Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 12:33 AM

1,199 posts, read 731,225 times

Advertisements

Two factors here.

1. Most complaints about women are directed at attractive women. Average joes complaining about how it's so unfair they can't land the hot chick. Well dude, you're average and you're not really doing anything to better yourself. There's lots of regular women available, but you don't want them.

2. OLD does tend to skew in women's favor in regards to the who is chasing who dynamic, number of options, etc. The point above is exacerbated by the OLD rejection average Joe's receive from women they would normally think are in their league.

In general people try to play up their good side. This has been amplified in the last decade. Saying you just want a happy go lucky guy, money and status aside, sounds great. But in reality if you had the choice between the exact same guy but one had a higher level of status and resources, it's human nature to pick the more successful one. Words are just words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 06:21 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, you're missing the point. You're still assuming you're going to find someone. It's like your home is on hold waiting for someone. Make it into a home for you now. It can always be changed. You may meet someone next week, in 10 years, or never. No reason to keep it a shell until you do in case someone someday may want to move in.
My impression from his posts is that the OP hasn't been involved with a woman in many years, as all of his examples are from decades ago.

OP, what happened to your wife and kids? Can you fill us in on your history a bit?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
In general people try to play up their good side. This has been amplified in the last decade. Saying you just want a happy go lucky guy, money and status aside, sounds great. But in reality if you had the choice between the exact same guy but one had a higher level of status and resources, it's human nature to pick the more successful one. Words are just words.

The reality is that emotional connections and chemistry is never, ever, ever exactly the same. People don't fall in love with checklists or traits. They fall in love with individuals. And almost everyone would choose the person they have better chemistry with and an emotional connection to.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
The reality is that emotional connections and chemistry is never, ever, ever exactly the same. People don't fall in love with checklists or traits. They fall in love with individuals. And almost everyone would choose the person they have better chemistry with and an emotional connection to.
"Exact same guy." Are you putting stipulations on my entirely made up hypothetical scenario??

Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
"Exact same guy"
How could the "exact same guy" have a better job, more money, etc.? That makes no sense. They will be inherently different because of the manner that one acquired more resources than the other.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How could the "exact same guy" have a better job, more money, etc.? That makes no sense. They will be inherently different because of the manner that one acquired more resources than the other.
I'm gonna pop this balloon right now because I'm not gonna argue about an entirely made up hypothetical scenario.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm gonna pop this balloon right now because I'm not gonna argue about an entirely made up hypothetical scenario.
My point, which seems to have been missed, is that many people will say things that sound good but at the end of the day, status matters. Whether it's monetary or social, it matters, especially for men.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
"Exact same guy." Are you putting stipulations on my entirely made up hypothetical scenario??

If its the exact same guy, there can't be two people to choose from, by definition. And even if it were two people with the same list of exact traits and features, the emotional connection and chemistry with them is never the "exact same".

You're trying to make this into an economics example with "all other features being equal" to show changes to actions/reactions based on modifying of a couple of criteria on an axis. That doesn't work with interpersonal relationships at all. It fundamentally misunderstands human dynamics.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
If its the exact same guy, there can't be two people to choose from, by definition. And even if it were two people with the same list of exact traits and features, the emotional connection and chemistry with them is never the "exact same".

You're trying to make this into an economics example with "all other features being equal" to show changes to actions/reactions based on modifying of a couple of criteria on an axis. That doesn't work with interpersonal relationships at all. It fundamentally misunderstands human dynamics.
Is this another case of an inexperienced guy trying to use binary logic to understand women and relationships?

Why is this so common on this forum? I never see guys act like this in real life.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Is this another case of an inexperienced guy trying to use binary logic to understand women and relationships?

Why is this so common on this forum? I never see guys act like this in real life.
I'm far from inexperienced and I already walked away from the example. Jesus lady calm down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships