Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 01:10 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,975,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Short-term, yes if they are going through life changes or improving themselves to be a better person. Long-term, no. I've met people who say they're happy being single but their words and actions tells me differently. Meaning, they either complain about how lonely they are or drink as an escape to avoid dealing with their feelings.
Your sample size of how many people????

People generally cherry pick the evidence that already supports their point of view.

I am the first one to say that generally, married people are happier than singles, but that's a broad generalization. There are plenty of exceptions to that very general rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 02:48 AM

641 posts, read 405,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When my sister got divorced from a man who checked out of their marriage and wasn't much of a husband she told me that she tried her best every day, but that she was 45 and couldn't imagine living 30 more years with a man who took her for granted. Do you think that because he didn't hit her or cheat that she should have sucked it up and been miserable for the rest of her life?
When a married couple are deemed as 'incompatible' you wonder why the hell they got married to each other.

I think a lot of couples aren't meant to be 'together forever' so a marriage isn't going to last. People obsess too much about getting married, so don't do enough due diligence when they jump into it or just settle because they want to get married.

Marriage is an outdated concept, born out by the divorce rate. If a couple can stay together forever then great but they don't need to be married to do that.

A marriage is just a contract at the end of the day. The religious aspect of it gets less and less each generation and it becomes more about the wedding day than what comes after.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
I would rather be single, happy and content (been there done that), than married lonely and miserable-where I am in now. That will be resolved later on this year. Back to singlehood

Old 02-26-2017, 06:15 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Doesn't make sense to me. The way I see it, if you're in an exclusive relationship with someone, or even dating someone else you're into, then you aren't single.

At least that's why I've understood it growing up. Maybe it's a generation thing like millennial said.

Yup, an answer like that is practically the same as saying she's in a relationship (to me at least).
For me, single means unmarried, a legal status. I get that other people may prefer to use the word differently, but I am unmarried, live alone, and prefer it that way - I really am single. If someone asks if I am in a relationship, I would certainly answer yes. But he and I are most assuredly single, and he would answer the question the same way.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
The way I see it, if you're in an exclusive relationship with someone,
or even dating someone else you're into, then you aren't single.

At least that's why I've understood it...
And the way that most dictionaries apply the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Websters
unmarried or not involved in a stable sexual relationship.
synonyms:unmarried, unwed, unwedded, unattached, free, a bachelor, a spinster;

Old 02-26-2017, 09:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Isn't it funny that societally, "bachelor" is a rather neutral term simply meaning not married at the time while "spinster" carries the connotation of age and long-term unmarried implying never married.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-26-2017 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
For me, single means unmarried, a legal status. I get that other people may prefer to use the word differently, but I am unmarried, live alone, and prefer it that way - I really am single. If someone asks if I am in a relationship, I would certainly answer yes. But he and I are most assuredly single, and he would answer the question the same way.
You have a boyfriend and usually to me that means you aren't single.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
RE the post I replied to.....

I'm saying that as I've not seen the OPs posts for ages she DID have a boyfriend but as I've not seen her for a while I couldn't confirm at that very point.

And what bollox are you talking with the rest of your post? where did I mention anything about life long singles never finding or having a relationship? and out of pure interest how is unmarried necessarily single? many in a loving relationship that are not married that are not single

Seriously I've no idea how you got all that from my post thinkalot.?
Because single means NOT MARRIED! You can live with a person for 40 years and if you are not married you are single.

Because boyfriend does not change your status. Still single.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
A lot of people in Europe do not get married anymore. But they are not single. This is from niece's and nephews of my husband and his best friends. Just observation. They have children together, just not married.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 02-26-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Because single means NOT MARRIED!
Only in the legal usage.

Quote:
You can live with a person for 40 years and if you are not married you are single.
Because boyfriend does not change your status. Still single.
But in the other common usages like, oh say in a venue like a relationship forum...
when describing someone who is living together or has any sort of regular sexual relationship going on...
well, then they ain't single no more.

Here's a good test:
If you already KNOW who you'll be going to the movies or out to dinner with the next time you do-- you aren't single.
If you have someone to call before taking off for a week at the beach or something like that-- you aren't singles.
Enjoy it. But don't try to push alternative facts on the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships