Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
So women ARE interested in you when you don't have money?! I guess you just eliminated the need to start a thread about women posting here who say they don't care about money. Sheesh you're confusing.
no were most of those are memories from the past. I'm speaking in recent years when I posted the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I don't mind smiling I just have to have reason to, as far as my photophobia it's not really a problem in fact its a benefit, when the lights are out I can still see(not complete darkness mind you), lol other people stumble around and bang there toes. it's just basically the receptors in my eyes don't turn down all the way. so the 25 W bulbs in my house look to me like a 100 W bulb looks to you.

Someone here said I should see if I could correct it, I found that strange because to me it sounded like he was suggesting voluntary partial blindness. some people do have it corrected(bad term), but I feel my vision would be worse not better because I would be one of those stumbling in the dim/dark people.
Just turn on a light? Like other people?

I think your aversion to light and refusal to correct your condition is a pretty big drawback to dating, being honest. Most active people enjoy being outside in the day, (especially in warmer climates like yours) but I expect you would never want to go to the beach, go to an outdoor concert or sporting event, etc.

I hope you find that rare woman who wants to sit in the dark all day and do all her socializing at night.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:52 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Just turn on a light? Like other people?

I think your aversion to light and refusal to correct your condition is a pretty big drawback to dating, being honest. Most active people enjoy being outside in the day, (especially in warmer climates like yours) but I expect you would never want to go to the beach, go to an outdoor concert or sporting event, etc.

I hope you find that rare woman who wants to sit in the dark all day and do all her socializing at night.
Would you want to have an operation that made your vision worse? Think about what you are saying lol.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Would you want to have an operation that made your vision worse? Think about what you are saying lol.
That's something for you to discuss with your doctor.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:17 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
How would it make your vision worse? You just said it's possible to have it corrected. It sounds like you've normalized living in the dark, and are defining normal, healthy vision that allows people to live normal lives as dysfunctional.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:24 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
I ask this because I have been looking at poll's on various subjects plus a few I have posted on my own.
one being would a woman prefer a guy who hates his job but makes good money or a guy who loved his job but did not earn much, surprisingly most women answered the guy who liked his job but did not earn much, but sadly in real life such women seem hard to find. .
If a man stops chasing after high-maintenance, gold diggers, he will find this kind of woman. She might not be totally gorgeous, but you could enjoy a life with her.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
I ask this because I have been looking at poll's on various subjects plus a few I have posted on my own.
one being would a woman prefer a guy who hates his job but makes good money or a guy who loved his job but did not earn much, surprisingly most women answered the guy who liked his job but did not earn much, but sadly in real life such women seem hard to find.
That's because they aren't single. As you get older you run into more of the women that have the 50 bullet point checklists like on the Oprah show that someone linked a vid of, and that's why they're still single.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That's because they aren't single. As you get older you run into more of the women that have the 50 bullet point checklists like on the Oprah show that someone linked a vid of, and that's why they're still single.
That woman didn't have a list of 50 points, until Oprah told her (and other women present) to make a list with a certain number of points.

There are plenty of women in their 30's and 40's who aren't "gold diggers" (to the contrary; at that age some own a home & have a good savings account), and who are still looking for a good guy. Some have only begun to look at that age, because they were busy getting an advanced degree, and getting their career launched. There's no need to stereotype daters of a certain age group, just because of a brief clip of a TV show (taken out of context, no less).

Old 10-08-2017, 11:10 AM

534 posts, read 489,448 times
This was a really interesting thread. I enjoyed all the POV!

My personal reaction to the interior of the house was...it made me feel a little depressed and unattracted. Because I imagined I was on a date with someone I liked and then I came into the house, and it was a downer. So I explored why I felt this reaction; maybe it will be of help in some way. In and of itself it means nothing, it's just based on my own pyschological makeup.

When first dating someone, there is a somewhat unconscious drive to see/evaluate how I would fit into this person's existing world. Your home is different from my aesthetic of how I want my home to look, but it looks like your home, like you are happy there and fulfilled, it's "You" and that there would not be any room for "me" and what I want and how I want my home to look, unless I 'changed' you. Which I do not want to do! Your home tells me about "You".

So if we were on a date and I came to your house, I would start to feel uneasy and maybe not even realize the reason at the time. It's not because of being a 'gold digger' (although I do not object to anyone liking money!), or you not being worthy of me, nothing like that...it's just a sudden disconnect between what I want and what I see as my options with you. Probably the exact same reason that men sometimes don't further pursue a woman they had been enthusiastically chasing and just had sex with. The information about the other person has produced something the other is resistant to in some way (which is always about them and what they really are seeking).

I found that often when relationships didn't' work out, there was always something, some uncomfortable feeling I had right away, that I ignored because I liked other things about the person. So in this case, if you were funny and smart and made me laugh, there would be this attraction, but then i would see your house, and ignore it, because you were funny and smart and made me laugh, but as the relationship would progress, the problem of the house, in one way or another, would still be there.

It's just my perspective on how dating works--people are complex under the surface---and why attraction seems to cool so fast for no reason, or why relationships that seem to start out great suddenly start having problems that don't make sense based on the beginnings of the relationship.

Last edited by typical_guinea_pig; 10-08-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-08-2017, 12:04 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
This was a really interesting thread. I enjoyed all the POV!

My personal reaction to the interior of the house was...it made me feel a little depressed and unattracted. Because I imagined I was on a date with someone I liked and then I came into the house, and it was a downer. So I explored why I felt this reaction; maybe it will be of help in some way. In and of itself it means nothing, it's just based on my own pyschological makeup.

When first dating someone, there is a somewhat unconscious drive to see/evaluate how I would fit into this person's existing world. Your home is different from my aesthetic of how I want my home to look, but it looks like your home, like you are happy there and fulfilled, it's "You" and that there would not be any room for "me" and what I want and how I want my home to look, unless I 'changed' you. Which I do not want to do! Your home tells me about "You".

So if we were on a date and I came to your house, I would start to feel uneasy and maybe not even realize the reason at the time. It's not because of being a 'gold digger' (although I do not object to anyone liking money!), or you not being worthy of me, nothing like that...it's just a sudden disconnect between what I want and what I see as my options with you. Probably the exact same reason that men sometimes don't further pursue a woman they had been enthusiastically chasing and just had sex with. The information about the other person has produced something the other is resistant to in some way (which is always about them and what they really are seeking).

I found that often when relationships didn't' work out, there was always something, some uncomfortable feeling I had right away, that I ignored because I liked other things about the person. So in this case, if you were funny and smart and made me laugh, there would be this attraction, but then i would see your house, and ignore it, because you were funny and smart and made me laugh, but as the relationship would progress, the problem of the house, in one way or another, would still be there.

It's just my perspective on how dating works--people are complex under the surface---and why attraction seems to cool so fast for no reason, or why relationships that seem to start out great suddenly start having problems that don't make sense based on the beginnings of the relationship.
Exactly this. Although my aversion to the house is more visceral than yours. It really looks like a hermit, criminal or disordered person lives there, in the dark, behind bars.

I have done the same as you...faded out on a guy because of a gut feeling about him. Discomfort, inability to relate to his personality, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships