Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kalypso View Post
The problem is this seems like a mano a mano thing at it's core. BIL wouldn't do what he's doing if he thought he'd get ****ed up for it. OP needs to tell BIL man to man, to stay the hell away from his wife !

Sorry OP...just calling the way I see it.
RE: the bolded, the OP did exactly that. It sounds like you didn't read the OP's posts. He did that, and BIL has stayed away, but OP's wife freaked out, when the OP did exactly what you're suggesting. She accused the OP of trying to destroy the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 PM

42 posts, read 53,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE: the bolded, the OP did exactly that. It sounds like you didn't read the OP's posts. He did that, and BIL has stayed away, but OP's wife freaked out, when the OP did exactly what you're suggesting. She accused the OP of trying to destroy the family.
I've read the entire thread and I think what some of the guys responding have issue with is his reaction to the wife's reactions. At so many times during the conversations relayed would I have called bullsh1t that it is ridiculous to me and I wonder if it is just a troll.

The other side of the coin is that as mentioned, this husband is potentially whipped and can be beaten down by a few strong worded orders. If that is the case the BIL probably knew this and was looking to take advantage of the situation. The wife already most likely had no respect anyway and is just controlling the situation for both of them.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilforgod View Post
I've read the entire thread and I think what some of the guys responding have issue with is his reaction to the wife's reactions. At so many times during the conversations relayed would I have called bullsh1t that it is ridiculous to me and I wonder if it is just a troll.

The other side of the coin is that as mentioned, this husband is potentially whipped and can be beaten down by a few strong worded orders. If that is the case the BIL probably knew this and was looking to take advantage of the situation. The wife already most likely had no respect anyway and is just controlling the situation for both of them.
I don't think he's whipped or a troll. I think he's a guy who's in love with his wife, in a marriage that was doing fine, until this recent weirdness. The wife originally was upfront, or appeared to be upfront, about these running episodes with the BIL, so the OP continued thinking the marriage was humming along nicely.

When you're happy in a marriage and have complete faith in your spouse, it can take some time to size up a sudden change in the situation. At first, again--coming from a mindset of years of complete faith in your spouse, you can't fathom the obvious. Then, you may get to a stage when you don't want to believe the obvious, so you look for alternative explanations.

Then (with the help of blunt strangers online), you run out of justifiable alternative explanations. At which point, you go into shock or despair, and drop out of the online conversation, because you can't take it anymore. Especially when the blunt strangers online start calling you "whipped", just because you were in love with your wife, and up until recently, had had no reason whatsoever to not have complete trust in her.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:53 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,057 times
Ask for opinions, expect all kinds.

When the OP mentions counseling or any kind of resolution his wife screams and throws threats of divorce at him. The divorce threat will kill a marriage by itself. But on top of it she's asking him to be fake pals with the guy who may or may not be sleeping with his wife.

Most wives would never threaten divorce or put their husband in that position.

Why does this wife do it? Because she can. Because he's "whipped".

Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Ask for opinions, expect all kinds.

When the OP mentions counseling or any kind of resolution his wife screams and throws threats of divorce at him. The divorce threat will kill a marriage by itself. But on top of it she's asking him to be fake pals with the guy who may or may not be sleeping with his wife.

Most wives would never threaten divorce or put their husband in that position.

Why does this wife do it? Because she can. Because he's "whipped".
Can she? I wouldn't be so sure. How do you know the OP hasn't already been to a lawyer, to discuss divorce?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:29 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,887 times
Quote:
I don't think you have a clear picture of the situation. The OP only found out that there was something inappropriate going on, recently. He'd been going along in a marriage of a number of years, starting a family and raising kids, when everything was fine. Now, suddenly, he finds out his brother-in-law was making moves on his wife. He told his BIL to knock it off, and his wife freaked, so he's trying to figure out why his wife freaked. This is a new situation for the OP, in a marriage that was humming along fine, as far as he knew.

The whole thing with the wife's reaction has unfolded only around the time the OP started the thread, more or less. And he hasn't been a "doormat"'; he's asked her for clarification directly. It's been a very intensive time, it's all been a very sudden development. You're completely misreading the situation, and projecting your own "doormat" issues onto it. Which may be one reason you're "very independent", which I gather means "single", and talking in terms of "relationships" rather than "marriages". You sound like you're in over your head, here.
Actually no, I'm not single and I'm not projecting anything. I was just referring to a lot of posts in general from guys here, it seems to be a common theme. Should have clarified that. As for the OP, he is definitely whipped.

Last edited by david0966; 04-12-2018 at 02:12 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 02:35 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Actually no, I'm not single and I'm not projecting anything. I was just referring to a lot of posts in general from guys here, it seems to be a common theme. Should have clarified that. As for the OP, he is definitely whipped.
Husband has refused to be friendly to BIL and pretend all is hunky dory.
That's not 'whipped'

Old 04-12-2018, 07:01 AM

34,236 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
I don't think he's whipped or a troll. I think he's a guy who's in love with his wife, in a marriage that was doing fine, until this recent weirdness. The wife originally was upfront, or appeared to be upfront, about these running episodes with the BIL, so the OP continued thinking the marriage was humming along nicely.

When you're happy in a marriage and have complete faith in your spouse, it can take some time to size up a sudden change in the situation. At first, again--coming from a mindset of years of complete faith in your spouse, you can't fathom the obvious. Then, you may get to a stage when you don't want to believe the obvious, so you look for alternative explanations.

Then (with the help of blunt strangers online), you run out of justifiable alternative explanations. At which point, you go into shock or despair, and drop out of the online conversation, because you can't take it anymore. Especially when the blunt strangers online start calling you "whipped", just because you were in love with your wife, and up until recently, had had no reason whatsoever to not have complete trust in her.

Good post. I can only add the dynamic of children, I believe they have two. There is huge pressure to stay in a marriage for the children, as well as financial pressure of child support, etc. I am sure the OP is thinking about the kid's welfare, and that is another reason to try to make the marriage work, but I don't believe this one can be salvaged, kids, or not. I know I would have been out of the marriage, and sitting in an attorney's office long ago.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Good post. I can only add the dynamic of children, I believe they have two. There is huge pressure to stay in a marriage for the children, as well as financial pressure of child support, etc. I am sure the OP is thinking about the kid's welfare, and that is another reason to try to make the marriage work, but I don't believe this one can be salvaged, kids, or not. I know I would have been out of the marriage, and sitting in an attorney's office long ago.
It's hard to tell if the marriage can be salvaged until all the cards are on the table. Until all is out in the open, the wife still believes she has control and can manage the situation. She has yet to realize that it is well beyond that stage.

When she finally wakes up (about the time her sister finds out and she reaches rock bottom), she'll be in a better position to think about what this is doing to her family and stop thinking about what it is doing to her. Only then will counseling be an option.

That's not to say the marriage can or cannot be salvaged, just that no one can really know until the lie is truly exposed.

Hubby needs to bring it out into the open. BOTH marriages, as they exist today, are over. The question is, what can or should be salvaged from the wreckage.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I know some people are very conflict avoidant. But your wife's reactions are SO over the top, that I have to wonder if she doesn't want this brought out in the open, because the BIL will have some stuff to say about your wife's actions.

That comment about family coming first? HUGE problem.

Before you nuke the marriage though, I would find a counselor and try that, but I would be preparing for the worst.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships