Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
don't buy into it, and let me tell you, there are a whole lot of people out there who probably don't date, b/c they feel like you do....go find them and while your doing so, enjoy life, travel, invent things to do, to make you happy, it gives you something to look forward to....I mean it....stop allowing people to dictate to you who you are....
I actually already found like-minded people to an extent: through Meetup. One group is especially like that. The group is strictly social and friendly, and using to seek out dates is strongly discouraged by the organizer and by self-policing. Everybody in it likes going out and having fun, despite most people being over 30. Quite a bit of drinking takes place too, along with the goofy behaviors associated with it. It seems like the group provides a social outlet for people who think like me. Outright craziness that's common among 21-year-olds is very rare, though.

There is a handful of dating couples in the group, but they're amazingly discreet about it. Occasionally, I see a more-than-friendly hug or a quick peck on the lips, but that's as couple-y as it gets. I don't feel like there is a social divide of any kind, that you often see in mixed groups of couples and singles, like among my long-time friends, whose mindset is far more mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:08 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
As always, there's nothing wrong with opting out of marriage/relationships and parenting children.

I'd argue that opting out of relationships because you truly believe women are just screaming nags who set out to ruin men emotionally and financially (based on your mother?), well that might be something you might want to explore. Like, in therapy.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:08 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Not you two. And thanks for the words of encouragement. But society at large seems to think that all single men over 30 are selfish.
Or they assume that they hate women which isn't true.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Quote:
Not you two. And thanks for the words of encouragement. But society at large seems to think that all single men over 30 are selfish.
Society-at-large ~=
- $4600 in savings
- Years worth of debt
- "Entertained" by Tee-vee, crap streaming in iCrud, cute texts back and forth, gossip about both people they know and people they don't
- Got meds?
- Pick your poison ... I mean ... suburb

Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
Lots of men are happy as single men. Some men are also happy being single since being abused and financially raped in a divorce. Relationships are painted in this society, as the source of true happiness, but millions know that is a myth.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie.
Relationships are painted in this society, as the source of true happiness, but millions know that is a myth.
My determination to remain single has got me labelled as a misogynist among other things. Not true. I love women and enjoy their company as friends. What I hate is the presentation of romantic relationships in our culture and the way they're perceived as the key to happiness and fulfilment if one's life is somehow lacking. That's misleading and unrealistic. Even the most harmonious of couplings is not without difficulties or complexities.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
My determination to remain single has got me labelled as a misogynist among other things. Not true. I love women and enjoy their company as friends. What I hate is the presentation of romantic relationships in our culture and the way they're perceived as the key to happiness and fulfilment if one's life is somehow lacking. That's misleading and unrealistic. Even the most harmonious of couplings is not without difficulties or complexities.
I don't get that logic. How does a man staying single mean he hates women? Can someone answer that for me?

Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I don't get that logic. How does a man staying single mean he hates women? Can someone answer that for me?
It's a tactic to shame men into settling down, only to later clean them out in a divorce. Divorce courts need their revenue too, yo!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
My accuser has no logic, merely a dimestore psychology degree and an overestimated view of his manhood's girth. This qualifies him as an authority on everything apparently.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
It's a tactic to shame men into settling down, only to later clean them out in a divorce. Divorce courts need their revenue too, yo!
Well shame tactics have never worked on me, never will. The only reason I am single now is because my fiancé passed away almost 3 months ago. I also grew up around women and I have no intentions to date for awhile. My mother had me when she was 14 and raised me and my sisters by herself. She has since remarried to an awesome man and they had a daughter together. I love all the women in my family, I'm not in the least bit misogynistic at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships