could possibly be construed as.....odd. It's almost a situation that could be described as.....unbelievable.
Well no I am not over it in fact I am still devastated about it. But I have to be strong and keep a brave face about it hence my comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 02:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Well no I am not over it in fact I am still devastated about it. But I have to be strong and keep a brave face about it hence my comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbjYLrBJnF0

Old 02-26-2017, 02:15 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I haven't attempted to date since she died three months ago. What are you talking about?
That's kind of the point she's trying to make. No one would expect you or anyone to be even remotely considering dating only three months after losing a fiancee. Even mentioning the option, like you deserve a pat on the back for it, makes you sound callous and careless.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:26 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,149 times
Totally depends on the individual. There are plenty of couples that are unhappy with each other. There are plenty of singles that are happy to be single. I think in either situation as long as you surround yourself with the people that make you happy it shouldn't matter. When I was single I had a lot of female friends that I could just go out and enjoy life with, there was never any inappropriateness or anything beyond a friendship. Everyone is different; what works for one person might not work for someone else.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:28 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Glad to hear you happy so soon after your fiancée died two days before the wedding! That would have long-term psychological effects on most people.
Content doesn't necessarily mean happy. I think he is more accepting of where he is at, not "happy" as you describe. Really, I think y'all need to stay off 49ersfan's case. Not everyone gets over a situation the same way or timeframe.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:32 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
In other posts he's described himself as happily single because he doesn't have to answer to anyone and no one else is spending his money.

I have a feeling I know exactly why he wishes people would stop mentioning it....

Old 02-26-2017, 09:59 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Singles can be happy long-term but it typically happens because they've had long difficult relationships and aren't interested in going back to those sorts of situations.

I've never met someone that was happy being single AND had always been single. A preference for the single life seems to only come after experiencing the coupled life.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:18 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I've never met someone that was happy being single AND had always been single. A preference for the single life seems to only come after experiencing the coupled life.
My staunch anti-LTR stance came mostly from observing other people's coupled life: both the family I grew up in and my current friends. I also had my own relationship, which was fraught with drama, yelling, and emotional abuse. I made a vow to myself to never allow anyone to have another LTR with me again. (I still enjoy being friends with women, and if I can find a fun fling somehow, I'll be happy to have that too.)

Old 02-26-2017, 11:00 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:

I have a feeling I know exactly why he wishes people would stop mentioning it....
It might make a difference if he quits bringing it up in every other post

Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

. A preference for the single life seems to only come after experiencing the coupled life.
After a BAD experience of the coupled life.
All the descriptions of being with someone else on here sound absolutely pathological. Of course if those are the only examples of relationships I had ever seen or experienced, I'd want to be single, too.

"No one telling me what to do."
"No one to clean up after."
"No one spending all my money."
"No one telling me what channel to watch."
"I finally have time for me and my dreams."
"No more drama and yelling."

I mean, seriously, what kind of horrible relationships have these people been in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships