Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 12:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So all of the witnesses fell victim to a shared delusion or hallucination? They were there to witness a marriage. One would think at least one person would notice if a ceremony didn't happen.
You would think, but we all know that stranger things have happened in this saga.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Interesting. So a woman who knowingly has an affair with a married/partnered man is not guilty of anything?

Not infidelity.

I don't blame people for that for anything, personally, except perhaps poor judgment if they expect more to come from it.

The married/committed (again, assuming monogamy... which is not something to assume, there are A LOT of open marriages and relationships out there) person is the one that made the commitment. Not the third party. They are the one doing wrong.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not infidelity.

I don't blame people for that for anything, personally, except perhaps poor judgment if they expect more to come from it.
How libertine of you.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:49 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
How libertine of you.

Not at all. I believe in responsibility where responsibility lies.
I don't choose to blame people for another's misdeed.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Quote:
Not at all. I believe in responsibility where responsibility lies.
I don't choose to blame people for another's misdeed.
I doubt the OP's pastor would be quite so willing to give her a pass.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:24 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Not infidelity.

The married/committed (again, assuming monogamy... which is not something to assume, there are A LOT of open marriages and relationships out there) person is the one that made the commitment. Not the third party. They are the one doing wrong.
I'm curious why you seem to feel strongly about this? I can see that the married person has a particular and more significant culpability, but aren't you contributing to that if you are their affair partner? If you help someone steal the answers to an ACT test, but you don't use the answers yourself, aren't you contributing to whatever harm comes from someone having the answers?

And if your thinking is that someone will cheat if they're inclined to cheat, do you know that? Perhaps their weak moment will pass if you pause the momentum of whatever is developing between the two of you.

Really, why would you involve yourself in something that is likely to be messy at best? You typically contend that people to bang are a dime a dozen, so why engage someone who is risking a lot more than you are?

Old 01-08-2020, 01:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,073,538 times
Quote:
There doesn't need to be a ceremony, at least not everywhere. In Massachusetts a friend of mine just met a local bar here with the appropriately empowered official and signed the docs. Married.

That is irrelevant. Belle indicated that she married at a courthouse in NC, the state where she has lived her entire life. NC doesn't recognize common law marriage. Either a civil or religious ceremony is required, so she would have had one or the other, most likely a civil ceremony at the courthouse since that is where she thinks they married, and it would have been recorded there. She claimed she had witnesses too.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:45 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
To be clear about what must happen in NC for a valid marriage (summarized from the Wake County Register of Deeds website, and uh ... I've been through this a couple of times):

* Both parties apply for the marriage license in person at the courthouse (Registry of Deeds), providing proof of identification and SSN, and pay $60. If either party had a marriage end in last 12 months, proof of divorce or a death certificate is also required.
* Marriage license is issued and is good for 60 days
* Marriage ceremony can then be performed by an ordained minister, a magistrate, or a federally or state-recognized Indian Nation or tribe. There must be two witnesses who sign the paperwork. If a magistrate performs the ceremony, it is done at the courthouse / Justice Center (depending on the county).
* The officiant files the paperwork. The officiant may also provide a certificate to the couple, but it is just a keepsake, not the legit marriage certificate.
* The legal marriage certificate can be obtained from the Register of Deeds for that county.

So Belle needs to determine if she went "downtown" twice -- once for a license and once for a marriage ceremony by the magistrate. All of this can be cleared up quite easily by calling the Register of Deeds in the county in which they were allegedly married.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:48 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
I doubt the OP's pastor would be quite so willing to give her a pass.
No, but Jesus would; He’s forgiving like that.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 PM

880 posts, read 1,252,495 times
Probably doesn't want to upset his other wife and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships