Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Maybe so.....but I am currently student teaching and will soon have my own classroom of 6th graders so I consider my line of work too crucial to give up and stay home.
That would depend on if you're any good at it. I've met more than one teacher who would have done society a favor to quit to stay at home.

I'm certified to teach high school chemistry, math and physics, BTW

Where are you that you can student teach in the summer? Well, it's summer HERE anyway I completed my student teaching in the spring. I'm painfully aware that it will be a few years before I can say I make a difference. I'm not quite sure what I have to learn yet but I know I have a lot to learn about being effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Both of the wives I know who do this do community service work. I have to say they both make a lot more difference than I did working.
I would have time to do this as well, more so than now. I don't need a paycheck to feel like I am doing my part in society. There are plenty of places to volunteer and contribute (besides raising 2 responsible and productive kids!). I would enjoy a simpler life overall. I like to cook, not so much the cleaning but I could hire someone once a month and keep up with the rest. Plant a garden, maybe some fruit trees, watch the birds and start a new hobby, get together with friends for lunch, do a little shopping (not my favorite thing). Why would I want to go back to a boss and coworkers and meeting someone else's agenda? Blah!!

I guess that sounds boring to some, but not to me.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Of course you have to have the utmost in confidence that your marriage is going to make it to take the risk of being financially dependent.
True... On the other hand, due to the reasons below the marriage is more likely to last. Of course, there are no guarantees. Besides, anything can happen; not necessarily a divorce. It's always a good idea to be employable even if you don't have to work.

Quote:
Some couples just don't like the lifestyle they have with both parties working. There's a lot more free time for the working spouse if there is someone at home to take care of the housework and errands before he gets home.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
True... On the other hand, due to the reasons below the marriage is more likely to last. Of course, there are no guarantees. Besides, anything can happen; not necessarily a divorce. It's always a good idea to be employable even if you don't have to work.
What scares me is that much of what the stay at home spouse does can be replaced by a house keeper at near minimum wage.

Speaking of which, I LOVED having a housekeeper when I was working. It was really nice coming home to a clean house. She didn't cook though. Had to do that myself. Well, if you call what I do in the kitchen cooking .

Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
What scares me is that much of what the stay at home spouse does can be replaced by a house keeper at near minimum wage.

Speaking of which, I LOVED having a housekeeper when I was working. It was really nice coming home to a clean house. She didn't cook though. Had to do that myself. Well, if you call what I do in the kitchen cooking .
I can assure you my DH places a much higher value on me than the monetary amount he can pay a housekeeper. Besides, if DH is just a paycheck I can replace him too.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Not really. I'm sure no man minds having a happy, relaxed, and good-looking wife.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM

41,979 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Kirk Zoerb is an exception: The 27-year-old engineer says he's happiest when his wife is jobless.
"When Catherine stays at home, I feel the house is more together because she has the time to do things like in-depth cleaning and can be more attentive to the garden,"
Yeah, right. And that way he doesn't have to do any of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Oh puleeeze. The only way that works is if wife is wayyy hotter than hubby and he gives in rather than lose her.
Or if hubby has serious control issues. In that case, wife had better beware.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not really. I'm sure no man minds having a happy, relaxed, and good-looking wife.
Does staying home make women better looking?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
rotfl your name is funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Oh puleeeze. The only way that works is if wife is wayyy hotter than hubby and he gives in rather than lose her.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
It's certainly not for the cooking I do that would be a reason my husband would want me to stay at home! I hate to cook.
I started staying at home when I got pregnant with our son more than 15 years ago. When he was little, well, they are a hand full. When he started school I spent a large portion of my time volunteering up at the school.
Now he starts high school and at this point, I've been out of the work force for so long, there isn't a huge point in me going back to work. I do work from home part time though as a bookkeeper/hr person for a construction company.
But even at that, I'll admit I have a bit of time on my hands and I don't mind.
Now add to the mix that my husband works for his company from his home office and is here 90% of the time.
I think he likes having me around .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships