Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is one smart gal, i already knew that but you just proved it.
rep for you good post.
No kidding. I would give a standing ovation if the OP was giving a speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
No kidding. I would give a standing ovation if the OP was giving a speech.
Well....maybe I had her mixed up then with someone else.
I just thought I remember her wanting advice about her BF, and how he didn`t understand her, and he drank alot, etc....

Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
This whole thing occurred to me when I was reading something about back in the day when it was not acceptable to live together, sometimes a wealthy couple would have apartments next to each other with a secret door so it appeared they lived apart but in fact they had close access to each other.

It just made me think this would be the best of both worlds. For example, I can't imagine sharing a checking account with someone or completely turning over the money to my partner. Some nights, I like having the whole bed to myself. Some nights I don't go to sleep until the morning for whatever reason, I don't have to explain that to anyone. Some nights my daughter sleeps with me. I eat in bed, terrible habit but there it is and I am not at my age going to STOP eating in bed. I just had Cape Cod potato chips and French Onion dip, this would annoy most people I should imagine.

I think I have been single for so that I am not fit to be cooped up with someone else. Making that kind of commitmet is a frightening thing.

I think part of it is that I did have a bad experience with my daughters FAther. He had an opinion about my hair, what color it was, how long it was, no decorating in the house that would seem feminine, even down to the furniture, I could have no opinion. I savour being surrounded by flowers, I LOVE my hair short and red and I love how no one has anything to say about it.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
This whole thing occurred to me when I was reading something about back in the day when it was not acceptable to live together, sometimes a wealthy couple would have apartments next to each other with a secret door so it appeared they lived apart but in fact they had close access to each other.

It just made me think this would be the best of both worlds. For example, I can't imagine sharing a checking account with someone or completely turning over the money to my partner. Some nights, I like having the whole bed to myself. Some nights I don't go to sleep until the morning for whatever reason, I don't have to explain that to anyone. Some nights my daughter sleeps with me. I eat in bed, terrible habit but there it is and I am not at my age going to STOP eating in bed. I just had Cape Cod potato chips and French Onion dip, this would annoy most people I should imagine.

I think I have been single for so that I am not fit to be cooped up with someone else. Making that kind of commitmet is a frightening thing.

I think part of it is that I did have a bad experience with my daughters FAther. He had an opinion about my hair, what color it was, how long it was, no decorating in the house that would seem feminine, even down to the furniture, I could have no opinion. I savour being surrounded by flowers, I LOVE my hair short and red and I love how no one has anything to say about it.
the good part of living alone,
being alone is never being blamed
being alone is never having to say you are sorry
being alone is never dealing with more than 1 crazy person.
married men dont live longer it just seems longer.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the good part of living alone,
being alone is never being blamed
being alone is never having to say you are sorry
being alone is never dealing with more than 1 crazy person.
I agree with you there. I live with my daughter who is my primary concern but I am the crazy one. There are times when I have to have silence. AND I mean no matter what else is going on, I have to have silence and how fair would that be if my husband came home after a bad day and needed to talk. There are times when I have to be on my own. I have panic attacks and suffer from PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder. There are times when I struggle to appear normal. It would be really hard to work someone else into my life. At times just the sound of a persons voice annoys me to NO END.

I feel like I have my hands full dealing with my daughter, I just can't add another responsibility to that.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
I agree with you there. I live with my daughter who is my primary concern but I am the crazy one. There are times when I have to have silence. AND I mean no matter what else is going on, I have to have silence and how fair would that be if my husband came home after a bad day and needed to talk. There are times when I have to be on my own. I have panic attacks and suffer from PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder. There are times when I struggle to appear normal. It would be really hard to work someone else into my life. At times just the sound of a persons voice annoys me to NO END.

I feel like I have my hands full dealing with my daughter, I just can't add another responsibility to that.
Nope....not recommended!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I completely understand. That is why I do not believe in marriage.

Quote:
I would love some companionship but I don't think I will ever marry again. Ideally I would love to find someone special, have him buy a house in my neighborhood rather then us living together. We could spend most of our time together but then we could still have time apart. We would have our own space but be close enough that it be convenient to get together.

I just don't think I can attach that ball and chain to my ankle again.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default you say you will...

..."have him buy a house in my neighborhood", how will you do that?

it sounds like you felt shortchanged in some way in the past, but i wonder, how will you have someone buy you a house?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:13 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
...I think I have been single for so that I am not fit to be cooped up with someone else...
Based upon what you've told us, Lindsey_Mcfarren, I tend to agree with you -- you are probably best off living without a man.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to live with a man. You know yourself --what you want, what makes you happy, and what makes you unhappy (like, say, a guy with a 46 inch LCD Sony and the MLB, NBA, and NFL cable TV game packages). Living with a man does not fit into you happiness equation. I say hooray for you. This self-awareness is a real indicator of maturity and sensibility on your part.

Of course, it may be a little harder for you finding a guy who would be comfortable with an arrangment that would make you happy. But that shouldn't keep you from looking.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,693,361 times
I can't even find a guy willing to date me, much less get married!! and I LOVE sports!! I'm not addicted to it or shackled to the tv about it (only during football season!-he he) and I still can't find a man!!
Good for you to express your thoughts, I don't blame you for not wanting to give up your independence and home design, etc. I would hope I could find someone who would appreciate my having a home and not want to take over it as well.
I still hope that I will get married, not because I feel any pressure or it's expected, etc, I just would like to share my love of life, travel, food, etc with someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships